Adult Pardalis Pardalis and Pardalis Babcocki

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've probably seen them and not realized it, but does anyone have a photo or a link to one that shows an adult Leopard pardalis pardalis and an adult pardalis babcocki? I'm wondering if there is a difference in appearance between the two in adulthood... Also wonderin' if my Tank is pardalis pardalis or pardalis babcocki. Thanks.

Sandy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Sandy,
Tank is a S.p.babcocki. There is some difference in the adults, with S.p.pardalis having darker skin and being a larger size than S.p.babcocki.
With hatchlings it's much easier to tell apart. :D

Danny

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Sandy,
Tank is a S.p.babcocki. There is some difference in the adults, with S.p.pardalis having darker skin and being a larger size than S.p.babcocki.
With hatchlings it's much easier to tell apart. :D

Danny

Thanks Dan - I didn't know anything about Tank when I got him a year or so ago and I know our new Leopard tort "Bump" is p. babcocki (much lighter skinned than Tank, much higher shell) but Tank is so much bigger/older than "Bump", wasn't sure if he was p.pardalis.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Sandy, at SJ reptile show last weekend, the 30+ babies, the juveniles with bad pyramiding and the two adults are all pardalis pardalis. The two adults are nowhere near their maximum size as they could grow a lot bigger than that, maybe not as big as a fully-grown sulcata but could be close.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for your responses. It is interesting to me the differences in the shell pattern between the female and male p.pardalis at the SJ show last weekend. The male seemed much more marbeled whereas the female seemed to have clearer rectangle pattern. I also noticed that some of those babies did not have two dots. Anyway, it is just interesting to me and I wondered about Tank - now I know. Thanks!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Sandy,
If you saw hatchlings with less than 2 dots per vertebral scute, than unfortunately they were crosses. From what you said I would assume the female was the one not pure. There are unfortunately quite a few crosses out there.

Danny

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Sandy,
If you saw hatchlings with less than 2 dots per vertebral scute, than unfortunately they were crosses. From what you said I would assume the female was the one not pure. There are unfortunately quite a few crosses out there.

Danny

Hi Danny, I suspect that may be the case. I noticed the dots (or lack thereof) because it was one of the few indicators I knew. :rolleyes: I am learning so much on this forum - thank you for taking the time to enlighten me.:)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Sandy I don't have Leos but I did hear that our very own, EJ (ED) has one on Leos called "Sulcata and Leopard Tortoises" and can be found here http://www.amazon.com/Sulcata-Leopard-To...498&sr=1-1

I couldn't get that link to work, but found it with a search. The title hasn't been released so its available only as a pre-order. Thanks for letting me know about this book!

Status
Not open for further replies.