Confused beginner with a hermann's

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I totally disagree with most of their methodology there on various things; they told me my tortoise was without a doubt female when I've seen his willy and they said I was wrong. I argued my tortoise was an Ibera and that was why he was dark, because he was northern and they said Iberas are light and I had put something on his shell which ahd made it dark.

They also feed cabbage based foods to tortoises because people donate them.
I don't like the fact that they don't rehome any even though they are keeping hundreds in limited spaces, but are still breeding them to sell. I'm sure they do their best as a charity but why not find forever homes for the ones they have? Doesn't make sense to me. I was put off by the boxes of iceberg lettuce they had stacked up (donated form a local shop).

LJL1982

UK
I have visited the ITA in Sully on one of their open days do you go regularly?
I've often wondered why they call themselves 'International' any ideas?
I went there to discuss possibly getting them to hibernate my tortoise one year while i travelled but having spoken to them decided against it. I too was unhappy to see tortoises still out in very small enclosures, with multiples kept together when overnight temperatures were around 3-4 degrees and they were not yet far enough through the year to hibernate; I feel they have too many there to be able to manage all of the temperatures of them due to keeping so many.

Are you local to Sully, I am.

I think the 'International' bit is quite misleading and leads people to believe they have knowledge or authority beyond their size or means.

LJL1982

UK
I don't like the fact that they don't rehome any even though they are keeping hundreds in limited spaces, but are still breeding them to sell. I'm sure they do their best as a charity but why not find forever homes for the ones they have? Doesn't make sense to me. I was put off by the boxes of iceberg lettuce they had stacked up (donated form a local shop).
Further to my other response, I also wasn't a fan of their volunteers and 'employees' leaving positive reviews online for them.
.and sorry OP a bit off tangent.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Further to my other response, I also wasn't a fan of their volunteers and 'employees' leaving positive reviews online for them.
.and sorry OP a bit off tangent.
I don't think the OP will mind - this thread is almost a year old.

I came away from there feeling very sad for the torts - mixed species, overcrowding in very small enclosures - they had 4 large sullies in a space smaller than my garden which I worry isn't big enough for my leopard - and no water or shade on a blazing hot day when I was there.
I've told my family that if anything happens to me my tort is not to go there.