Confused Beginner and would like some advice

fergusaur

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I got my 2-month-old Hermann's tortoise literally yesterday. I Named him Hulu (after the streaming service).
I woke up at 8:am and gave him a 15-20 minute bath, changed his water dish, and then gave him food for the day. Then after he ate, I misted him and the substrate with water from my spray bottle. I especially spayed the substrate underneath the log hide because I wanted to create a moist hide, but he hasn’t really gone in there yet.

He ate for a long time, but then Hulu went to a specific corner near the entrance of the log and went to sleep. I'm concerned that he’s sleeping there because he finds the other area too cold, but at the same time I also understand that he’s a baby, and baby tortoises sleep a lot. As mentioned earlier, this is the first time I’ve ever had a reptile for a pet, so I just want to know that I’m doing everything correctly and that Hulu is acting the way he should be. When I pick him up to check on him, he seems normal. After putting him in his water dish, he’ll just go straight to his food, and then back to the basking area. He literally buried himself in the substrate on the cool side last night and slept there all night, so I’m also wondering if he finds it too cool or moist to sleep there now, or maybe he’s just sleeping in the basking area in order to absorb his UVB and uva, and I’m just overreacting because I’m a brand new tortoise owner. Also, I would like to know what temps should I turn on the ceramic heater emitter. Another question I had was should I keep his food out underneath the Mercury vapor bulb all day, it dries out fast, but he seems to still enjoy it regardless.

• His enclosure is a zoomed tortoise house
• The substrate I use for my enclosure is cypress mulch and jungle mix (fir and sphagnum moss blended together)
• Cool side: 77 degrees with humidity in the ’80s
• Basking area: 89-90 degrees (and still rising) with humidity in the ’50s (currently 54%)
• I use a zoo-med combo dual deep dome for my bulbs
• On one socket I use an 80-watt mercury vapor bulb for basking and heat.
• On the other socket I use a ceramic heat emitter (it’s not plugged in yet, but I have it in the lamp just in case the temperature in my room get too cool)

• The lamp is 11 and half-12 inches away from him as the height range for the bulb as instructed in the manual was 6-16 inches for tortoises.

Attachments

• IMG-5117.jpg
    IMG-5117.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG-5120.jpg
    IMG-5120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG-5121.jpg
    IMG-5121.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG-5122.jpg
    IMG-5122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I got my 2-month-old Hermann's tortoise literally yesterday. I Named him Hulu (after the streaming service).
I woke up at 8:am and gave him a 15-20 minute bath, changed his water dish, and then gave him food for the day. Then after he ate, I misted him and the substrate with water from my spray bottle. I especially spayed the substrate underneath the log hide because I wanted to create a moist hide, but he hasn’t really gone in there yet.

He ate for a long time, but then Hulu went to a specific corner near the entrance of the log and went to sleep. I'm concerned that he’s sleeping there because he finds the other area too cold, but at the same time I also understand that he’s a baby, and baby tortoises sleep a lot. As mentioned earlier, this is the first time I’ve ever had a reptile for a pet, so I just want to know that I’m doing everything correctly and that Hulu is acting the way he should be. When I pick him up to check on him, he seems normal. After putting him in his water dish, he’ll just go straight to his food, and then back to the basking area. He literally buried himself in the substrate on the cool side last night and slept there all night, so I’m also wondering if he finds it too cool or moist to sleep there now, or maybe he’s just sleeping in the basking area in order to absorb his UVB and uva, and I’m just overreacting because I’m a brand new tortoise owner. Also, I would like to know what temps should I turn on the ceramic heater emitter. Another question I had was should I keep his food out underneath the Mercury vapor bulb all day, it dries out fast, but he seems to still enjoy it regardless.

• The substrate I use for my enclosure is cypress mulch and jungle mix (fir and sphagnum moss blended together)
• Basking area: 89-90 degrees (and still rising) with humidity in the ’50s (currently 54%)
• On the other socket I use a ceramic heat emitter (it’s not plugged in yet, but I have it in the lamp just in case the temperature in my room get too cool)

• The lamp is 11 and half-12 inches away from him as the height range for the bulb as instructed in the manual was 6-16 inches for tortoises.
Congratulations on getting Hulu - I have a 21 year old Hermanns tortoise, and he is a wonderful , friendly and entertaining little person - I'm sure yours will be too.And you can get lots of help from this forum, which I wish I could have had 20 years ago too.
I would suggest you put Hulu's food out intermittently through the day, rather than leaving it to dry out, as it will lose some of its nutritional value if it dries.
Good luck and best wishes
Angie

fergusaur

Delaware
Read this and make all corrections and come back if you still have questions.
Thread 'Sticky: HERMANN'S TORTOISE CARE SHEET *UPDATED' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Congratulations on getting Hulu - I have a 21 year old Hermanns tortoise, and he is a wonderful , friendly and entertaining little person - I'm sure yours will be too.And you can get lots of help from this forum, which I wish I could have had 20 years ago too.
I would suggest you put Hulu's food out intermittently through the day, rather than leaving it to dry out, as it will lose some of its nutritional value if it dries.
Good luck and best wishes
Angie
Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
Just a few things I've spotted from your intro:
I believe Sphagnum moss can cause problems if they start to eat it so best to remove. Humidity is difficult to control in open tables. Large vivs are the best option for babies, or some people use a portable mini greenhouse to cover the tables - there may be pictures in the Enclosures thread.
MVB bulbs aren't generally recommended anymore because they can dry and damage shells. T5 HO tubes are used by many members for UVB with flood bulbs for basking. The UVB output fades quickly with MVBs too and they are very expensive to replace.
Do you leave the MVB on all night? Torts need darkness to sleep so the CHE run through a thermostat would be better to keep temps even.
Also the water dish you have is too steep for him and could be a drowning hazard if he tips backwards when trying to get out of the water or if he tips onto his back under the bulb when trying to get in he could die from the heat so it should be removed asap. A shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate would be safer and easier for him to access and exit. Pet stores rarely know about tort care and often sell unsafe equipment for the profit rather than suitability.
This up to date caresheet is a good guide that will tell you about temps, diet , substrate etc.
You may also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful to ID safe plants - mainly UK based but the US has many weeds in common.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Lyn said everything I was going to say. :)

Recap:
-Get rid of the sphagnum moss.
-ZooMed tortoises houses are not suitable for any species or age. Poor design for a tortoise.
-Very difficult to maintain the correct conditions with an open top.
-No mercury vapor bulbs.
-Your CHE needs to be set on a thermostat.
-I'd get rid of the dual dome. You need basking heat on one end or the other. And if you need additional ambient or night heat, it needs to be over the middle of the enclosure.
-Those ramped water bowls are tortoise death traps.
-Read the care sheet that Lynn linked.

Questions are welcome.

fergusaur

Delaware
Lyn said everything I was going to say. :)

Recap:
-Get rid of the sphagnum moss.
-ZooMed tortoises houses are not suitable for any species or age. Poor design for a tortoise.
-Very difficult to maintain the correct conditions with an open top.
-No mercury vapor bulbs.
-Your CHE needs to be set on a thermostat.
-I'd get rid of the dual dome. You need basking heat on one end or the other. And if you need additional ambient or night heat, it needs to be over the middle of the enclosure.
-Those ramped water bowls are tortoise death traps.
-Read the care sheet that Lynn linked.

Questions are welcome.
What’s wrong with Mercury vapor bulbs? I picked it because it provides all I need in one bulb, and I’ve seen good reviews on them as well. The only bad thing I’ve seen about them is that they don’t last that long. And when I told the people at the reptile store I got my turtle from about how I wanted a basking light that also provided uvb and a heater for when it’s cooler temperature they recommended me getting it ur dual dome because it can hold both of what I need at the same time. Whenever my turtle gets done basking, he just stays in his humid hide unless he comes out for the food I laid out for him. Today my Basking spot got to 100 degrees which I wasn’t really comfortable with so I misted the cage and it went do to 94. My humidity is always in the 50’s in my basking area, which is lower than the minimum of 60, so I was thinking of putting some Sphagnum peatmoss as some of the substrate where the lamp is so that way I can increase the humidity and have the temperature be lower without having to mist it constantly. About the ramp, how about I burrow it in the substrate so that it’s at a lower level and therefore safer for the tortoise. Thank u for the tip about the thermostat for the che I’ll definitely invest into that. I can’t really just replace all the stuff I already have l, so are my possible suggestions suitable in your opinion?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What’s wrong with Mercury vapor bulbs? I picked it because it provides all I need in one bulb, and I’ve seen good reviews on them as well. The only bad thing I’ve seen about them is that they don’t last that long. And when I told the people at the reptile store I got my turtle from about how I wanted a basking light that also provided uvb and a heater for when it’s cooler temperature they recommended me getting it ur dual dome because it can hold both of what I need at the same time. Whenever my turtle gets done basking, he just stays in his humid hide unless he comes out for the food I laid out for him. Today my Basking spot got to 100 degrees which I wasn’t really comfortable with so I misted the cage and it went do to 94. My humidity is always in the 50’s in my basking area, which is lower than the minimum of 60, so I was thinking of putting some Sphagnum peatmoss as some of the substrate where the lamp is so that way I can increase the humidity and have the temperature be lower without having to mist it constantly. About the ramp, how about I burrow it in the substrate so that it’s at a lower level and therefore safer for the tortoise. Thank u for the tip about the thermostat for the che I’ll definitely invest into that. I can’t really just replace all the stuff I already have l, so are my possible suggestions suitable in your opinion?
No moss anywhere - it can be dangerous if it inadvertently gets swallowed.
It is a shame you have got expensive equipment which isn't entirely suitable, but following Tom and Lyn's advice will be worth it in the long run to protect Hulu's health.
Angie

fergusaur

Delaware
No moss anywhere - it can be dangerous if it inadvertently gets swallowed.
It is a shame you have got expensive equipment which isn't entirely suitable, but following Tom and Lyn's advice will be worth it in the long run to protect Hulu's health.
Angie
This is the most I’m talking about. Not the actual moss itself. Jungle mix contains the moss and fir mixed together and it works great for his hide area. His hide area is always in the 70’s and has humidities being in the 80’s and low 70’s. U don’t think putting this in the basking area would be sufficient?

Attachments

• EC593297-E138-466E-86DD-18A42CB02B7E.jpeg
    EC593297-E138-466E-86DD-18A42CB02B7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

zolasmum

5 Year Member
This is the most I’m talking about. Not the actual moss itself. Jungle mix contains the moss and fir mixed together and it works great for his hide area. His hide area is always in the 70’s and has humidities being in the 80’s and low 70’s. U don’t think putting this in the basking area would be sufficient?
I am no expert, but I should think anything with moss in might be a bad idea, even if it works well in keeping humidity up. Perhaps you should wait and ask Tom -he will help. I would think that anything with moss in, ingested by a little tortoise like Hulu, could easily swell and cause impaction in his tiny digestive tract.
I' sure you will have a wonderful set-up soon.
Angie

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Sigh...If only one bulb/heat source could do the trick...
Please understand that tortoises are not necessarily the "easy" pets that people have come to believe. Everything listed in the care sheet in post #7 is absolutely true. I understand that it can be overwhelming to be told a lot of information that is contradictory. I have great empathy for you as I was in EXACTLY the same place when I found this forum. I listened, accepted that my "research" could be from the wrong sources, and allowed myself to be "coachable." My Russian tortoise is no longer doing "well," he is THRIVING. Please know that humidity can come from wetting the substrate, moss is not necessary.

fergusaur

Delaware
Sigh...If only one bulb/heat source could do the trick...
Please understand that tortoises are not necessarily the "easy" pets that people have come to believe. Everything listed in the care sheet in post #7 is absolutely true. I understand that it can be overwhelming to be told a lot of information that is contradictory. I have great empathy for you as I was in EXACTLY the same place when I found this forum. I listened, accepted that my "research" could be from the wrong sources, and allowed myself to be "coachable." My Russian tortoise is no longer doing "well," he is THRIVING. Please know that humidity can come from wetting the substrate, moss is not necessary.
You’re right, I spent the whole day thinking about it and I’m going to change my set up tm. I’m going to use ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 18 inch strip bulb, .5 inch water tray (most likely terracotta still deciding). I also decided to ditch the dual heat lamp dope and use a single zoomed heat dome for a 100 watt basking light instead of using my MVB. As a new owner all of this info can be overwhelming, but I want the best for my tortoise so I’ll do the best I can, thanks for tips ?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
You’re right, I spent the whole day thinking about it and I’m going to change my set up tm. I’m going to use ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 18 inch strip bulb, .5 inch water tray (most likely terracotta still deciding). I also decided to ditch the dual heat lamp dope and use a single zoomed heat dome for a 100 watt basking light instead of using my MVB. As a new owner all of this info can be overwhelming, but I want the best for my tortoise so I’ll do the best I can, thanks for tips ?
Congratulations on being "coachable!' It's actually a life lesson...:) You don't actually need a 100 watt bulb. Can you find a regular 65W incandescent flood bulb? NOT and LED. They're cheaper and more reliable. And yes, terra-cotta is PERFECT! Good luck!

fergusaur

Delaware
Congratulations on being "coachable!' It's actually a life lesson...:) You don't actually need a 100 watt bulb. Can you find a regular 65W incandescent flood bulb? NOT and LED. They're cheaper and more reliable. And yes, terra-cotta is PERFECT! Good luck!
On the hermann’s tortoise care guide in this forum it suggested to use one, but I’ll probably just use your suggestion if it saves me a couple of bucks

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Actually, this is the most up-to-date caresheet. It’s the one that I follow as well. Have a read and keep asking questions!

fergusaur

Delaware
thanks, I'll be sure to check it out!

Actually, this is the most up-to-date caresheet. It’s the one that I follow as well. Have a read and keep asking questions!