Concerned about my baby =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Alright everyone, I was hoping I wouldnt have to do this, but alas....

So Im concerned about the baby, He seems to have slowed down, when I first brought him home he was a lot more active than he is now, and Im pretty sure he's not eating as much, i keep him humid and hot, he gets 30 min soaks everyday has a water dish and humid hide in his tank, and i bring him outside for a while when I have the time and the weather permits. help?:(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Need some more details. What are the temperature levels and humidity levels? Does he have a way to escape the humid conditions? How often do you get him outside and for how long?

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I dont have a means to measure either of those =/ I try and get him out there for 1-2 hrs, 2-3 times a week

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not to sound like I'm giving you a lecture, but personally I think a good temp gun or thermometer is essential in this hobby, as well as a humidity gauge of some type. It's even more critical when housing them in a humid environment.

If I were you I would start by measuring those things then go from there. There are a lot of cheap options for reliable temp and humidity gauges.

What is his feeding schedule like? types of foods? supplementing? etc... and do you have a UVB source of some type when he's inside?

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Oh I know and take no offense, I just havent gotten one yet =/ I feed him twice a day, a little bit after his morning soak and a little more when I get home from school, and I use a 100w Powersun MVB, I havent given him any calcium supplement though since he's been getting a lot of natural sunlight, maybe I should start?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would give him some calcium if I were you. If you feed him twice a day, maybe try supplementing during one of those feedings each day for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I wouldn't use calcium with d3 as it seems with the Powersun and natural sun light he should be fine without that. Doesn't sound like he's in too bad of shape, but it's always good to have a sense of urgency if you notice little things like a decrease in activity level.

Another thing, have you changed his enclosure at all since you have had him? Something I like to do is change the enclosure around every week or so. Moving their humid hide, moving their basking spot to a different location, etc... I think it gives them some mental stimulation kind of like a rat in a maze. They are always super active for the first day or so after switching things around.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Hmm I will definitely do both of those, where can I get a temp gun? I know the petsmart by my house has thermometers and such so they should have humidity gauges, I also know they can be quite pricey -_____-

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There have been a lot of threads and suggestions on here for humidity and temperature guages. Do a search and see what comes up. Wal Mart has some good options with digital guages that show both temp and humidity.

I have a relativley decent temp gun I got from Lowe's for about 40 bucks.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
sweet, the hunt begins then, thanks a ton for your suggestions I will try and keep the thread updated as much as possible

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
What Have You Been Feeding Him?
A Good Varied Diet Also Helps Too, Along With A Temp Gun Etc!
Try Buying Spring Mix From The Store, Or Cactus Or Any Dark Leafy Green!
If You Can Get Him Outside As Much As Possible And Soak Him Daily, As You Mentioned Already!

Also Spray his Enclosure and Shell several Times Daily With Water!

jsphr90

5 Year Member
I mist him and and the enclosure several times a day and he is currently on spring mix,, i tried some zoomed grass land tortoise food but I dont think he likes it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.