Concerned new parent

redsn8k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Ca
We brought home Boo (baby Leopard Tort) last weekend from he San Diego Reptile Show.

I noticed after we got home that his poop was a a bit runny. I am feeding him spring mix salad. He clears a salad plate daily.

His enclosure has a basking light on one side and a CHE over his hide on the other. There is also a 5.0 UVB. Substrate is cypress bark spong moss and topsoil. Heat is 85 during the day and has been 75 at night in his Hide.

I am not sure how to tell if he is wheezing? He has a lot of head and front leg movement when he is sitting still? I cannot hear him breathing but obviously he is.

He moves around fine. I have seen him just sitting outside of his hide. Not sure if that would be considered normal.

abclements

5 Year Member
If you can't hear him breathe then you're all good. What humidity do you have him at? 75° might be a little cool if you have him in a closed chamber with 70+ humidity

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Head and leg movement while he is still is from breathing.

I have Leopard tortoises, too. As a fellow "leo parent" I'd like to encourage you to read The End of Pyramiding II and Closed Chambers. Both are threads here on the forum. We want to mimic their natural habitat while they grow. That means a hot and humid environment :)

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Hi. I have been reading up. I have him in a closed enclosure. I am working on regulating temps and humidity. Highs at 97 degrees basking and 87% humidity. Night in his hide is 75.2 degrees and 38% humidity. His hide has a 65watt Che above it. I think I need a 100watt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A constant 80% humidity with temps never lower then 80 is what you want. Low temps and higher humidity will make your baby sick. Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth leopard.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Got the temps and humidity up today. Hide is now mid to high eighties and humidity is 75 to 90 depending on if the fogger is on. I will check out the night time measurements tonight. Thanks for the input.