Concerned about Joe

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
You mentioned garden, does he eat something in it? And do you have any other pets like cats or dogs?

Mitch_spartan

We put him into our garden when sun is shining and ge roams about, supervised of course. He munches on some weeds etc but he hasn't been out for 2 weeks.

Kasia

Poland
We put him into our garden when sun is shining and ge roams about, supervised of course. He munches on some weeds etc but he hasn't been out for 2 weeks.

I was thinking that maybe he could actract some parasites from there. I assume he did not pooped since he stopped eating if he will - save it in a fridge for a fecal exam. If fixing the temps will not help in a week or so I would go to the Vets and checked him out for parasites. He could got them earlier before you have got him as well. Aaaaa and if the weather permits give him all the garden time you can (sunny and 16-18 deg celcius ist still fine for a little russian to roam for an hour or so). Sunshine does miracles on torts :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ladies and gents
Joe is roaming around when he decides he wants to wake up but he isn't eating. He hasn't eaten for over a week. Put him lambs lettuce and little cucumber yesterday. Today, kale,spinach and lambs lettuce.
He used to previously not leave any left overs in sight
It feels so strange reading a thread about Joe when the Joe concerned isn't my tort :D

Torts can go a very long time without food, so my initial reaction is not to panic.

You must soak your tort for a good 30 minutes daily while he isn't eating. Maintaining hydration is essential.

You are sure your temperatures are correct which is good. You have changed things which, even when they're for the better, is another reason for a tort to protest and stop eating.

Torts can be appalling at handling change. They can take weeks, sometimes months, to get used to things. Some are worse than others.

The other thing I picked up on is your kids. Children can be excited over a pet. Tortoises aren't like dogs. They don't want lots of handling, picking out of the enclosure, disturbance and noise. You will have to ask your children to leave him be while he settles.

My approach would be to establish a routine:
1. Have the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day
2. Soak your tort first thing before he's warmed up properly in warm water for a good 30 minutes
3. Use the soaking time to clean up the enclosure and put food in
4. Pop Joe back in and walk away and leave him to it. Don't let anyone disturb him. Give him time and space to be brave and get used to things.

Mitch_spartan

Ok so bathed him for 30mins and put him onto grass for 30mins not into plant area as just put slug pellets down. He had an enthusiastic walk about the grass, now back in his table with fresh food and water.

Kids are scared of picking Joe up so they just say good morning to him

See what happens

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok so bathed him for 30mins and put him onto grass for 30mins not into plant area as just put slug pellets down. He had an enthusiastic walk about the grass, now back in his table with fresh food and water.

Kids are scared of picking Joe up so they just say good morning to him

See what happens
Why only 30 minutes in the grass? You could put his food and water out there and let him have longer.

Make sure that outdoors is secure though. We have had too many lost/escaped tortoise threads recently with torts that are allowed to roam in the garden without a proper enclosure. You only have to be distracted for a moment and they're gone :(

Mitch_spartan

I've got to open my shop so had to leave and couldn't leave Joe in the garden.
Need to make him 4 walls with wood and put some mesh on top to keep birds and cats away so he can be in the garden for longer when kids aren't there to watch him.
He walked straight past his food and back to sleep area.

Mitch_spartan

Hi all just an update.
Joe has been asleep for two days straight and I haven't had time to bath him due to business being very busy. I was worried he was dead yesterday so poked him a little and he moved so left him. He hasn't eaten for nearly 2 weeks.
Today he came out under his lamp. I put him about 5 pieces of cucumber only for a change and he has scoffed them all. So looks like he is improving.
Much happier about him now.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
37.6 under lamp on the slate
20.4 in cool corner
21.9 in sleep area with 79% humidity
You should not go under 27C in cool corner
Under lamp is ok although i recommend 38-44. Make it around 40 then you should worry less.
For humidity, Sleep area best keep it 90ish. Entire enclosure minimal is 80. But i think you should worry about your cool corner for now. :););):D