I’m concerned about my Russian tortoise

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
russians should not be fed fruit, and this includes bell pepper. they cannot digest the sugars. please read up more on russian tortoises!

I would also suggest de-worming just in case of parasites.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am not sure what that behavior is where he opens his mouth and cranes his neck. If you got him from a pet store it is a good idea to take him to the vet and get him checked out, he probably has parasites which is not abnormal. But if he has too many of them it could make him sick. They can also check his breathing. Looks like you have the zoo med tortoise house, take out the divider and let him have more room. Feed him leafy greens, such as endive and escarole or dandelion greens, Turnup greens, things like that. No fruit, no vegetables except leafy greens. Check out the care sheet under the Russian tortoise section and it will tell you everything you need to know. Stick to the information on this website, there is a lot of bad information out there.

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
My russian tortoise makes noises I know he shouldn’t be making. He wheezes. I know he has a pneumonia and worms because vomiting and wheezing is not normal. I keep asking for advice from the pet store and on here but nothing is helping. I can’t afforded vet bills so my only options are to get another tortoise or sell everything and get my money back from the tortoise or to sue the pet store for saying he is healthy.

I wonder if cleaning his water bowl with a bleach solution of 1:10 bleach to water is causing his breathing issues!!!!!!

Ps. I’ve been very stressed out and sick over this tortoise. Christmas was not a good one because I got a sick tortoise.

I really am at a lost here. I’m depressed and getting this pet was mainly so I would have something to live for, so losing him will be the end of me.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
I may be saying something you may not want to hear, but I would seriously consider rehoming the tortoise. Tortoise keeping is not for everyone, and not affording vet bills can be a life or death situation for an animal. Again, sorry if this seems rude but its just my opinion.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My Russian tortoise is sick and I told the pet store I got him from that, and they examined him saying that he is actually very healthy. My tortoise has vomited today and again doodooed green and orange stuff. He took a nibble of a yellow bell pepper and strawberry but I don’t think he ate it. He always opens his mouth like he’s tryna hack something up. I’ve had him for six days. White stuff like bird poop comes out of him too yet he hasn’t eaten anything from me. I don’t want to pay vet bills when the pet store is lying saying he isn’t sick. Honestly, I’ve never seen a live healthy tortoise at that pet store;however, it is winter over here so that could be why they are looking and acting so lethargic.I don’t think I’m cut out for taking care of a sick tortoise, but I’m stuck with him now, Im seriously not allowed to give him away. He is always sleeping or just sitting around.

Background: his substrate is cypress mulch(maybe he ate some), his temperatures are 70-91 degrees Fahrenheit. He has a powersun(uvb and uva light). His humidity is 50%.

I will submit a video of his behavior soon!

I am sorry you are having such a bad experience and that you are depressed. Please do not do anything desperate. If there is any bleach residue in the water dish that could certainly cause problems for the tortoise. But I agree with you that the turtle is suffering from a number of health issues and should not have been sold to you in its present condition. Russian tortoises are subjected to horrible insult in being ripped out of their natural environment and shipped around the world through the pet store pipeline. They need specialized care and are not good candidates for novice petkeepers.

If the pet store will agree to take the animal back and give you a full refund, I think you should consider it. Then reach out to someone on this site who can provide you with a healthy animal as a pet that you can grow along with, learn about and enjoy. You can copy this message and present it to the store. Maybe it will do some good. And if the salesperson rejects you, insist on talking to the manager. And if you can, bring a parent along.

Good luck and I am available to help.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My russian tortoise makes noises I know he shouldn’t be making. He wheezes. I know he has a pneumonia and worms because vomiting and wheezing is not normal. I keep asking for advice from the pet store and on here but nothing is helping. I can’t afforded vet bills so my only options are to get another tortoise or sell everything and get my money back from the tortoise or to sue the pet store for saying he is healthy.

I wonder if cleaning his water bowl with a bleach solution of 1:10 bleach to water is causing his breathing issues!!!!!!

Ps. I’ve been very stressed out and sick over this tortoise. Christmas was not a good one because I got a sick tortoise.

I really am at a lost here. I’m depressed and getting this pet was mainly so I would have something to live for, so losing him will be the end of me.

See my reply to your previous post. Hang in there.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have a CareCredit card for vet financing. It was very easy to apply. I originally got it for my dogs, but the vet said it would cover my tort if needed. Good thing to have for emergency situations especially if your strapped for cash temporarily.

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The open mouth thing might be a respiratory infection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're main problem is that you ask the pet store for advice. Naturally, they're not going to tell you he's sick. They got your money when they sold the tortoise. They don't want to take it back and lose the sale. To settle it once and for all, take the tortoise to the vet.

Bee62

Germany
That is not hissing what the tort showed in the video. That is sneezing ! It could be that he has an respiration infect. Better a VET that is familiar with reptiles had a look on him.
The cage is way too small and it should be closed not open on the top.
How are your temps especially at night in the enclosure ?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would also guess that is a wild caught animal , if it were mine , i'd get a fecal done , and run him through a round of antibiotics ....I realize there is a camp here that believes you need to know exactly what your treating , i'm in the taking a guess and treating for the most likely camp , and going from there if it doesn't work , if there's any discharge they could probably take a look and it shouldn't cost much if anything .... they can persist for a long time before succumbing to some of these infections , but they'll steadily decline ......... maybe somebody who actually has seen that behavior in a normal healthy tortoise could advise you , if he does that regularly , not that I've never seen them gape on occasion , but it's not a regular behavior I ever seen in a healthy turtle ........ I would also block all the see through stuff/glass until he's acclimated , I believe it'd be best for him if he couldn't see out ..... a plant in the middle wouldn't hurt , and it may not be , but it appears dust dry in the enclosure ...

randy5738

5 Year Member
Something that has not been mentioned here, (or I missed it) Russian Tortoises hibernate
mine hibernate from November to March, they cut back on eating about the end of Sept. and become lethargic.
My adult Russians are only active from March to about July (when it gets hot) and August thru Sept. (younger ones are active all summer).
If your vet has examined him and said he was ok, then I would give him sometime
But, he should not be allowed to hibernate if he has eaten anything in the last few weeks.
Ask your vet to give you a care sheet.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
San Jose
Background info: I have a male Russian tortoise, the temperature under the basking light is in the 90’s and the surrounding area is about in the 70’s or 80’s. I bathed him today. He pooped or peed white and brown stuff today. When I got him out a pet store he seemed to always be hidden in a corner.

So I just got my Russian tortoise and he hisses. It scared me at first but I read that the hissing is an involuntary act when they go in their shell. However, he has hissed about six or eight times today and I’m concerned and it also scares me. I think he doesn’t like me because when I first petted his shell he hissed and when I trickled water on his shell he hissed and when I stare at him he hissed, so I’m just leaving him alone right now.

Long story short: my tortoise hisses and I don’t know why. In addition, he hasn’t eating the food I’ve given out today and he only ever bask/sleeps under the heat lamp/uvb. He napped for about an hour and a half and he has been under that heat lamp for three or a little less hours. Should I be concerned?

Omg I luv your story... I laughed so hard I almost had to run to the bathroom!!!!! I have a 7 month old male Russian tortoise and I named him Sheldon. Anywho why I loved your story so much is because my tortoise doesn’t like my husband either he always hisses and gets upset when he looks at or touches him. But when I hold him I talk to him with a baby voice and I coo at him and tell him how handsome he his and that he’s so sweet and I pet his little head and then we lock eyes and he becomes very content he even lets me pet and scratch under his chin like a puppy. It’s so adorable. I think so they can tell man from woman lol, I’ve got that midis touch.

San Jose
I’m a very impatient person and my tortoise has gone too long without eating. I have tried everything. I bathed him. I left him a lone. I pet his shell. He sleeps all day and won’t eat. I expected him to eat, drink water out of his bowl, and climb on top of things and stuff, but he does absolutely nothing. He is frustrating me so bad. I don’t even want him anymore. I don’t like him.

Aww sorry to hear that every tortoise has its own personality and I guess u got the extra grumpy one lol my baby Sheldon is a Russian bout 7 mos old and at first he was snippy n shy but I always bug him I talk to him all the time with a cute baby voice and I tell him he’s so handsome and sweet and I hold him at least 3 times a day and I make direct eye contact as I pet his little adorable head and coo at him and he just luvs it. He becomes very content barely moving him limbs and then when I put him back in his tank he marches over to his food and throws it down. I’m getting him into a routine.

Disney

N.W. PA
I don’t know why I bother cleaning his water bowl and stuff when he doesn’t even like me and I don’t like him.

I think it's a matter of the two of you adjusting to each other. don't forget, alot of Russian tortoises are taken from their home environment in a far away place, then sent to the United States. And even if he wasn't caught in the wild, he probably has to adjust to his new surroundings. Take care of him, clean his cage. The more he sees your hand, the more he will get used to you. Be patient with your new pet. Eventually, he will come running to your hand when he sees you putting in fresh food! I know for a fact your new tortoise will do this after a while. You must have liked him when you brought him home. Imagine being him. Sent from one place to another. He doesn't know that you are trying to give him a nice home yet. I hope you start to like him again. He WILL like you.

San Jose
I think it's a matter of the two of you adjusting to each other. don't forget, alot of Russian tortoises are taken from their home environment in a far away place, then sent to the United States. And even if he wasn't caught in the wild, he probably has to adjust to his new surroundings. Take care of him, clean his cage. The more he sees your hand, the more he will get used to you. Be patient with your new pet. Eventually, he will come running to your hand when he sees you putting in fresh food! I know for a fact your new tortoise will do this after a while. You must have liked him when you brought him home. Imagine being him. Sent from one place to another. He doesn't know that you are trying to give him a nice home yet. I hope you start to like him again. He WILL like you.

My baby finally ate from my hand. It was so cute and sweet. He likes to crunch Romain and kale. It gives me so much joy to watch him eat. I love his tiny tortoise head. He luvs pets on his head.