Concern about Enclosure and photos of my new Tort :)

DSC_7349.JPGDSC_7353.JPGDSC_7407.JPGDSC_7408.JPGDSC_7409.JPGDSC_7409.JPGDSC_7413.JPGDSC_7420.JPGDSC_7432.JPGDSC_7427.JPGDSC_7422.JPGI got my wife a Russian Tortoise :tort: in september for her birthday, this is the first time we have had any pet and we are very happy about it. I used to make fun of people who used to that their pets are like their family members, but i can relate that now and i feel bad of thinking like that before. Anyways, i have a new family member and his name is Lucky :)

I have concerns about his enclosure, i bought 40 gallons glass terrarium (after getting advised by petsmart), but recently my tort have starting showing some stress towards the glass...he keep scratching it and tries to get out. He never used to do that, i am attaching his video.

What should i do? should i change his enclosure or make some changes?

Second concern is humidity, i am trying my best to keep it moist but it been impossible to reach 50% humidity level...max i have been able to touch is 30%. Any advise to keep his enclosure humid all the time?[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/m4b1INplCrA[/video]

Attachments

• DSC_7417.JPG
    DSC_7417.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm sorry to say it, but , once again, an unsuspecting new tortoise keeper has been snookered by the uneducated pet store employee.

Your glass terrarium would be fine for a baby turtle or tortoise, but is not the right home for a full grown Russian tortoise. They need much more space than that. This would be a good start, however...

http://www.neatlysmart.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=24433&gclid=CN_K2eDjvLsCFStBQgodblMAhA

...they really need to be set up in a well-planted yard outside. I know this is the wrong time of year to put a tortoise outside, that's where the link above comes in handy.

For a full grown Russian tortoise, humidity really isn't an issue. If you pour a pitcherful of water (or less) into a corner of the habitat so that it flows down under the top layer of substrate, that would be good enough. They don't need the same humidity as a baby tortoise, and what they get from moist substrate is ok.

jaredherman

5 Year Member
I see a few things wrong. the tortoise doesent know there is glass there hes just trying to walk throught it. Try putting somthing around the bottom so he cant see out. I heard glass is never good for a tortoise. I would try a different substrate for your humidity like coconut coir mixed with organic potting soil.

Thanks @jaredherman and @YvonneG. I know after reading about glass online i knew that I bought him the wrong stuff but like I mentioned he never had any problem with it so kept it that way. But it's getting into his nerves now. I am thinking of using a glass cling.

I was not happy with petsmart too, they told me that he is 3.5 months old, at that time I didn't know anything about tortoise but after coming home and reading more about it I found out that tortoise of this size is a full grown adult approx 3 years.

jaredherman said:
I see a few things wrong. the tortoise doesent know there is glass there hes just trying to walk throught it. Try putting somthing around the bottom so he cant see out. I heard glass is never good for a tortoise. I would try a different substrate for your humidity like coconut coir mixed with organic potting soil.

I am using coconut coir and I spray water ever now and then.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
It's a nit picky thing but his shell is a bit dirty...I'm sure from other tort poo at petsmart....I like to take a soft bristle childs tooth brush to my Eloise's shell. I let her soak in her warm water for awhile and then gently brush her shell....when I first got her she was about the same color as ole Lucky there and now she's bright and more of a green color. also getting all the yuck off helped me see her growth lines. I also hated that bark you have in his enclosure always got stuck in El's shell between her legs and neck. I too bought from Petsmart. I use a 55 gal Rubbermaid tote which gives her plenty of room...I'm upgrading soon though I will be turning a kitchen table into a tort table.

Eloise said:
It's a nit picky thing but his shell is a bit dirty...I'm sure from other tort poo at petsmart....I like to take a soft bristle childs tooth brush to my Eloise's shell. I let her soak in her warm water for awhile and then gently brush her shell....when I first got her she was about the same color as ole Lucky there and now she's bright and more of a green color. also getting all the yuck off helped me see her growth lines. I also hated that bark you have in his enclosure always got stuck in El's shell between her legs and neck. I too bought from Petsmart. I use a 55 gal Rubbermaid tote which gives her plenty of room...I'm upgrading soon though I will be turning a kitchen table into a tort table.

Thanks for your tip about his shell, I am gonna do that today.

I bought a plastic storage bin, it's not as deep as this glass terrarium so I guess it will be much better for air circulation ImageUploadedByTortForum1387486149.934131.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387486176.632244.jpg

lucky_tortoise said:
Thanks @jaredherman and @YvonneG. I know after reading about glass online i knew that I bought him the wrong stuff but like I mentioned he never had any problem with it so kept it that way. But it's getting into his nerves now. I am thinking of using a glass cling.

I was not happy with petsmart too, they told me that he is 3.5 months old, at that time I didn't know anything about tortoise but after coming home and reading more about it I found out that tortoise of this size is a full grown adult approx 3 years.

jaredherman said:

Also, the other day when I was soaking him in water and cleaned it with a towel.. It was very hard to keep him steady, I didn't want to turn him upside Down but I had to. How do you clean your El.?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
If you can, I would return the under the bed bin and get a large Christmas tree box...great time of year to find them and they are huuuuge. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I agree with Jessica. If you'll notice in your picture, the length of the storage bin is the same as the too small aquarium. You want bigger, more floor space, not just shorter sides. Also the under-the-bed-storage bin's sides are too short. Your tortoise would climb right out.

StarSapphire22 said:
If you can, I would return the under the bed bin and get a large Christmas tree box...great time of year to find them and they are huuuuge. :)

Thanks but I don't think I will be returning it, my wife already have her eyes on it :)

True that, I am gonna look for bigger box. I wish I looked at this forum first before investing $100s of dollar on petsmart enclosure. Well, it's better late than never. Thank you guys. ImageUploadedByTortForum1387493163.400139.jpg

Would like to share his sun bathing photos.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
lucky_tortoise said:
Eloise said:

Thanks for your tip about his shell, I am gonna do that today.

I bought a plastic storage bin, it's not as deep as this glass terrarium so I guess it will be much better for air circulation

lucky_tortoise said:

jaredherman said:

Also, the other day when I was soaking him in water and cleaned it with a towel.. It was very hard to keep him steady, I didn't want to turn him upside Down but I had to. How do you clean your El.?

Sorry for taking so long to reply.. I follow her around her little tub with the tooth brush and she usually gives up when she get's into a corner... I don't pick her up to brush her I just gently rub her shell while she's sitting in her tub.