Should I make a boundry in my glass indoor enclosure

tijnvdheuvel

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
My 5 year old Sulcata tortoise seems to keep banging against his glass enclosure recently I've been looking into it and it seems like glass confuses him. Should I cover the glass walls (The bottom 10 cm) so he can't directly walk into an "Invisible" wall?

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Yes do it. Also share pics of the enclosure because probably theres more things that need improvement

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A 5 year old Sulcata should be far too big for a glass enclosure. I suspect your tort is telling you it needs more floor space.

I suggest you give this a read and compare it with your setup

tijnvdheuvel

Netherlands
So I suspect my little guy has had improper diet for while, last month or so I started researching after stumbling across a few articles about what his size should be... I, as my others had been told the wrong stuff at the reptile shop.
My tort weighs an 338 grams (0.72 pounds)... and is about 13 cm (5.1 inch)
I just read the guide and will be changing his drinking dish to one that is easier accesible since I suspect I've been sold one for snakes and other reptiles...

tijnvdheuvel

Netherlands
Here are some photos of the enclosure....
I'll get some better pictures of the tort when he gets out of it's hide.20201215_155115.jpg20201215_155022.jpg20201215_155014.jpg20201215_155009.jpg20201215_155002.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You need to do more then change a water dish. A healthy 5 yr old Sulcata should weigh 40-50 lbs. and would not fit in any glass aquarium. Please read that care sheet that JoesMum posted for you...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You need to do more then change a water dish. A healthy 5 yr old Sulcata should weigh 40-50 lbs. and would not fit in any glass aquarium. Please read that care sheet that JoesMum posted for you...
Just now saw the habitat. Cute and obviously a nice place to live. But what is his diet? Something is wrong tho

tijnvdheuvel

Netherlands
Just now saw the habitat. Cute and obviously a nice place to live. But what is his diet? Something is wrong tho
Untill recently he's been getting way less fibers than he should be getting, (I suspect)
Before that he usually got bell pepers, lettuce, aragula, spinach. And in the summer he would sometimes be let outside on the grass.

Currently he's getting dried grasses mixed with some fresh grass I cut from the field in the garden (70 ~ 80 percent). As well as some lettuce. (I put some vitamin & calcium supplement on it each other day)

So this was the previous dish after reading the article from joesmum I changed it to the one in the pictures above.
20201215_160522.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest