Russian Tort enclosure

tortoisenoob42

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Okay so i am on a very limited budget meaning the only things i can buy are the tort itself lights heat lamp and substrate everything else is diy. but my main design would kinda of be a L shape but a little bit more room in the middle. the tort im getting is gonna be a male russian cause sadly i can not set up a outdoor enclosure due to the fact that i am on a flood plane and there are a lot of predator that would simply tear up my enclosure soooo. this gy is gonna be indoors for most of his lif so i want to make sure he is as comfortable as he can be. Another design idea was to have a piece of glass on one side so i can see while im sitting at my desk......but i read tht if a tort can see through it hes gonna want to go through the glass. So would i be able to use a glass plane or not?
BTW I will post some drawing pictures and the intended are for where my enclosure is going.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Glass is ok. You may have to put paper around the bottom so he can't see out. It's not always a problem though. Looking forward to seeing your plans.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
This is one of my drawings it is a very crude picture but there will be more details soon to come. I am thinking of making it a multi tier system so there might be three or two im still deciding. Those dashed lines is to represent the supposed glass pane that im intending to install. im also thinking of putting a rock pile in the layout cause i know russian torts lovveee to climb. img001.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Plexiglass is easier to work with than glass. You may need to brace it or use smaller panes, since it's not as rigid as glass. Cheaper, too.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
this is the area where i plan to put the enclosure. In the back left hand corner i plan to put the three level tower back there or two. im still trying to figure out the ramps and stuff but tht way it has two walls that cant support it on either side.IMG_0007[1].JPG

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
Plexiglass is easier to work with than glass. You may need to brace it or use smaller panes, since it's not as rigid as glass. Cheaper, too.
well im using glass cause i have worked with it for a while. plus i have a lot of glass planes so it would be really easy just to use glass.

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
Have to say the Russians are very confident and certainly do like to climb. I would say glass as it won't get scratched so easily. Allow a five inch blacked out bottom of the glass , I bet he will still stretch up and look lol. They like to slide too !!! Daft but they do, a slate ramp works well for this and will keep claws down too. They will literally do circuits at great speed , good bright lights are a must if you want them to be active. And they like to burrow so if you can give them a deep area of substrate he will literally disappear !!! But will soon pop up when he gets to know your voice etc. they're great starter torts in my opinion hardier than most and pretty forgiving, just try and grow him slowly as they can be greedy :0)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using glass tanks to house tortoises, including russians, for decades with no issues.

What concerns me is that your enclosure is a little on small side. Russians need a lot of room to move about. Perhaps the multiple levels will help.

Also, I think you are too quick to dismiss the outside enclosure. Its not hard to make a temporary enclose from either 2x12 or cinderblock and put a simple 2x4 framed lid with welded wire on it. Being on a flood plain and having predators around should not deter you at all. Everyone had predators around. I live out in the country with coyotes, raccoons, bobcats, mountain lions, bears, snakes, ravens and hawks, etc... I've never had one problem. You can put the tortoise outside during nice weather when you have time and bring him inside at night or during rain, cold, or any extreme weather. Check it out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
The list of predators you have Tom is pretty scary lol .... Our biggest threat are badger and fox or the pet dog. Or the neighbours cat that likes to use the torts pen as a litter tray !!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The list of predators you have Tom is pretty scary lol .... Our biggest threat are badger and fox or the pet dog. Or the neighbours cat that likes to use the torts pen as a litter tray !!!

Its not as bad as it sounds. In 20 years I've only actually seen a mountain lion 3 times. They are very secretive and wary. Same with the bears. My point in listing them is that they are all present, but it presents no problems for my outdoor housed tortoises.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
Have to say the Russians are very confident and certainly do like to climb. I would say glass as it won't get scratched so easily. Allow a five inch blacked out bottom of the glass , I bet he will still stretch up and look lol. They like to slide too !!! Daft but they do, a slate ramp works well for this and will keep claws down too. They will literally do circuits at great speed , good bright lights are a must if you want them to be active. And they like to burrow so if you can give them a deep area of substrate he will literally disappear !!! But will soon pop up when he gets to know your voice etc. they're great starter torts in my opinion hardier than most and pretty forgiving, just try and grow him slowly as they can be greedy :0)

how deep of a substrate do you recommend?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You will need to get creative with design to make a suitable indoor enclosure in the limited space that you have.

Here is an idea. Why not build the second story larger than the first story. Russians have no fear of climbing upward. So, build a ramp that leads up to a 15" by 96" second story. I would have a water dish on both levels but keep the basking light on the first level along with a food slate. Also put in some sight barriers to break up the long walls. Make the ramps about 6 1/2 " wide to allow the tort to turn around on the ramp should they wish.

And a third story is absolutely possible. I like to build each story so that it can be separated from the others for easy cleaning and to allow modifications if desired.

Good luck and remember to put cap rails on the walls or corners because Russians like to climb corners.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
You will need to get creative with design to make a suitable indoor enclosure in the limited space that you have.

Here is an idea. Why not build the second story larger than the first story. Russians have no fear of climbing upward. So, build a ramp that leads up to a 15" by 96" second story. I would have a water dish on both levels but keep the basking light on the first level along with a food slate. Also put in some sight barriers to break up the long walls. Make the ramps about 6 1/2 " wide to allow the tort to turn around on the ramp should they wish.

And a third story is absolutely possible. I like to build each story so that it can be separated from the others for easy cleaning and to allow modifications if desired.

Good luck and remember to put cap rails on the walls or corners because Russians like to climb corners.
Oh believe i am defiantly doing multiple levels my main question is how steep can those ramps be? i don't want to make them so steep for when they cant even get up it. I am about to put another drawing picture on here on a hideaway/ramp entrance

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
So back with another drawing lol. I'm sorry there are no actual wood pictures. We recently had part of our dry wall ceiling fall through due to water damage and my work space is all cluttered with junk. Plus i don't have any wood yet but i will soon.
The way i am setting this part of the enclosure up is by having the torts hideaway box so he can have a safe place to go or to go to sleep. I will soon have another picture up about the whole layout. basically where his food is gonna go and his rock pile heat lamp etc etc.tort box.jpg

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
I've been using glass tanks to house tortoises, including russians, for decades with no issues.

What concerns me is that your enclosure is a little on small side. Russians need a lot of room to move about. Perhaps the multiple levels will help.

Also, I think you are too quick to dismiss the outside enclosure. Its not hard to make a temporary enclose from either 2x12 or cinderblock and put a simple 2x4 framed lid with welded wire on it. Being on a flood plain and having predators around should not deter you at all. Everyone had predators around. I live out in the country with coyotes, raccoons, bobcats, mountain lions, bears, snakes, ravens and hawks, etc... I've never had one problem. You can put the tortoise outside during nice weather when you have time and bring him inside at night or during rain, cold, or any extreme weather. Check it out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/
Oh i plan on building a outdoor enclosure its just that it is not on my priority list. I would love to set one up but i am on a very limited budget and im getting some of my wood for free. I will make an outdoor enclosure eventually.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Regarding the ramp steepness, I find a 6 to1 grade works well. The Russians can handle a much steeper grade, but for going downhill the Russians prefer a less steep grade. Putting a rough or textured surface on the ramp is important for allowing the Russian to feel comfortable move up and down the ramp. Putting sides on your ramp will make your Russian more comfortable. For steeper grades, try building a step like design to give them a better grip.

In my opinion, while Russians may seem fearless in their climbing, I think it comes from a natural stubbornness to not let an obstacle stand in their way.

Good luck.

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
So time for another idea.....Russian torts love to climb and run around. So im thinking about making a tower that will lead to the top of my entertainment area so that way hes has a lot to climb and never get bored.IMG_0011[1].JPG

Also the second idea i have is to have a long walkway drilled onto my wall leading to my bed. At the end would be a big enough platform to hold the tortoise and big enough to allow him to turn around walk back to his enclosure. Buttttttt this is just an idea as of right now and i have no idea how it will work out.IMG_0012[1].JPG

Gordi

Warwickshire,England
Certainly creative .... So many considerations too. Bear in mind ease of cleaning and the impact the entire set up will have on the room. But well done on thinking big !!

tortoisenoob42

North Carolina
Certainly creative .... So many considerations too. Bear in mind ease of cleaning and the impact the entire set up will have on the room. But well done on thinking big !!
well cleaning wise the main enclosure would hold most of the substrate idk if i would put substrate on the extras i might put dirt. And the impact wouldnt be that bad on the room. I have a lot of home made stuff that i built so it would blend right in.