Comrad's new penthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
las Vegas, NV
Ta Da! It's done. Poor Comrad has had a small rubbermaid container as his bedroom until we got the funds to make him a really nice penthouse. That was built and set up yesterday!!!!

He has a basking area (with rocks around to hopefully hold in heat well), a hidey under his basking cause he seemed to like that before. A swimming pool, set up on a tile and surrounded by rocks in the hopes that it will heat up well and hold in the heat too, an upper level that we will put plants on, and underneath that is an area for him to burrow and dig. The whole top is open, and then my husband also put in vent holes above where the substrate stops for more ventilation.

Let us know what you think.

We still need to add plants and seedlings, and change out his regular basking bulb for a UVB one (he's getting sun daily, if not every other day), but for now at least he has more space.

1st pic is of the overall penthouse (without his light, or plants yet)
2nd pic is looking from his raised area towards his basking spot & swimming pool
3rd one is looking from basking spot to his upper level
4th one is a hidey hole UNDER his basking spot
5th picture is of his plaque on his penthouse. This way we don't argue about when we got him (tee hee), and if (God forbid) he ever goes somewhere else he can take his home and they know when we got him and what he had named him :tort:
:tort: He is happily running around checking out his new digs today.

Attachments

• DSC04497.JPG
    DSC04497.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC04511.JPG
    DSC04511.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC04512.JPG
    DSC04512.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC04501.JPG
    DSC04501.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC04534.JPG
    DSC04534.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 111

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Wow! I'm no expert on indoor enclosures but that is a really impressive home for Comrad! Looks fantastic. x

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I take it Comrad is a Russain? Nicw digs for the little guy, whatever he may be.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
Thanks everyone!!! He is still exploring it and getting used to it - but is outside get his SUN on so he will have to explore it more thoroughly this afternoon :)

@Zamric - yes Comrad is a Russian :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, Kaissa, that is fabulous. You have the knack.
I would be running around checking it out, too!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
How did you make his enclosure? is it a store bought piece of furniture? I am looking to build a new enclosure for Morla and give the new leopard baby her old enclosure?

Thanks

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Iowa
Wow that's crazy how great it looks. It looks professional. I've be worried about never seeing Regina if she had that many hiding places. If you wouldn't mind sharing your secret blueprints, I'd love to build something like that!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I could see a nice little Leopard in there.... Now if I only had the blue prints AND a Leopard tortoise to put in it! :p

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
LOL! Thanks everyone! My husband and I designed it so that it would look like a piece of furniture that would match my buffet, dining table and entertainment center. I told him how big I wanted it and where I wanted it to go. He then drew it out and the next day my daughter and him built it. He then brought it home and I helped him to stain it, poly it and landscaped it. We got all of the material from his workplace (it was left over odds and ends) so the only cost to us was the substrate. I even went around the valley and scrounged all of the rocks :) I will have to see if he still has the drawing, if so I will be happy to post it.

Jason M

5 Year Member
uk, Somerset
that is amazing, i know my rt's would love that.
if you could find those drawing.
would be nice to see it with all the plants in it.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
slowpoke said:
did you ever get a pic of how the lights go in there ... i would love to see that part , did you make a top for it ?

On the penthouse at the top is a shelf that is part of the whole enclosure to clamp the lights on. We did not put a top so that he has lots of ventilation so we don't have to worry about any mold growing or anything. I'll have to get a new pic to post that shows the lights... I don't have one of those :)

Status
Not open for further replies.