college kids...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colormyworld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
terryo said:
My son is leaving for Florence Italy to study for three weeks, and I'm a nervous wreck!! He's going to get three credits (which he doesn't need, so I don't know why he's going...I guess I do know). I have never been this nervous in my life. Of all my 5 children, he is the only one who got to go to college...we couldn't afford it for the others. He is in his last year up-state in Binghamton U. Has anyone else gone to Italy or another country to study...and were you robbed (I know that sounds crazy) but he's staying in college housing, and he will be rooming with his cousin, who's going also. I hope I live through this next three weeks....any words of encouragement for me??? Please...... Anything bad happen to anyone...anything good???

I'm originally from PA, and live in NYC now. I just wanted to say not to worry too much. I spent a year in Venezuela as an exchange student when I was 16-17, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever had the opportunity to do. I didn't know anybody, I didn't know Spanish, and I knew next to nothing about the amazingly rich Venezuelan culture before I left, and came back a different person. If you have any specific questions I am always willing to talk people's ears off about it lol...and it was 9 years ago! This has the potential to be an incredible milestone in your son's life. So yes, you have reason to be nervous...you are a mom! But by letting him go, you are giving him a priceless gift. I still feel grateful to my parents for letting me do it at that young. I raised the money myself, but without their consent it would not have been possible. Good luck to your son!!!!!

Jessica

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Jessica, and thank you. My son left yesterday. His flight was at 5 and he would make a stop at Rome and then on to Florence. I still have not heard from him and it's 5 am now in Florence. A few hours ago I called the coordinator and asked if he could find out if he and his cousin made it there, because the last I spoke to him was when he was on the plane waiting for it to take off. We made a thing that he would not use his cell phone to call unless it was an emergency (it's 5 dollars a minute to call from the cell phone) and we would communicate through skype. So the coordinator on this end called up the dorm in Florence and then he called me back and told me that they got there OK and were settled in the dorm, but they weren't set up for the Internet in his room yet. So at least I could sleep tonight. I called Verizon too late for them to change the phone to international calling...they said it would take 14 days.
I really don't know if I could do what your parents did. It was wonderful of them to do that for you, and you were so young too. My son is 22 and in his last year in college. No one in my family has gone so far away from home before, so we are all so nervous now. He is a good kid, and I wanted him to have this experience.
Oh, by the way, do you have any tortoises?:D:D

colormyworld

5 Year Member
New York, NY
I'm glad they got there in one piece. Remember it's only 3 weeks and it will go by in a flash...for you and especially for them! Some of the photos from my year abroad are here: http://gallery.me.com/jessicamellow/100070 You can see I was able to see and do a lot of things I wouldn't have been able to had I not gone. I hear you as far as the calling...I stuck to email and once a month calls. Which, in my family, is nuts...I talk to my mom every day. Sometimes multiples times per day. But it allowed me to immerse myself in the culture and adapt to my host family. :)

I have one tortoise, a redfoot I got just a few days ago. She's a doll, and so curious! I raised reptiles my whole life but haven't had one in years, so she's my first since 2005!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Terry I almost didn't look at this thread (since I'm not a college student :D). I know how you feel with your son going to a different country and all. :( Lawrence (my 25 year old) had a chance this summer to go to South Korea and did go. It was a wonderful experience for him, but if it was up to me he probably wouldn't have went. The only way we communicated was through internet. :( He is much more adventurous then I am. I'm now glad that he had this experience because it was an experience of a lifetime. He made a lot of friends from other countries over there and he stills talks with them on Facebook. I'm so glad that he had this chance to go now. :) At least you son will have his cousin there with him, that should make you feel better that's he's with someone he knows. Anyway let us know how it goes with him and if you can post some pictures when he gets back. :shy:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Jessica..what a beautiful girl you are and thanks for those great pictures. Do you have a boyfriend? And you live in NYC too??? Hmmmmmm ......How old did you say you are??? Do you like younger boys??? He's 22, 6'1" and very good looking...so I've been told. ;) :D:D:D
He finally e-mailed me and was on his way to class.
Candy...I probably won't get a good nights sleep until he comes home. My husband stares into space and looks out the window all day. Worse then me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Laughing fondly at you Terry. Know what your going thru all too well, except the only country one of mine has traveled to so far was Canada. You did a great job of raising you son and you know he is a smart kid, he will do fine...and so will you! *hugs* We raise our children to have their wings so they can fly and then when the time comes for them to fly, we have these momentary wishes that they would not fly. In time you will see these few weeks as a great experience for both of you. You will find yourself wishing the rest would get the same chance (then worry your butt off when they do go. :D) Just keep busy.

colormyworld

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Haha Terry, thank you! I've definitely aged from back then, it's been almost 10 years...well, more like 8 or 9, but details details... :p Not attached though lol. Are you in NYC as well? I see you are in NY, but not whether you are in the city or not. Is your son into reptiles too?

Believe me, this time will fly by. I bet he is having a blast! You should do something for yourself, to tke your mind off him being gone (or even to take advantage of him being gone. SPA DAY! Or date night with the husband. Have fun and celebrate the fact that you raised some awesome kids all the way to adulthood, which is even tougher than raising tortoises I bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.