college kids...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
My son is leaving for Florence Italy to study for three weeks, and I'm a nervous wreck!! He's going to get three credits (which he doesn't need, so I don't know why he's going...I guess I do know). I have never been this nervous in my life. Of all my 5 children, he is the only one who got to go to college...we couldn't afford it for the others. He is in his last year up-state in Binghamton U. Has anyone else gone to Italy or another country to study...and were you robbed (I know that sounds crazy) but he's staying in college housing, and he will be rooming with his cousin, who's going also. I hope I live through this next three weeks....any words of encouragement for me??? Please...... Anything bad happen to anyone...anything good???

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
terryo said:
My son is leaving for Florence Italy to study for three weeks, and I'm a nervous wreck!! He's going to get three credits (which he doesn't need, so I don't know why he's going...I guess I do know). I have never been this nervous in my life. Of all my 5 children, he is the only one who got to go to college...we couldn't afford it for the others. He is in his last year up-state in Binghamton U. Has anyone else gone to Italy or another country to study...and were you robbed (I know that sounds crazy) but he's staying in college housing, and he will be rooming with his cousin, who's going also. I hope I live through this next three weeks....any words of encouragement for me??? Please...... Anything bad happen to anyone...anything good???
My daughter went to Italy/Spain/France with People to People when she was 16. 2 weeks, no robberies. It was a great experience for her, and she made forever friends while there (among her travel mates). Yes, I was a bit nervous while she was gone, but I was hoping for the best. Best wishes to your son, and tell him to keep quarters and a little package of Kleenex on him all the time ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my sister has been travleing a lot the past few years and LOVES IT! nothing bad..
Just use common sense like you would here. and be careful driving.. just like here.

Lisa Anne

5 Year Member
Anaheim, CA 92806
There is not very much violent crime in Italy. There are LOTS of pickpockets and scammers on the steets. You can get some great "deals" on watches and rings. He will find English speakers everywhere and have a wonderful time. Tell him not to drive if the chance comes up. It seems like stop lights and crosswalks are suggestions only for the drivers. Pay toilets and not public. The only real fear I would have is that he will love it so much that he will want to go back there to live. My kid is 17 and going away to college in upstate CA so I feel for you.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
My stepdaughter went to the south of France as an exchange student (sophomore college) for
six weeks. She had the time of her life, learned a new culture, met new friends and she still can't stop talking about it. It's a great opportunity, he shouldn't pass it up. Be strong Mom.:)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Terry, my hubby and his family are Italiens and they only have good memories about it. My boss went to Italy last year, and the only thing was at the airpost, there is some gypsies waiting for the tourist and steal their things but they are not dangerous, so if he is careful, everything is going to be fine just let him know to be careful. My surgeon went to Italy in 2010 and he loved it. I am sure he is going to love it :) And do not worry, it is not a dangerous place. Do you know in which city he is going to stay?

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I know how ya feel Terry.My 19 yr old daughter wants to go to London for a semester.If I had a son I probally wouldn't have any problem with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lisa Anne said:
There is not very much violent crime in Italy. There are LOTS of pickpockets and scammers on the steets. You can get some great "deals" on watches and rings. He will find English speakers everywhere and have a wonderful time. Tell him not to drive if the chance comes up. It seems like stop lights and crosswalks are suggestions only for the drivers. Pay toilets and not public. The only real fear I would have is that he will love it so much that he will want to go back there to live. My kid is 17 and going away to college in upstate CA so I feel for you.

Hi Lisa Anne:

(Terry, please excuse my little foray into the OT realm)

Welcome to the forum!! Please take a moment to start your own thread and introduce yourself.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I know a lot of people who studied abroad in Italy, Denmark, and Spain. Everyone I've talked to said it was an incredible experience and they made great friends and memories that will last a lifetime ;)
I wish I had studied abroad in Spain. If there's one thing I could change about my college experience, it would be that I had studied abroad!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you everyone. He's packing now, and I'm a mess! Everyone said this is a wonderful experience, so I'm smiling away here, for his sake because I don't want him to think I'm worrying. Ha!!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Have a glass of wine Terry...You can always skype with him while he's there.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
zzzdanz said:

YES! We set that up last night and I even have a clock in my room with the time in Florence so we know when to call each other. We set it up on my comp. and his lap top that he's bringing so we can even see each other. This is the first time that any one in my family is going so far away, so I guess that's why I'm so nervous. He's a level headed kid, so I'm sure he'll be OK.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
In Highschool I went to study in Germany for 6 months as an exchange student.

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

Of all the great things my parents did for me this was by far the most enriching. At the end of my stay I spent a month traveling around europe with 2 german friends with nothing but a railpass and a backpack. I saw scotland, wales, ireland, england, norway, sweden, denmark, france, italy and switzerland. I regret that the eastern block was still largely off limits at that point. I was never robbed, though I did spend one night under a bridge, one night in an alley, and one night under castle ruins that had been inhabited by my ancestors.

Frankly, 3 weeks isn't enough, once he has a taste of it, I bet he wants more.

It is an incredible chance to grow and open horizons. Its amazing how similar, and yet totally different things can be.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
terryo said:
zzzdanz said:

YES! We set that up last night and I even have a clock in my room with the time in Florence so we know when to call each other. We set it up on my comp. and his lap top that he's bringing so we can even see each other. This is the first time that any one in my family is going so far away, so I guess that's why I'm so nervous. He's a level headed kid, so I'm sure he'll be OK.

And he can send ya some good wine...My wife was as nervous as you are when my oldest left for school, and she's only 45mins away.My 3 girls are my everything,and I'ld freak if something happened to 1 of them far enough away that I couldn't get there.I guess it's it's a parent thing, and ya have to let'em go eventually.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
dont worry he will be fine.. i studied abroad, i went away for 6 months and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.. let him go and enjoy and dont be a wreck he is going to be just fine, i promise ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I heard a long time ago that gangs of street kids in italy would run up to someone toss a doll dressed like a baby at someone and then rob them while they try to figure out what was happening, I wonder if it still goes on? I promised myself if I ever went to italy I would avoid catching any "babies" tossed at me. Overall I think a little education traveling is a good thing.

moswen

5 Year Member
haha! my little sister is currently living in garmish, germany, on an army-vacation base, but she works a second job off site at a coffee shop. she walks to and from the coffee shop, by herself mostly, and she's 22... and, without sounding conceited, she's attractive lol!

she's never been accosted, robbed, bumped into..... certainly it does happen, but mostly i believe it happens to people who look like "tourists." i mean, how many dark allewyas is he going to walk along at night by himself? esp. if he goes with his cousin, i think he will be fine.

one of my favorite things about overseas is that EVERYONE, everyone that can speak english anyways, which is a good majority of them... they're SO NICE, and helpful, and a couple of times some people noticed that kyle and i looked confused, and helped us find our way! if you ask anyone for directions, they'll help you out. people over there are not "inconvenienced" by tourists, like we are here. ugh, they don't have any personal space either though, i was about to flip out on everyone who bumped into me. if you're walking along a narrow street, they really do not care if they knock you over with their shoulder trying to get past you. happens all the time. i have really big personal space issues so it really bothered me a lot more than it bothered kyle.

but what an opportunity! to go to italy and study! where in italy is it? my sister gets a lot of free time from her jobs and she goes on a lot of trips, her favorite place so far is a collection of 5 cities all basically a mountainside/cliffside facing the ocean, called "tinquentera" or something along those lines, it's in italy. he may hear of it when he's down there, she says it's very non-touristy and you really get the feel for living in another country there...

the worst part about my anniversary last year with kyle is that we went to greece, and athens was soooo "touristy" feeling, they even ha MTV in english over there. not dubbed, really broadcasted in english. i wish i would have been able to find a place that made me feel like i was really getting a good feel for greek life!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I moved to Hungary for two years when I was 19. While there I walked all around the "wrong" sides of town and had a couple scary moments, but that's because I was in places most people who don't live there would never dare go. As a 3 week tourist he'll be plenty safe except for pickpockets. Have him keep his wallet in his front pocket and don't flash money around (pay with large bills and get a lot of change back, etc.)

I've also lived in Germany for 3 and traveled all across Europe at one time or another. I've only spent 1 night in Italy, but all the Italians I've known have been great people. Driving is crazy and in 3 weeks he won't have long enough to learn how to survive on those roads. Avoid at all costs.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I've had a lot of friends that studied abroad, I was always jealous because I wasn't able to go. They only had good things to say & I don't remember hearing any horror stores. Just funny ones at them being the foreigners over there and doing something silly. (like not saying something correctly or ordering something they thought was something different) I also have a family member who lives in Greece, she absolutely loves it!! She misses her family but says that it is beautiful and is so glad she went. Nothing any of us say will make you stop worrying, but I've heard only good things of people studying abroad so hopefully that will help some :) Happy skyping!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just want to say "thank you" to everyone. I really loved hearing all the stories of your travels, and your friends travels. I feel a lot better now. One more day.....Yikes!
Happy New Year to all, and I hope that 2011 brings you all good health and happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.