Collecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I collect Eastern Box turtles, lichens, California rocks, California native plants, natural oddities, etc. I'm always picking up an interesting rock and putting it in the bed of my truck, or in my pocket (my wife hates when they clink around in the dryer).

Steve

vanillapooh1979

5 Year Member
My collections: Stray kids, cats, dogs turtles/tortoises, ph wait you mean outside of those? LOl I collect carved elephants, seashells, and old glass.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Skeleton keys, antique steamer trunks and designer/hybrid hibiscus.

clare n said:
Salt n pepper shakers, although not intentionally.... I started with one set of vw beetle ones, then someone saw them and gave me a cow set... Now I have around 12 but I have never actually bought any? I'm not even really that keen on them... It's just gone a bit too far now for me to say I don't actually like them to people haha :D
I think salt and pepper shakers are an adorable thing to collect! Buuuuut a word of warning....
I worked for a man once who had a picture of a lighthouse in his waiting room from the previous business dweller. A client saw it, assumed he liked them and gave him a figurine. Someone who visited the lighthouse the figurine was modeled from recognized it and gave him a framed photograph. It snowballed into a clinic wide theme (100's!) over the course of a few years and everyone would bring him lighthouse themed gifts for every occasion. In reality he was afraid of the ocean and never visited a light house in person. If you hate salt and pepper shakers- be vocal about it now ;)

katherine said:
Skeleton keys, antique steamer trunks, succulents from dive resorts I visit and designer/hybrid hibiscus.

I think salt and pepper shakers are an adorable thing to collect! Buuuuut a word of warning....
I worked for a man once who had a picture of a lighthouse in his waiting room from the previous business dweller. A client saw it, assumed he liked them and gave him a figurine. Someone who visited the lighthouse the figurine was modeled from recognized it and gave him a framed photograph. It snowballed into a clinic wide theme (100's!) over the course of a few years and everyone would bring him lighthouse themed gifts for every occasion. In reality he was afraid of the ocean and never visited a light house in person. If you hate salt and pepper shakers- be vocal about it now ;)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Haha I don't hate them, we're moving soon I will find a little shelf somewhere for them, I haven't received any for a while :) when it gets too much I will say something lol. I love listening to what people collect! When I was little I used to collect erasers in all sorts of novelty shapes etc :) im 28 now, not sure what happened to them over the years....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I collect rocks and logs (for my yard and enclosures) along with (of course) turtle and tortoise themed items. I also have an extensive skull/halloween collection (I have things like skeletons, crows, etc.) a horse/western themed collection, and a tiger themed collection. Different rooms in my house have different themes.

I am an EXTREMELY picky person. If a tiger or turtle or skull looks "cartoonish," for example, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. If something is lopsided or poorly made or not anatomically correct, then I don't go there either. My husband is VERY good at picking things that I like, my mother is horrible at it ;)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Treadle sewing machines, victrola's, antique pieces of furniture,such as court cupboards,side by sides, glass front book cases, and game tables. Oval bubble glass picture frames,Vietnam era military firearms and ammo, telephones, plus other items, but my passion is old tools,especially old plumber tools from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Where do I start,LOL. I collect vintage and antique Christmas, Halloween, Easter, 4th july any holiday stuff. I also collect antique wedding pics and other wedding stuff my bedroom is full. Coins, books, silver spoons, old crocks, china, salt dips, penny licks, old farm stuff like chicken waterers and egg boxes and egg scales. My house is full of antique furniture some family pieces. I also collect vintage dog statues and of course turtles and tortoises. Thats just a couple of my collections, LOL.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Len said:
Treadle sewing machines

I have this one -

treadle-machine.jpg

My husband got it for me. I don't have the cabinet, keep hoping to come across one, but all I can find are crappy reproduction pieces.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Kristina said:
Len said:
Treadle sewing machines

I have this one -

treadle-machine.jpg

My husband got it for me. I don't have the cabinet, keep hoping to come across one, but all I can find are crappy reproduction pieces.

That's a pretty design, most of mine are singers,I have a Gritzner that took a lot of cabinet repair to get it back in shape,Using the serial number on singers you can find the manufacture date of every machine,there are several sites online.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Besides all my torts, and other animals. I have lots of assault rifles. A HUGE collection of African carvings from ebony wood and soap stone. I also collect fossils, dead animals to preserve the skeletal system. Exoskeletal bug shells. Also a lot of African and tribal masks. I have a wooden spoon from the mayans I bought years ago that's like 3000 years old. That's pretty cool.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
My newest hand made one off baby :) thanks mum lol

image-111648813.png

I love an unusual glass or wooden tortoise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.