5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
CtTortoiseMom said:
momo said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
momo said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
I collect leather bound books and old copies of black beauty.

years ago, i picked up a old copy of black beauty. very colorful cover, love it.

some of the old ones have some great color prints in them. some have articles on animal rights. some even have detailed directions on how to put down your horse humanely. my favorite copy is one published in 1892-1902. it amazes me that it has survived over a hundred years

me too! thats so cool. great story.i found an old medical book from 1800s. it has the strangest pictures, and showed how to use leaches to heal. gave the book to a doctor friend and he couldnt belive it.it was kinda creepy, but interesting.
I think it is incredible Leeches and maggots still have an active role in our medicine today.
i know, what about bull ants? they use them as stiches!

Terry Allan Hall said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
momo said:
Melly-n-shorty said:

years ago, i picked up a old copy of black beauty. very colorful cover, love it.

some of the old ones have some great color prints in them. some have articles on animal rights. some even have detailed directions on how to put down your horse humanely. my favorite copy is one published in 1892-1902. it amazes me that it has survived over a hundred years

Info on how to humanely put your horse down? Amazing!

no, that it survrved over 100 years.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Terry Allan Hall said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
momo said:
Melly-n-shorty said:

yep it was published by the humane society. it has drawings and tells you what angle to have the gun at and everything... super creepy but back then i am guessing it was more of a issue.

momo said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
momo said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
momo said:

me too! thats so cool. great story.i found an old medical book from 1800s. it has the strangest pictures, and showed how to use leaches to heal. gave the book to a doctor friend and he couldnt belive it.it was kinda creepy, but interesting.
I think it is incredible Leeches and maggots still have an active role in our medicine today.
i know, what about bull ants? they use them as stiches!

I saw that on the discovery channel or PBS nature! don't they pinch off the body after it grabs hold? i wonder if it itches!!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Melly-n-shorty said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

yep it was published by the humane society. it has drawings and tells you what angle to have the gun at and everything... super creepy but back then i am guessing it was more of a issue.

[/quote]

Nowdays. modern parents would want to sue the publisher for their children's therapy bills...modern life is so "divorced" from Reality.

Took my nephews deer hunting last year and helped the oldest (15) take his first buck and my S-I-L about had a stroke!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Terry Allan Hall said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Nowdays. modern parents would want to sue the publisher for their children's therapy bills...modern life is so "divorced" from Reality.

Took my nephews deer hunting last year and helped the oldest (15) take his first buck and my S-I-L about had a stroke!
[/quote]

ha ha ha i bet! did she say "you killed Bambi"? lol

Belive it or not black beauty wasn't originally a children's book. it was later paraphrased into a children's book. this copy would for sure not be child friendly. Back in the day i suppose it would have been a boys job to know these things early on though. wow how times have changed.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
i have a copy of the grimms fairy tails, brother ,they had to clean up those stories too. they can be pretty grimm. but i like them. ps. they take the bull ant and twist the body off after it bites. it hurts like the dickens , i heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.