COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Yes, a Zoller 1/2hp.....way overkill! It sounds like a jet, then BAM against the check. We are going up to get a list at Lowes tomorrow, Kerry came over this evening. 1 of the things on the list....1-1/2" silent vertical check valve.

and dang your little guy is PERFECT! Really gorgeous!
That's great to know there is a silent check valve. When we go to Michigan. My son has a walkout basement. The plumbing upstairs drains into a lift station in the basement. Everytime the lift pump turns off. There is a big thud from the check valve. It will wake me up everytime. He gets up at 5am to get ready for work.
Opo says thank you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Gorgeous! How much does Opo weigh so that I can get an even better idea of his size?

I put Jacky outside for the first time this year just over an hour ago and she is getting much needed exercise and fresh air. When Daisy was put to sleep on the 17th November 2022 Jacky was going into hibernation but she woke up on that day and got to say goodbye. I will never forget this because when I got back I was able to give her a cuddle. It was almost like she new something was going to happen and she was there when family weren't. When she came out of hibernation I noticed little differences because when there were two of them it used to be Daisy hibernating after Jacky and waking up earlier and also settling down later in the evening. However Jacky was rather unsettled and kept coming out of the pet carrier but she seems more settled this year.

NatrahView attachment 369204
That is a great memory.
Opo got weighed 2 weeks ago. He weighed just over 90lbs. The way he was growing in the past yrs. I really thought he would be over 100lbs. He had that huge gallbladder stone and was a little off for awhile. I also cut back his store bought foods. He finally spends hrs outside grazing on weeds and grass. I also planted a few small plots of pasture seed. It's kind of funny. Opo will pick at the pasture grass. If I cut a heaping plate of that grass. He will eat it like it's his favorite food. 😁

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Just wanted to share, this is a beautiful bathtub, I would love to have it. Must have cost a fortune, my sister inlaw sent me this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_085144.jpg
    IMG_20240413_085144.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This morning was a lesson of today's world. We went to Home depot with a list of 8 items....they didn't have the painted 1" screws...of any type so off to Lowes...they didn't either. Kerry was unable to find the Cabinet pulls and the cost of some of the items caused us to come back home and have breakfast....then we went for a chilly walk along the Bay. When we got home she put the new backing on the china closet she's refinishing. I went online and in ten minutes had everything on the list but her pulls, all for better pricing than either store had....and they will bring it all to me for free.

I haven't been using mine for the past year but I know Ray finally got around to playing with his and he's liking it!

View attachment 369245
What a beautiful cabinet!🤎
Tell Kerry she did a wonderful job.

MaNaAk

Southend
Good evening everyone!

I spoke to my aunt (dad's half-sister in Malaysia) today via messenger video. I haven't seen her for fifty-one years but despite Alzheimer's she still remembered me. Both of us were practically in tears as we tried to convert fifty-one years into half an hour

Natrah

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good evening everyone!

I spoke to my aunt (dad's half-sister in Malaysia) today via messenger video. I haven't seen her for fifty-one years but despite Alzheimer's she still remembered me. Both of us were practically in tears as we tried to convert fifty-one years into half an hour

Natrah
That is wonderful you got to speak with your aunt.
Will you speak with her now on a regular basis?
Video share is a wonderful thing.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Dear Ray,

Please could we see a photo of Opo. Mum had Jacky and another little tortoise she was eight years and Jacky was already quite big so I put Jacky at dad's age. Jacky's original partner didn't make through their first winter because they were attacked by a mouse during hibernation. Mum and Nana decided to get Jacky a partner (they thought Jacky was a boy but several years later a vet said that she was Jacqueline) and so they bought little Daisy from the same place. Daisy was quite small so I put her at mum's age. Jacky and Daisy had seventy-two years together before Daisy was put to sleep. Mum passed away in 2008 and dad and I looked after Jacky and Daisy until he developed Alzheimer's and I cared for them all.

Natrah

PS: Every time I see Yellowstone National Park on TV all looks so idyllic and peaceful.
Here is a current short video. It might give you a little more perspective on Opo's size.
View attachment 20231118_130315_001.mp4

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I agree, it has been about 53yrs since I was there.
I asked if Ripley Believe It Or Not was still there. Rose said it was still there.
I had forgotten about that place!! LOL....we both left from MI to visit Niagara, at about the same time.............and now we meet 50 some years later......6 degrees I tell you, 6 degrees!

Those are great pics, thanks for posting them. Kerry wants to go back too...maybe one day.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Kerry will head to work in an hour, I will head over to my house for another week of work....but TAXES have to be done, first thing! Yikes.

We had 2 painters there Sat so the house has one coat on the home, no trim yet. They could finish by Wed! The dumpster will be picked up this morning and it's full...really full but below the top, barely. I won't be surprised if the weight overages drive my total cost to 1200.....still worth it. That means for the grand I gave my grandson and 1000-1200 fpr the dumpster, it only cost 2200 to get my shop cleaned out......that is a VALUE!!
LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I had forgotten about that place!! LOL....we both left from MI to visit Niagara, at about the same time.............and now we meet 50 some years later......6 degrees I tell you, 6 degrees!

Those are great pics, thanks for posting them. Kerry wants to go back too...maybe one day.
Where did you live in Michigan?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ann Arbor, along the Huron River, Bird rd was off Newport rd. The kid that rented our home when we moved to MD in '63 died on that river chasing his dog over thin ice...he was named Jeff and he was my age....1st person I ever knew that died.

Taxes are done and they don't make weed strong enough to get that taste out of my mouth. I take great solace that my income is slashed...I won't owe them crap next year!
LOL
"Taxes" are one of those things I procrastinate on till the last day possible. I used to be a professional estimator and I did pretty well estimating my taxes.....overall I paid 34 bucks! Bam!

I have 2 painters here again today and they figure they will be done Wed or Thurs. I have 27 bag(2 yards) of mulch in my truck to go on the gardens when the painting is done. I took the back yard robot to our other home so it will be push mower time later this week, then a "gray bag" of "kill all grow all" stuff to pretty the yard for sale.

Last night we discussed moving trucks....size & quantity.....LOL, it's beginning, just beginning to dawn on me that I still have a lot of stuff that I still think I'm keeping. ....but the reality may change. I have bikes to get listed.....this week!

Yikes.....it's all cool......I got a "profit sharing" check Saturday from the old job. When he told me it would be coming soon after I left, I had assumed it was BS....but nope, it arrived....nice. I didn't even open the envelope till I was doing my taxes this morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ann Arbor, along the Huron River, Bird rd was off Newport rd. The kid that rented our home when we moved to MD in '63 died on that river chasing his dog over thin ice...he was named Jeff and he was my age....1st person I ever knew that died.

Taxes are done and they don't make weed strong enough to get that taste out of my mouth. I take great solace that my income is slashed...I won't owe them crap next year!
LOL
"Taxes" are one of those things I procrastinate on till the last day possible. I used to be a professional estimator and I did pretty well estimating my taxes.....overall I paid 34 bucks! Bam!

I have 2 painters here again today and they figure they will be done Wed or Thurs. I have 27 bag(2 yards) of mulch in my truck to go on the gardens when the painting is done. I took the back yard robot to our other home so it will be push mower time later this week, then a "gray bag" of "kill all grow all" stuff to pretty the yard for sale.

Last night we discussed moving trucks....size & quantity.....LOL, it's beginning, just beginning to dawn on me that I still have a lot of stuff that I still think I'm keeping. ....but the reality may change. I have bikes to get listed.....this week!

Yikes.....it's all cool......I got a "profit sharing" check Saturday from the old job. When he told me it would be coming soon after I left, I had assumed it was BS....but nope, it arrived....nice. I didn't even open the envelope till I was doing my taxes this morning.
I try to do my taxes as soon as I have received all the tax forms. But mine are damned easy. For the past many years it's exactly, to the penny, the same every year. I could just Xerox last year's, clean it up date-wise and send it in for this years. That's the good part. The bad part is prices go up for food, gas, etc., but my income stays exactly the same year after yer.