COLD DARK ROOM

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Our city got around 98% covered. I sat with my critters as usual. They slept but this time I was able to leave the curtains open. The sun was over the house when we got almost total totality. A lot of places actually cleared up right on time and the people got to see it anyway.😊
How is Mr Fre?

Natrah

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Our city got around 98% covered. I sat with my critters as usual. They slept but this time I was able to leave the curtains open. The sun was over the house when we got almost total totality. A lot of places actually cleared up right on time and the people got to see it anyway.😊
When they broadcast it from Cleveland I think they said they won't have another total eclipse for 400+ years - so I'm glad the clouds played ball and let people see it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
I was just going to take Alfie out and yet again the heavens opened and it's pouring down, so we'll have to wait. Yesterday there was a lovely sunny spell so we set off for a nice river walk but after a while the wind suddenly went mad - almost blew me over- and we were lashed by horizontal rain with absolutely nowhere to shelter, both of us were soaked through so we had to come home. We're not having much luck with the weather :(. Seems like April showers and March winds joined forces and started back in September.

My sister said they were at Kerrville in a park for the eclipse and had a great view of it, my bother - in - law and nephew were interviewed by CNN so maybe some of you saw it, although my b-i-l has quite a broad northern accent so maybe you wouldn't understand a word he said! The first time I met him he could have been speaking Double Dutch for all we knew.:D but we are used to it now and can tune in. I've been trying to see if I could find a replay of the coverage but no luck yet.
I hope your spring weather is better than ours and that you all have a good day.
TTFN

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
although my b-i-l has quite a broad northern accent so maybe you wouldn't understand a word he said! The first time I met him he could have been speaking Double Dutch for all we knew.:D but we are used to it now and can tune in

I worked for Atkins here a UK based firm. I ran a mechanical division for their cost estimators and 20 year old Joe Strachan from Scotland had by far the deepest brogue of all the guys there. It took me a while since he was an Architectural guy and I was a Mechanical guy, we only interacted occasionally at work.

My daughter and her boyfriend are my hero's. They were to come by yesterday to get their remaining things and I had asked for help placing the bedroom, living and dining room rugs & padding in the dumpster. They got here as I was falling asleep so they did it for me! Sweet!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Good morning all,
I was just going to take Alfie out and yet again the heavens opened and it's pouring down, so we'll have to wait. Yesterday there was a lovely sunny spell so we set off for a nice river walk but after a while the wind suddenly went mad - almost blew me over- and we were lashed by horizontal rain with absolutely nowhere to shelter, both of us were soaked through so we had to come home. We're not having much luck with the weather :(. Seems like April showers and March winds joined forces and started back in September.

My sister said they were at Kerrville in a park for the eclipse and had a great view of it, my bother - in - law and nephew were interviewed by CNN so maybe some of you saw it, although my b-i-l has quite a broad northern accent so maybe you wouldn't understand a word he said! The first time I met him he could have been speaking Double Dutch for all we knew.:D but we are used to it now and can tune in. I've been trying to see if I could find a replay of the coverage but no luck yet.
I hope your spring weather is better than ours and that you all have a good day.
TTFN

Did they go by Stonehenge II while in Kerrville?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
How is Mr Fre?

Natrah
He's a little menace to society so I try to wear him out most days . He has too much energy 🙃 but he actually is a good boy otherwise. He loves to play ball. He's toy and people love oriented not treats. He's pretty good about his potty training. I don't like that he's a puppy that likes to bite. So training training training. Cleaning cleaning cleaning 😁

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Strawberries and torts.....

Hey M & everyone else too.....I stumbled onto 2 little kids on you tube.....Margurita Barvina & Karoline Protsenko.
Start the video and close your eyes...

Listen at least till the second refrain.....
That little girl has a voice, a very good voice. Her alto needs work but her soprano is smoking!....imagine that with training? Wow

I rewatched it and noticed the you tube awards on her wall....guess others have heard them too!

Cleaned skylights of the 20 yr old plastic covering...I suppose was done for ?? The stuff disintegrated on contact and fluttered down the 14 ft to the kitchen floor....what a mess. I got half of them done today.....there are two. LOL

My painter would starve if he were paid by the hour..........he hasn't worked a 7 hr day yet.....BUT 3 sides on my home have 1 new coat of paint on it so it looks better than it has for the better part of 20 years......I'm good. Kerry was getting twisted but I calmed her....I've been doing contracting a long time......I got this.

I knew that April is a crapshoot around here for exterior work. We get a lot of rain so I had expected this to take a minimum of 3 weeks even though the Estimate is for 10 mandays. Therein lies the key I told Kerry....they gave me a labor cost for a given quantity of time. The estimate is a good one based on him being there a total of 17 hours so far....got the entire home pressure-washed/cleaned and 3 sides one coat of two. No trim done yet.

Excuses;
Day 1-3hrs-- need to go to another job
Day 2 - 6hrs- need to pick up daughter from school
Day 3- 6hrs- need to go to another job
Day 4(today)2hrs-- wife is in the hospital

Well, the work looks good...but at this rate....well, anyone got a Snickers bar??

This might take a while! LOL

MaNaAk

Southend
He's a little menace to society so I try to wear him out most days . He has too much energy 🙃 but he actually is a good boy otherwise. He loves to play ball. He's toy and people love oriented not treats. He's pretty good about his potty training. I don't like that he's a puppy that likes to bite. So training training training. Cleaning cleaning cleaning 😁
Dear Cathie,

With Jacky it's eat, clean, eat, clean, eat, clean but you must be doing it four times over! You're a busy lady!

Natrah

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Did they go by Stonehenge II while in Kerrville?
No I don't think they did - went up a big tower in San Antonio and watched a lightening storm from there which sister said was fantastic. They are back in the UK now driving from the airport.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
Big news today - IT'S DRY!!! (for now anyway):)

My sister rang and they are back in the UK driving from Manchester airport, which surprised me because I didn't think they'd be home until Saturday - maybe they've been run out of Texas! :D 🤠 👮‍♀️

So Alfie will be going home later today. I'll miss him and our little walks even though we've had to dodge showers. As soon as Lola's new cactus pad has arrived we'll be heading out for a last walk and hopefully it will be longer than others we've managed this week.

The rest of their family are heading back to Ca, and my niece is off to Miami for the weekend before flying home. They've all had a great time together.

I sometimes wish I was more adventurous and travelled as much as I did when I was in my 20s and 30s but I can't stand the hassle of airports these days and finding someone to look after Lola is also a problem. Mind you there's so much of the UK I've yet to see and it's easy to jump in the car.

I hope you all have a good Thursday and I'll see you later.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Mind you there's so much of the UK I've yet to see and it's easy to jump in the car.
Isn't it just "the human condition" that we explore our own areas last quite often? I think many of us do it be nature,,,,we want to branch out. I live within an hour of Washington DC and all it's museums, the Mint, Kennedy center, Fords theater, the Monuments. A walk past the front of the White House is a pretty cool thing but he last ten times I was there for fun was because I either took a date or visitors who wanted to see the stuff. I had thought it was b/c I had worked in most of them and the "coolness" had worn off, but we're all like that to some extent it seems.

Be happy that you traveled not sad that you choose not to now, it gives folks a different perspective on life then they had previously. You show that perspective and I think it's pretty neat.

No painter today, it's suppose to rain later. I did jump up on the roof to remove the screen from the other skylight that needed to be "de-plastic'ed". What a mess but it's done now and I didn't take an unscheduled flight off the roof so there's that.
I'm building motivation to go down to re-do the dry-sump piping that captures the washing machine and now the new laundry sink. The guy had some overkill configuration that doesn't allow my sink to drain....I'll fix it. I'm sinking a 50gallon drum in the ground outside to replace the 5 gallon tank he had. The overflow goes to a pump and into my septic tank so I want to drain as much grey water as I can before that happens. It's not a problem with the washer but I connected my big tub to it.....this way at least half can be drained without taxing the system. 20240411_111637.jpg

Enjoy the day guys!

MaNaAk

Southend
Good morning all,
Big news today - IT'S DRY!!! (for now anyway):)

My sister rang and they are back in the UK driving from Manchester airport, which surprised me because I didn't think they'd be home until Saturday - maybe they've been run out of Texas! :D 🤠 👮‍♀️

So Alfie will be going home later today. I'll miss him and our little walks even though we've had to dodge showers. As soon as Lola's new cactus pad has arrived we'll be heading out for a last walk and hopefully it will be longer than others we've managed this week.

The rest of their family are heading back to Ca, and my niece is off to Miami for the weekend before flying home. They've all had a great time together.

I sometimes wish I was more adventurous and travelled as much as I did when I was in my 20s and 30s but I can't stand the hassle of airports these days and finding someone to look after Lola is also a problem. Mind you there's so much of the UK I've yet to see and it's easy to jump in the car.

I hope you all have a good Thursday and I'll see you later.
Dear Lyn,

I hope they had a good time. My dad was Malaysia and we lived in Malaysia in the seventies. Dad was from Kedah, West Malaysia but we lived in Sabah, East Malaysia (North Borneo) and the wildlife was amazing. In my time I have all over Europe (Spain, France, Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, Hungary) and in Asia I have been to Turkey, India, Nepal, Thailand and Singapore.

Natrah

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Hey M & everyone else too.....I stumbled onto 2 little kids on you tube.....Margurita Barvina & Karoline Protsenko.

That little girl has a voice, a very good voice. Her alto needs work but her soprano is smoking!....imagine that with training? Wow

I rewatched it and noticed the you tube awards on her wall....guess others have heard them too!

Cleaned skylights of the 20 yr old plastic covering...I suppose was done for ?? The stuff disintegrated on contact and fluttered down the 14 ft to the kitchen floor....what a mess. I got half of them done today.....there are two. LOL

My painter would starve if he were paid by the hour..........he hasn't worked a 7 hr day yet.....BUT 3 sides on my home have 1 new coat of paint on it so it looks better than it has for the better part of 20 years......I'm good. Kerry was getting twisted but I calmed her....I've been doing contracting a long time......I got this.

I knew that April is a crapshoot around here for exterior work. We get a lot of rain so I had expected this to take a minimum of 3 weeks even though the Estimate is for 10 mandays. Therein lies the key I told Kerry....they gave me a labor cost for a given quantity of time. The estimate is a good one based on him being there a total of 17 hours so far....got the entire home pressure-washed/cleaned and 3 sides one coat of two. No trim done yet.

Excuses;

Well, the work looks good...but at this rate....well, anyone got a Snickers bar??

Adorable. And both of them are singing their hearts out. Love it. I think thats a Sia song I really like. I've also seen a little French girl playing it on the violin before on u tube. She was playing for change on the streets in France. 😊

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isn't it just "the human condition" that we explore our own areas last quite often? I think many of us do it be nature,,,,we want to branch out. I live within an hour of Washington DC and all it's museums, the Mint, Kennedy center, Fords theater, the Monuments. A walk past the front of the White House is a pretty cool thing but he last ten times I was there for fun was because I either took a date or visitors who wanted to see the stuff. I had thought it was b/c I had worked in most of them and the "coolness" had worn off, but we're all like that to some extent it seems.

Be happy that you traveled not sad that you choose not to now, it gives folks a different perspective on life then they had previously. You show that perspective and I think it's pretty neat.

No painter today, it's suppose to rain later. I did jump up on the roof to remove the screen from the other skylight that needed to be "de-plastic'ed". What a mess but it's done now and I didn't take an unscheduled flight off the roof so there's that.
I'm building motivation to go down to re-do the dry-sump piping that captures the washing machine and now the new laundry sink. The guy had some overkill configuration that doesn't allow my sink to drain....I'll fix it. I'm sinking a 50gallon drum in the ground outside to replace the 5 gallon tank he had. The overflow goes to a pump and into my septic tank so I want to drain as much grey water as I can before that happens. It's not a problem with the washer but I connected my big tub to it.....this way at least half can be drained without taxing the system. View attachment 369169

Enjoy the day guys!
My son-in-law fixed my washer so the grey water is piped out onto the ground behind the barn. Can't afford for it to go into the septic tank. But thank goodness my piping doesn't look like that. . . it's just one and done!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dear Cathie,

With Jacky it's eat, clean, eat, clean, eat, clean but you must be doing it four times over! You're a busy lady!

Natrah
And the more he eats the bigger he grows. He's a whoping 3lb 11 ounces today 😊 that means he can get into more stuff 🙃😜 easier eeekkk

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Excuses;

Sometimes as it lingers on,there is a point that they realize they are losing money. Then after few times of not answering your phone calls. It's time to get someone else.
I am sure you have experienced that. Hopefully this is not one of those times.
Life was so much easier when I did the work myself.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My son-in-law fixed my washer so the grey water is piped out onto the ground behind the barn. Can't afford for it to go into the septic tank. But thank goodness my piping doesn't look like that. . . it's just one and done!
If you ever find the need. You can take a plastic 55 gal. barrel. Cut the bottom out of it. Dig a hole deep enough to set the barrel so it is below ground. But before the barrel, you want to dig a additional 2' down and fill with pea gravel. Put the barrel in open end down. Plumb in your washer with 2" pvc and bury.