COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
These are Cicadas. The larvae stay dormant under ground for years, often 17 years, more or less. This Summer will be the next major bloom....17 year old grubs rise up, crawl up trees, shed their exoskeletons fly about & mate. They HUM day and night to attract one another to mate. They mate, crawl back down & deposit eggs....and come back in 17 years.....
We had a big population of them a few years ago. The first time I encountered them was visiting my parents. Who lived up in the smokey mountains in N.C. It was deafening but actually were calming to fall asleep for me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning everyone, cold and cloudy here today. Opo's still all the way in the back of his nightbox. Don't think I will see him today.
Got my first video pop up this morning. It happened when I tried to enlarge a photo on another post. ?
I thought people who made donations were immune from ads.
I can't really see the point of advertising here on the forum - that's like preaching to the already converted.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not really predators - maybe the odd fox or badger if they can get past the prickly spines but the actions of people are a far bigger threat.:(

Hedge Hog “Predators” - man, vehicles, lawn mowers, weed whackers, farm equipment, bon fires, general garden clean up, slug bait that poisons the hedgies. Poor little guys, tough life!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning. JoesDad and I did go out for our long walk today and it was lovely.

We walked up the river Medway to Penshurst and back by a slightly different route. Penshurst Place is a historic house and has a cafe that’s serving outdoors. They make the most amazing sausage rolls which are a very good addition to a packed lunch.

Translations:

Sausage Roll = Sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry and baked in the oven
EFA325BF-C818-42FC-9F94-898CE8654A6C.jpeg

Packed lunch, or Pack-Up as it’s known in Kent, is lunch that you take out with you from home. In our case a couple of rounds of sandwiches, a couple of apples and some Welsh Cakes.

Some scenery
E7534AB8-113A-44FC-AFF7-2892DDB1C4BE.jpeg
B4704A2C-3624-4DF8-9A08-3203CBE303C1.jpeg

Wood Anemones are pretty little flowers that grow in woodland and they have come into flower this week
B43BFD69-487A-4CFF-A6E5-7FD48B3956A9.jpeg

Toads... while I was taking this photo a man looked and said “Wow! An adult with a baby on its back!” Erm.. not exactly! Mr Toad ... ahem... like big girls ;)
A1FC8F85-0916-4C59-A0B7-5D334943C422.jpeg

And finally pictures of one of our prettiest woodland birds. We watched the Nuthatches nestbuilding in an old woodpecker hole whilst eating our lunch
A45C3D8F-381B-4A59-96CD-89DBD5A41673.jpeg814ECC9A-9075-4AC6-9ADC-9F8C51DDF507.jpeg44E5B9F1-A17D-4283-91E4-46C46B0ABE5D.jpegFF775951-0FDC-4521-8FC9-38E35110314C.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Linda your wisdom will be much needed here

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evenooning. JoesDad and I did go out for our long walk today and it was lovely.

We walked up the river Medway to Penshurst and back by a slightly different route. Penshurst Place is a historic house and has a cafe that’s serving outdoors. They make the most amazing sausage rolls which are a very good addition to a packed lunch.

Translations:

View attachment 321469

Packed lunch, or Pack-Up as it’s known in Kent, is lunch that you take out with you from home. In our case a couple of rounds of sandwiches, a couple of apples and some Welsh Cakes.

Some scenery
View attachment 321471
View attachment 321472

Wood Anemones are pretty little flowers that grow in woodland and they have come into flower this week
View attachment 321473

Toads... while I was taking this photo a man looked and said “Wow! An adult with a baby on its back!” Erm.. not exactly! Mr Toad ... ahem... like big girls ;)
View attachment 321474

And finally pictures of one of our prettiest woodland birds. We watched the Nuthatches nestbuilding in an old woodpecker hole whilst eating our lunch
View attachment 321479View attachment 321480View attachment 321481View attachment 321482
What a lovely day!
The toads made me laugh:D

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu

Translations:

View attachment 321469

Some scenery
View attachment 321471
View attachment 321472

View attachment 321473

View attachment 321474

View attachment 321479View attachment 321480View attachment 321481View attachment 321482
Thank you for the pictures and translations!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
You’re in the Platinum Tortoise Club. You paid money to be ad free
Thank you. Here I was complaining about not getting something that everyone else finds annoying. And from another post I found out what humpy means in the UK. I’ve said it before, this place is so educational!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is cool! Is that a pet or are they wild there?
The pet species kept in the USA are mostly from Africa. I am not sure they are any more suited to being a pet than our European hogs, there’s a very high mortality, but they’re smaller and cuter so people keep them.

We know how that ends with small cute torts :(

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our hedgehogs are wild and endangered.
I don't know of anyone who keeps them as pets but many of us do try to help them with feeding stations and houses for them in our gardens and hedgehog highways (holes in fences) to help them wander from garden to garden.
That's the thing it takes for our wonderful wild life. They know us as neighbors and friends. A little bird posed for me today.IMG_20210321_155227457.jpg