COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I've had a message that the opuntia pads I've ordered will be here in the morning.
I can't wait to see what Lola thinks of them as I've not bought them before.
Anyone know if I have to soak them to rehydrate them before feeding?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Nope. It’s a nasty leak, we actually took some video of the leak spewing out n about. Just a pain.....
New radiator is still cheaper which is what I would do since I HATE changes. And not a lot of money unless you don't think the vehicle is worth keeping. I grew up with mechanics.? They used me if they needed a little hand to put a tool somewhere.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
And the life of the panels is only about 25 years. They don't tell you that when they're selling.
Right, the warranty was for 20 years with at least 85% output. Plus damage from a hurricane wasn't covered. There was also a charge for having to remove the panels. If you needed to replace your roof. Plus they represented the 7500.00 rebate check. As a check you would receive in the mail. When actually it was a tax rebate filed on your tax returns. If you qualified. I would imagine it would be beneficial to some. Just not for me at this time.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hope it's all gone well.
Have you ever grown opuntia from the pads Mark?
I've ordered some online and wondering if I can grow them myself for future use.
For anyone who would like some pads to grow. Just let me know, they have never seen fertilizer or pesticides.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've had a message that the opuntia pads I've ordered will be here in the morning.
I bought some for planting a couple of years ago. They weren't dried out even though you are supposed to let the cut dry before you plant them. They were ready for planting when I received them. I still want to try them myself. I checked out some recipes from hispanic people but haven't tried them yet. Just be careful when handling them because even the spineless prickly pear can give you little splinters.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I don’t think so Lyn... Lola should be good to enjoy!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I bought some for planting a couple of years ago. They weren't dried out even though you are supposed to let the cut dry before you plant them. They were ready for planting when I received them. I still want to try them myself. I checked out some recipes from hispanic people but haven't tried them yet. Just be careful when handling them because even the spineless prickly pear can give you little splinters.
I didn’t know that you were supposed to dry them out. I have always just put the growth side of the pad down and buried the pad about halfway up. It usually roots and then Sprouts new pads.. does drying them out do better? How do you start them when they are dried??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Th
I didn’t know that you were supposed to dry them out. I have always just put the growth side of the pad down and buried the pad about halfway up. It usually roots and then Sprouts new pads.. does drying them out do better? How do you start them when they are dried??
That was just the instructions I read. Not my experience. What I read was to let the cut heal over then plant but since yours rooted the plant must not be able to read.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not sure how freshly cut they'll be - probably not recently. If they look a bit shrivelled soaking won't hurt them I suppose. I'm going to try to grow a couple of them in pots.

Should I scrape the splinters before feeding? Lola doesn't really eat anything harder than some stems so I wouldn't want him to get any stuck in his mouth or throat.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The cut was dry but the pads weren't on the pads I bought. That's why I think the pads Lyn bought won't be too dry. I tried Sapphire on them but he likes okra better. I remove the seeds but I don't know that you have to.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not sure how freshly cut they'll be - probably not recently. If they look a bit shrivelled soaking won't hurt them I suppose. I'm going to try to grow a couple of them in pots.

Should I scrape the splinters before feeding? Lola doesn't really eat anything harder than some stems so I wouldn't want him to get any stuck in his mouth or throat.
Every one here on TFO says you don't have to scrape them and I doubt they'll be shriveled. I don't feel comfortable about giving my animals something with splinters but that might just be me being overly protective.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
No side effects from the Pfizer jabs..... On other issues, having a radiator leaking issue with our truck. Took it to the dealer last week, they couldnt find the leak but put dye in the coolant. Sure enough when i came home on Saturday after a wee bit of travel, leaking coolant. So, off early this AM to the “dealer”. We are now thinking....new truck or other kayak friendly vehicle or fix & let sleeping dogs lie.

Almost done the Cedar bowl....pretty much hallowed out.
View attachment 322089
Have you checked the oil dipstick to see if it glows yet?