COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was outside this morning and I noticed that the only green you see around here is the mistletoe... Did yours get to do anything??

No, no luck with growing it. The one guy in the UK that showed his recently has very little blobs now growing. Glad u have power..

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 2): In perfect weather, we took a flight up the Franz Josef Glacier around Mount Tasman and Mount Cook and landed on Fox Glacier before flying down it to return to our base. (Confusingly the township is also called Franz Joseph Glacier)

The ice fields and glaciers were spectacular, but covered in ash from the Australian bush fires. The weather closed in a bit in the afternoon while we were out walking, but cleared again in the evening.
View attachment 318756View attachment 318757View attachment 318758View attachment 318759View attachment 318760View attachment 318761
That's crazy how far the ash can travel.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
oh... WOW!!!!!
How was that helicopter ? ride???
I have always wanted to go on one but have been afraid that once it’s high in the air .... I’ll want off...??
Looks like I am missing out?
What a wonderful trip.
That is on my bucket list to fly in a helicopter. I flew in one but that was when they removed me from the accident. I don't remember that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have seen a frog in our pond too this week. I don’t think we’ll get any froogspawn this year as the pond is so new.
I've never had frog spawn but last autumn there were at least 4 in there.
I don't really want any as my 'pond' isn't big enough to support a lot of tadpoles so I'd probably have to try to relocate any spawn to give them a chance.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 1): We were up at first light for a dawn birding trip in perfect weather on a boat in the tidal Okarito Lagoon. The views alone were to die for. Mountains meeting rainforest meeting the sea. Absolutely stunning.
View attachment 318747View attachment 318748View attachment 318749View attachment 318750View attachment 318751View attachment 318752View attachment 318753View attachment 318754View attachment 318755
I love that picture of the mountains and forest reflected in the water.
That would look great enlarged and framed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We went on a
hike this morning and spring arrived while we were out.
It was very muddy, but the sun came out and there was loads of birdsong. The buzzards (big birds of prey but not like the vultures called buzzards in the US) were in pairs and mewing loudly as they circled. It was lovely.

Penshurst Place a local stately home usually open to the public.
View attachment 318785

A very old tree with mistletoe View attachment 318786

Penshurst Place View attachment 318787

Penshurst villageView attachment 318788
View attachment 318789View attachment 318790View attachment 318791
A Dole Table: Dole, food clothing or money, was given to the poor on certain feat days. In the UK, Dole came to mean unemployment benefit paid by the government.View attachment 318792
The Sidney Oak was planted in 1554 and died in 2016. A young tree grown from one of its acorns grows nearby
View attachment 318793

One of the wide straight rides on the Penshurst Estate that we walked. This used to be where the gentry would have ridden or taken carriage rides in their land. Now they’re public footpaths
View attachment 318794

Snowdrops View attachment 318795
No sun here yet.:(
Just damp and wet but not as heavy as I was expecting.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've never kept an indoor rabbit (or an outdoor one, for that matter), but I've read that you can train them to a litter box???
They are as quickly trained as a cat. Give them a nest of timothy and they're trained. The boys have to be nuetered but my female isn't. The drawback is they will eat and chew anything. It's a way of life. I just really enjoy their personalities and cleanliness ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We went on a
hike this morning and spring arrived while we were out.
It was very muddy, but the sun came out and there was loads of birdsong. The buzzards (big birds of prey but not like the vultures called buzzards in the US) were in pairs and mewing loudly as they circled. It was lovely.

Penshurst Place a local stately home usually open to the public.
View attachment 318785

A very old tree with mistletoe View attachment 318786

Penshurst Place View attachment 318787

Penshurst villageView attachment 318788
View attachment 318789View attachment 318790View attachment 318791
A Dole Table: Dole, food clothing or money, was given to the poor on certain feat days. In the UK, Dole came to mean unemployment benefit paid by the government.View attachment 318792
The Sidney Oak was planted in 1554 and died in 2016. A young tree grown from one of its acorns grows nearby
View attachment 318793

One of the wide straight rides on the Penshurst Estate that we walked. This used to be where the gentry would have ridden or taken carriage rides in their land. Now they’re public footpaths
View attachment 318794

Snowdrops View attachment 318795
I love those beautiful old buildings still surviving.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all
It's been a pretty uneventful day here again.
Most exciting thing I've done was to make a trip to Aldi to stock up on Lola's food.
His appetite is picking up again and he's been out for a wander several times - even went to have a peep at the garden, but thought better of actually going out in the rain.
Maybe Spring is in the air after all!
It's warmer but I don't think winter has finished with us yet.
Hope you're enjoying your Saturday!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That's crazy how far the ash can travel.

It’s not very far from New Zealand to Australia so not surprised that ash blew that way.... Do you recall the volcanic ash in 2010 from Iceland that cancelled or disrupted many European flights to the USA?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've never had frog spawn but last autumn there were at least 4 in there.
I don't really want any as my 'pond' isn't big enough to support a lot of tadpoles so I'd probably have to try to relocate any spawn to give them a chance.
Frogspawn mustn’t be relocated. There’s disease risk by moving it. A huge number of tadpoles fail to make it to frogs every year; that’s normal. If you re lucky enough to get spawn just leave it and let nature take its course :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Frogspawn mustn’t be relocated. There’s disease risk by moving it. A huge number of tadpoles fail to make it to frogs every year; that’s normal. If you re lucky enough to get spawn just leave it and let nature take its course :)
I'd better have a second 'pond' ready if I see any.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all
It's been a pretty uneventful day here again.
Most exciting thing I've done was to make a trip to Aldi to stock up on Lola's food.
His appetite is picking up again and he's been out for a wander several times - even went to have a peep at the garden, but thought better of actually going out in the rain.
Maybe Spring is in the air after all!
It's warmer but I don't think winter has finished with us yet.
Hope you're enjoying your Saturday!
I've always thought that Sapphire can feel it underground like the plants do.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got to hear that once. It was really a beautiful song. I didn't know what I was listening too but knew it was different and just enjoyed it. I read about it later and how blessed I was to get to hear it.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It’s not very far from New Zealand to Australia so not surprised that ash blew that way.... Do you recall the volcanic ash in 2010 from Iceland that cancelled or disrupted many European flights to the USA?

Oh yes, they say we get sand here in Florida from Africa when the storms start forming that turn into hurricanes. I think the Himalayas also got suet from the oil fields burning in Kuwait.
But like I said before, when signing up for classes in high school. I thought geography was the next level of math after algebra. So I never signed up.?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh yes, they say we get sand here in Florida from Africa when the storms start forming that turn into hurricanes. I think the Himalayas also got suet from the oil fields burning in Kuwait.
But like I said before, when signing up for classes in high school. I thought geography was the next level of math after algebra. So I never signed up.?
We certainly get Saharan sand dumped on us in Kent fairly regularly.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 1): We drove to Queenstown... and it rained... a lot. We know you had it bad in the UK, but this area got 1 metre (39 inches) of rain in 48 hours (!) only a couple of weeks ago. Not ideal weather for a 5 hour drive through the mountains.

The rain coming down the mountains (that we mostly couldn’t see for cloud), gave us hundreds of waterfalls to see instead so we got soaked and photographed a few. When we got to the lakes on the map things changed for the better (see next post)
CBB81058-15D2-4A83-B434-55A25CDA4C10.jpeg812019E6-1B47-41EC-9717-B02FAEC4E4F1.jpeg66B345E1-1B51-46FE-9999-C08391362855.jpeg294F0CB5-349F-4768-800B-B1929FB8CE51.jpeg1EE18A6A-B3E2-46A4-8F25-EE6907791692.jpegAE45EE8A-2B60-47FD-B540-281C88A73A39.jpeg1A792941-1E57-4909-8BFC-DD090629C0AD.jpeg338DF19D-16FA-4798-B10C-3689F4BEA0B5.jpeg