COLD DARK ROOM

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
It’s nasty here ....sleet that will freeze and make a slush. We will have to endure this a couple days and then we are supposed to get Linda’s proper snow...
The disasters have already begun though..

It is getting 7 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday. It may not sound like much to a lot of you, but unfortunately we are not prepared here. Quite sad

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
People around here are not used to those conditions and don’t know how to drive in them... so on the rare occasion that it happens, it’s horrible.. I was taught how to drive (as best you can) in icy conditions but I try hard not to go out because I’m scared of others! Seeing such a horrible accident that will affect so many is heartbreaking!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Oh man! That's AWFUL!!! My son and his family live in the DFW area and his a.m. email to me referred to his job being closed today due to icy roads,but I had no idea it was that bad.
No offense, but a lot of Texans don't know how to drive in this kind of weather. Having driven in Texas in this kind of weather & watching Texans driving in Colorado in the high country, I've watched in awe of the crashes they narrowly missed. Houstonian's are even worse.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
People around here are not used to those conditions and don’t know how to drive in them... so on the rare occasion that it happens, it’s horrible.. I was taught how to drive (as best you can) in icy conditions but I try hard not to go out because I’m scared of others! Seeing such a horrible accident that will affect so many is heartbreaking!
I have the same problem. Yorkshire in the 1970s and 80s had loads of snow and ice every winter. I even had my driving test postponed because a foot of snow fell overnight and the ploughs hadn’t reached the test centre.

Kent is a completely different matter. It rarely gets snow and the county just does’t have the equipment to cope with it... and people have no idea how to drive in it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 1): We started our day exploring Picton. It’s very small , but boasts a museum dedicated to the “Edwin Fox” a 161 year old merchant ship and the oldest surviving vessel of her type. Her history was fascinating... variously transporting tea from India, convicts to Australia, soldiers to the Crimean war, immigrants to NZ and ending her days as a lamb freezer and then a coal store. Built in India, her planking is teak and withstood the ravages of time remarkably well.
71B505A5-D04E-4B7F-AE9C-470B29CDEBED.jpeg7BA5659A-67B4-4671-B8D5-E13DF072CFB5.jpegD5153FB2-F1E8-46DF-BE96-DA463F3465EB.jpeg40C79E5F-872C-4EF8-B38B-3D5A3A484399.jpegCDE3E1C6-ED99-4F2B-B157-916844FF800D.jpeg628F933B-A043-4B8B-8CBA-B362404C9943.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 2): In the afternoon we did a Motuara Island Sanctuary and Dolphin Watching tour heading up Marlborough Sound by boat.

The trip out to Motuara was highlighted by seeing a King Shag... there are only around 650 of these left in the world!! You have to excuse the focus... the boat was going up and down and it was very zoomed in!
00245062-59C8-44DB-8D7F-342B57331178.jpeg

Motuara itself gave us the Southern Island Robin and the Yellow Crowned Kakariki (Parakeet).
1F8E040F-F487-4113-8315-A22E1203B785.jpeg9F95BC83-AE88-49CB-8AC7-0BB696E0E418.jpegCAF4244C-F266-409E-BC04-0DA3DA4D58C2.jpeg7DCCEA41-30FA-4CC9-8EF1-C2969304EDEA.jpeg
And on the trip back to Picton we saw two species of dolphin. The Common Dolphin (which is actually very uncommon and our guide was very excited to see it for the first time in 10 months) with its standard curved dorsal fin and the tiny Hector’s Dolphin with its distinctive rounded dorsal fin. We had good views of both, but they’re really difficult to photograph well!
3A0F6029-C684-4131-94F3-7CA8F285F7B9.jpeg411B4DA6-2C8F-40E1-B0B2-E5BBBA2F7EE2.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020 (part 2): In the afternoon we did a Motuara Island Sanctuary and Dolphin Watching tour heading up Marlborough Sound by boat.

The trip out to Motuara was highlighted by seeing a King Shag... there are only around 650 of these left in the world!! You have to excuse the focus... the boat was going up and down and it was very zoomed in!
View attachment 317985

Motuara itself gave us the Southern Island Robin and the Yellow Crowned Kakariki (Parakeet).
View attachment 317980View attachment 317981View attachment 317979View attachment 317982
And on the trip back to Picton we saw two species of dolphin. The Common Dolphin (which is actually very uncommon and our guide was very excited to see it for the first time in 10 months) with its standard curved dorsal fin and the tiny Hector’s Dolphin with its distinctive rounded dorsal fin. We had good views of both, but they’re really difficult to photograph well!
View attachment 317983View attachment 317984
Here, when you go to the coast we see the Common dolphin.. I have not ever seen the Hector dolphin... How cool!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning! Nothing to see here this morning. I think it’s our last day before the big freeze. It’s supposed to be a little sunny today although still very cold.. my torts have not came out of their boxes ( that I’ve seen) for a few days so i imagine I will try to drag them out for a soak to get them through the next few days. I believe I’m going to let Jayden play hookie from school today.. They were doing the Valentine’s Day party and he is not concerned with it. I don’t have a heavy work load and can probably knock it all out with a solid 3 hours on my computer.. I have a glass agency coming to replace the windshield in my truck. A rock hit it on my way home Wednesday and yesterday it turned into a 2ft crack.. ?... this is my new truck that I just got this past November.. ughhhh...

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
No offense, but a lot of Texans don't know how to drive in this kind of weather. Having driven in Texas in this kind of weather & watching Texans driving in Colorado in the high country, I've watched in awe of the crashes they narrowly missed. Houstonian's are even worse.

I grew up in Colorado myself and driving in terrible conditions is no big deal to me, in the UK though it is hilarious. If it snows even a few inches, the roads become chaos. On the equivalent of multi-lane highways here, everyone only uses the left most lane and they drive slow as can be, im the one guy driving through untracked snow in the fast lane lol.

I have also literally seen more than one occasion where people were trying to drive down a hill that was snowed or iced over. They queue up and one at a time would creep over the crest until the car inevitably lost traction and began to slide. In both cases the cars would slide about 50 meters and hit a stone wall smashing the front end of the car up, then they would reverse and drive off, and the next person in the queue who just watched that happen does the exact same thing. Bodyshops get so busy after a small snowstorm it takes months to catch up. I know Colorado drivers are insane, I admit to being a bit crazy, but hey we know how to drive in bad weather lol. The funniest thing I ever heard a colorado driver say was "sure you can drive 80 on snow and ice, just dont try to turn or stop." Anyone that has been on I-25 in bad conditions knows exactly what Im talking about.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Our snow storm for today has been cancelled, we are having rain and ice, no sno...if you want some fun, drive a hot rod Camaro in the ice and snow. I have no traction but the car is so small it steers and slides easily. I am an adrenaline junkie and have fun sliding around in my IROC

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good snowy morning! It is always so beautiful when it is untouched! The dogs trampled the backyard already.

View attachment 317990View attachment 317991

You guys got the nice Southerly band.... nothing here overnight. It’s cold, gray. Frozen. Snow remains on the ground since the last storm, tomorrow all day snow sleet & frozen rain via Texas. ??‍♂️