COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Good mornooning all.

Let’s just say I am glad this week is coming to an end. The bad news has definitely outperformed the good.

The sun has made a very welcome appearance and JoesDad and I are going out for a country walk to try and park things and reset for next week.
Enjoy, sounds like a great idea!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Some of these trees were cut down by electric power line guys, keeping the power lines clear. A few others from a massive windstorm that knocked down a lot of trees in the area.
Do you let the wood dry out in log form? Or do you cut it up into workable dimensions and let it dry?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Happy Saturday all.

Sunny & bright unexpectedly really. Cold, hard rain late evening yesterday i thought for sure it would be just gray & overcast today.

We went for an early morning drive near Annapolis MD to check out a “real” lumber yard. You know, the type that we used to have. Real wood, good choice in associated products like screws, nails, chain, sledge hammers, woolen hats & gloves. Checked out their very nice selection of Red Cedar timber. Four x four inches (10cm x 10 cm) by eight feet long, pretty nice looking wood. Cost about $85.00. Lots of other dimensional wood available too. Wow....have you ever seen Ipe? Wow... Supposedly a deck made with Ipe will last more than 30 years!

➡➡ Fun Fact - Ipe was used for the boardwalk along the beach of New York City’s Coney Island, and was said to have lasted 25 years before it needed to be replaced: an amazing lifespan given the amount of traffic and environmental stresses put upon the wood.)

We picked up three boxes of decking screws so we can finish off, screw by screw, the “deck project”. Could have bought the 5 lb box, but hey, might not need that many.

On our way over we spotted three hawks. One in our garden, the others along the highway. Lunch time for hawks.
Ipe is a very hard wood. No way you can pound a nail in it. You definitely need to predrill.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Good afternoon everyone, here is a pic celebrating Rose's birthday yesterday.
Hope everyone is doing good.
View attachment 315555
Wow is that a fridge or Magnet Parking Lot. I love it a story of where you have gone and what you have done. You tell your daughter happy birthday from me!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow is that a fridge or Magnet Parking Lot. I love it a story of where you have gone and what you have done. You tell your daughter happy birthday from me!
LOL I will tell Rose you called her my daughter. When we bought the fridge, I wouldn't let Rose put magnets on it. Then I accidentally scratched it with my wheelchair and asked her to put the magnets on to cover it up. Those are locations mostly of Rose's travels to different countries.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Do you let the wood dry out in log form? Or do you cut it up into workable dimensions and let it dry?

A lot depends. You can turn green wood, sometimes it will dry out and split, other times not. Some ppl who harvest logs will cut the logs into chunks then seal the edges with a product called Anchor Seal. It keeps the wood from drying too quickly & cracking. It’s better, easier but not cheaper to purchase wood that is cut & then kiln dried. Advantage is you get sizes you like - ready to work with. But, expensive.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you Lyn, I had a stress test mon. and the numbers were the same as in 2017. So that's good and had a breathing test on Wednesday and the results there were a lot better than before. My doctor thinks changing my inhaler from Anora to trelegy might be the reason. Tues I go in and have a growth about the size of a pingpong ball removed from my amputated arm. The growth is under the skin and gets irritated when I wear my prosthetic.
My insurance company approved a cross trainer and it will be delivered in a few weeks.
I am happy to get it because I haven't been getting much exercise since my therapy stopped because of covid.
View attachment 315530
My doctors like trelegy better too but I have problems with fluticasone. That is the difference between the two.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been trying to catch up a bit but don't have the energy yet but CarolM you are going to absolutely love the songs of zebra finches. With an aviary it won't take them long to fill it. That's their favorite thing to do! Make babies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Each day gets easier. Today's been way better. I can actually feel the virus is gone. I think if God hadn't given me these critters the outcome would be way different.?
Just carry on taking it easy Cathie. I know of people who thought they were better and tried to get back to normal but it's come back and floored them again, so don't rush and overdo things.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.
It's very cold and grey here again.
Just makes me want to curl up and hibernate.
Hope you all have a good Monday, whatever your weather!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I've been trying to catch up a bit but don't have the energy yet but CarolM you are going to absolutely love the songs of zebra finches. With an aviary it won't take them long to fill it. That's their favorite thing to do! Make babies.
I am interested in the Finches. Do they breed easily in captivity? I would love to find a pair and breed them for my pet store. They are pretty scarce here, but I do see them at Petsmart when I buy worms. They always seem to have 2 finches