COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I probably will, but because I have to cook every day or almost , because I am so picky about food, and don't like fast-food, it's always so much nicer to enjoy food cooked for you . Lol,( I was a baker/ cake decorator for years, and worked in food for over 20 years , before I changed to grooming, got burnned out, cooking and baking kinda lost it's fun, I still take orders for cakes etc, but it's just not as fun anymore, )
Oh okay. I totally get it. I only really enjoy cooking when I decide I want to try and make something. But having to cook supper everyday has taken the joy out of it, I also tend to enjoy food someone else has cooked rather than my own. That is not to say that I am a bad cook, just that I like other peoples food more. So i totally understand. You most probably have a quick and easy recipe if you have been baking for 20 years.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I made pickle onions and a brown bread with chilli and seeds.
View attachment 291703
Will wait to give my opnion on how these turned out.
View attachment 291704
This isn't too bad, but could have done with a bit more salt. And it did not quite get the nice curry chilli flavour that I was going for.
Looks really good... I have never tried either.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning, I am so behind here. I started back on fri and trying to catch up. Did I miss a song from Sabine? Hope everyone is doing well with this virus thing happening.
My oldest son called me yesterday. His boyhood friend died of the virus at 46 years old.
How sad! I know that they are starting to lift a lot of the restrictions but I really hope everyone will continue to be safe!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I probably will, but because I have to cook every day or almost , because I am so picky about food, and don't like fast-food, it's always so much nicer to enjoy food cooked for you . Lol,( I was a baker/ cake decorator for years, and worked in food for over 20 years , before I changed to grooming, got burnned out, cooking and baking kinda lost it's fun, I still take orders for cakes etc, but it's just not as fun anymore, )
Watch out! The CDR will infect you. I was burned out on painting, stenciling, finishing wood etc For years until their Christmas card exchange this year.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have 2 tomato plants that get water from the drain tube from the A/C.
I never fertilized so the plants never were robust. We get like 6 average size tomatoes a week. They are over a year old. Not sure how long they will continue.
Nice. I'd be sure to at least let one tomato give you some volunteers. They are even stronger then the parent. I had that happen one year. It happened during a summer drought. I had nice tomatoes and most other peoples died.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh okay. I totally get it. I only really enjoy cooking when I decide I want to try and make something. But having to cook supper everyday has taken the joy out of it, I also tend to enjoy food someone else has cooked rather than my own. That is not to say that I am a bad cook, just that I like other peoples food more. So i totally understand. You most probably have a quick and easy recipe if you have been baking for 20 years.
What took the fun out of cooking for me was, "That again? I'm sick of that." And yet when I asked for suggestions on shopping day no one had any.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Looks really good... I have never tried either.
The pickled onion is brown vinegar, two whole chilli's, two bay leaves , a spoon of sugar, some salt and baby onions of course. Put the onions in the vinegar with the chilli and bay leaves and leave them for a week or two until they are pickled. They will turn brown.
The bread was 500g wheat flour, 10g instant yeast, mixed nuts blitzed, some curry powder, some dried chilli, some turmeric, some salt, and then about 400ml of warm buttermilk and water. Some olive oil. Mix all together. Spray your bread tin with spray and cook. Put your mixture in, then leave it for an hour to rise. Then bake at 200c degrees for 30min. Knock the bread and if it sounds hollow then it is done. The flour, yeast, 30ml olive oil, salt and water is the standard mix. And you can add anything you like. You make it a sweet bread by mixing in cinnamon and raisins, or a fruit mix. Or you can add cheese and cooked onion. Play around with the recipe until you get something you like.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
What took the fun out of cooking for me was, "That again? I'm sick of that." And yet when I asked for suggestions on shopping day no one had any.
That is exactly it. You ask them what they want for supper, they say they don't know. So you make a suggestion and then you get... No i don't feel like that. But they can't tell you what they want. Aarrggghhh

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good Morning, And I completely skipped the weekend for CDR and we are now back on Monday. And our weather is overcast and gloomy. I love it.
I got to see you anyway. ? Sometimes, on my phone, it takes a day or so before I can see a new post.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is exactly it. You ask them what they want for supper, they say they don't know. So you make a suggestion and then you get... No i don't feel like that. But they can't tell you what they want. Aarrggghhh
My lot have always got what they were given and had to put up or shut up :D

They can all cook which is good during lockdown because if we take turns then we get more variety

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My lot have always got what they were given and had to put up or shut up :D

They can all cook which is good during lockdown because if we take turns then we get more variety
You are so lucky. My hubby and youngest have both categorily stated they have no interest in cooking. My eldest does not mind and can cook the basics, but he is busy with university as they are doing online learning for now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are so lucky. My hubby and youngest have both categorily stated they have no interest in cooking. My eldest does not mind and can cook the basics, but he is busy with university as they are doing online learning for now.
I made aure both of my two could cook before they went to university. They both thank me for it now as it saved them a lot of money being able to cook decent meals when they were on a student budget.

Son tends to cook to eat. He can be good of he’s bothered. Daughter is an instinctive cook. Like me she uses recipes for guidance rather than always following them to the letter. Unlike me she also adores baking. I can and do bake, but she’s the real cake making fanatic. She bakes as a stress reliever and her brother and her colleagues are more than willing to eat it.

My husband likes to meticulously plan what he cooks. He doesn’t cook often and follows recipes to the letter. He also like to charge on the barbecue :)