COLD DARK ROOM

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Do you kind people know for sure if this is prickly pear opuntia?
Im trying to grow some for Gaïa. Im thinking south usa habitants are familiar to these kinds of plants.View attachment 273899

Yes!! Is it yours? If not, take one of the largest pads. Cut off end , let dry a few days and plant about half way.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes!! Is it yours? If not, take one of the largest pads. Cut off end , let dry a few days and plant about half way.

Oh yeah! They’re the good kind thank you!! Yes they are mine I paid twenty bucks at the garden center I could’nt resist it’s very rare here. From what I understand too much water is the number one killer for cactus so im only watering when the sand/soil mixture is completly dry or every two weeks. So far im seing some nice growth. Im hoping one day I’ll have enough to feed my girl.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You should be there by now so hope you had a good journey with not too many heavy showers en route.

I am indeed. It didn’t start raining until I was about 10 minutes from Mum’s flat. Mum doesn’t have wifi in her flat and my data allowance is running low, so I need to be careful!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A very quick late hello.
The shops have taken over my life at the moment so not much time to pop in.
Dress found - now need jacket and possibly shoes as I don't think I will manage all day in my heels with my gammy leg.
Glad to see everyone is well and getting out and about.
See you soon but Nos Da for now!

At least you have the dress. Good luck with the rest of the shop!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning and Happy Hump Day!
I am delighted that the Welsh Gov has scrapped the scheme for the M4 relief road,:):):):):):):)
Common sense has prevailed and they couldn't justify the cost for saving just a few minutes on travelling during rush hours.
There is uproar of course from supporters of the scheme and I expect that one day it will go ahead when a new First Minister takes over but for now it has bought time.
Hope everyone has a good day!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Do you kind people know for sure if this is prickly pear opuntia?
Im trying to grow some for Gaïa. Im thinking south usa habitants are familiar to these kinds of plants.View attachment 273899

You got it! You can start 2 more plants right now and you will be amazed at how fast you see new growth. Pickles and crusher don’t eat too much of it yet but Toretto really packs it in!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Oh yeah! They’re the good kind thank you!! Yes they are mine I paid twenty bucks at the garden center I could’nt resist it’s very rare here. From what I understand too much water is the number one killer for cactus so im only watering when the sand/soil mixture is completly dry or every two weeks. So far im seing some nice growth. Im hoping one day I’ll have enough to feed my girl.
Opuntia grow fine in Florida, too. They can handle periods of heavy rain, as long as the soil drains quickly, and as long as they get plenty of sun. They will gladly take more water when they're actively growing: well drained soil, plenty of sun, relatively warm (not winter) temperatures. They will basically go dormant during the winter.

Bee62

Germany
Took my grandson to the San Diego zoo yesterday. I haven’t been here in about 3yrs. We also have the San Diego Safari Park which is my go to park since I’m a bit closer.
I went to the zoo to see the torts and the two new giraffe calves.

View attachment 273861

View attachment 273862

View attachment 273863

View attachment 273864

View attachment 273865

View attachment 273866

View attachment 273867
View attachment 273868
View attachment 273869
View attachment 273870View attachment 273871
Beautiful pictures !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My grand daughter from Texas is coming to visit tomorrow so I can meet her husband. They used to live in this area so they have friends and relatives here. Besides her husband she's travelling with her older sister and her husband and their four children, a boy 16, a girl 12 and a boy/girl set of year old twins. The older sister is her mother's daughter, but not my son's daughter.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
You got it! You can start 2 more plants right now and you will be amazed at how fast you see new growth. Pickles and crusher don’t eat too much of it yet but Toretto really packs it in!

Right now I have 2 opuntias, two big parts with two small parts on them, are you saying I should cut off two of these small parts so I can have 4 cactus? This pic is the other one.IMG_1565.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Right now I have 2 opuntias, two big parts with two small parts on them, are you saying I should cut off two of these small parts so I can have 4 cactus? This pic is the other one.View attachment 273915

That is correct! Break off the big set of rabbit ears at the joint and put those guys in two separate pots buried halfway down. They will grow their own new pads within a month I bet!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right now I have 2 opuntias, two big parts with two small parts on them, are you saying I should cut off two of these small parts so I can have 4 cactus? This pic is the other one.View attachment 273915
If you'll notice how the "rabbit ears" are growing long and slender instead of pad-like as the mother part is, that's because the plant isn't getting enough light. The new growth is reaching for the light.