COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hello folks, I was busy today. :)Mowed the gras in my garden und cleaned the patio.:) Cuddled a lot with cats and sheep. Cleaned the stable of the chicken and sheep.
--- Enough for the week I think.:D Tomorrow is my work free day !
I scheduled to make a trip with my 40 year old car.:D
Hopefully I will arrive with my oldie:eek::eek::eek: Please wish me luck.:rolleyes:
Prayers and good vibrations are welcome....:rolleyes:
Here's to wishing you all of the above.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was thinking that about this...

I wasn’t surprised that the very British Baked Bean was eaten on South Africa in the same way as it is here... SA has the history of being a former British colony after all.

I am surprised about Germany! I can only blame our military bases in your country for their influence!
Was going to mention that we were colonised by the British for a long time. We even have some of your laws from when you were here.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Surviving 7 years is supposed to mean that you’re through the worst of it. You have learned how to cope with the rockier patches together .

There are no guarantees. My parents separated after over 30 years... though, knowing what I do now about my late father, I wonder how Mum put up with him so long.

We got married in 1990 which seems an impossibly long time because I cannot be that old :D
Lol. We were married 4 years after you. We always look at it as being every 7 years. Sooo year 7, 14, 21 etc.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
G’day all. Spent the better part of yesterday kayaking near Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton Park areas where we stumbled across a water festival called “Kinetic Baltimore” where various school groups and organizations enter floatable/driveable machines and navigate a short water route.

We also paddled by some very large US naval ships....

F43A6ABD-1B2A-4D24-B1CA-EEB2CEDD8EC6.jpeg 05D5A074-E15F-4028-A02C-05C61DA902D0.jpeg F5EE3FE4-3F4D-4ACB-AE6D-8BA228426C88.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
G’day all. Spent the better part of yesterday kayaking near Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton Park areas where we stumbled across a water festival called “Kinetic Baltimore” where various school groups and organizations enter floatable/driveable machines and navigate a short water route.

We also paddled by some very large US naval ships....

View attachment 237765 View attachment 237766 View attachment 237767
The school floats looks like loads of fun. Nice pictures as usual.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The school floats looks like loads of fun. Nice pictures as usual.

Yes...all types of groups sponsored floatable machines... some with lots of engineering skills, some with none, many in between. This one here was a reticulated alligator complete with dry ice for effect..

If interested, here is a link to the idea behind these kinetic “sculptures” - https://www.kineticbaltimore.com/

4D398B3E-70A4-4C8F-ADBA-10CD7FE85FE0.jpeg

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternoon everyone. JoesDad and I are in the quaint town of Rye in East Sussex (about an hour from home). We are staying the night as we are going to see 80s band “The Christians” tonight.

The B&B we are staying in is incredibly old - wonky floors, wooden beams - the lot. We have a 4 poster bed and the breakfast room has a minstrels’ gallery :D

It’s all cobbled streets and ancient buildings - guaranteed to be on @moozillion’s bucket list!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The oldest buildings originate well before the 1400s here. They are very ancient indeed.

Rye was a busy sea port on the English Channel, but sea levels changed over the centuries and the harbour silted up leaving the town still technically a port, but 3 miles from the sea!

Its fortifications were necessary to protect it from the French (who the British have had varying levels of conflict with over the centuries), but in places you can see where WWII gun emplacements were put in ancient defensive locations.

This is a two way street where we are staying!
IMG_7086.jpg

The road to the church... also two way
IMG_7089.jpg

Ancient buildings
IMG_7094.jpg

Ypres Tower. Named after a Norman (11th century) lord rather than the WWI battlefield
IMG_7095.jpg

View from the tower out to sea in the distance
IMG_7097.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes...all types of groups sponsored floatable machines... some with lots of engineering skills, some with none, many in between. This one here was a reticulated alligator complete with dry ice for effect..

If interested, here is a link to the idea behind these kinetic “sculptures” - https://www.kineticbaltimore.com/

View attachment 237768
That one looks so cool. Thank you for sharing the link.