COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good evening all.

Daughter, son and I went to see Star Wars: The last Jedi this afternoon. I quite enjoyed it although it did feel a bit “Harry Potter in space”

JoesDad had man flu. I have to concede he really does have this cold a lot worse than me. I made up the spare bed at 2.30am this morning and sympathetically chucked him out of our bedroom as he wasn’t letting me sleep. He’s in the spare room again tonight.

Have a good night everyone. I’m off to London tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a bit dryer.
Oh dear. Get better Joesdad. I am sending you lots of get better vibes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@johnandjade
My ANCESTRY.COM results came back.
I'm only 3%from Scotland.
37% southern Europe.
22% scandanavia
17% great Britain
13% western Europe
And a few other 1%ers such as Iberia.
So, I'm an Italian viking.
With German and English.
Only the lack of Scotland, Ireland and Wales was a surprise.
As was the missing native American ancestor.
Both fabrications.

Here’s mine for comparison Ed.
IMG_6213.jpg

And here’s JoesDad’s
IMG_6214.jpg

I recently had contact through an Ancestry website from a Canadian who thought we were related 5 generations back. We used GEDmatch.com to compare our DNA files and there was 0% match. I am certain of my lineage as I have original marriage certificates going back 4 of those generations; there’s either has some illegitimacy involved or he got his family tree wrong.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So, the cold dark room seems pretty nice.

Hello and welcome to the CDR Bradan. In amongst the puns and diverse conversations there is friendship around the world. Pull up an armadillo and take a seat. Watch out for the meerkats; they’re always up to mischief. :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 226122

And here’s JoesDad’s
View attachment 226123

I recently had contact through an Ancestry website from a Canadian who thought we were related 5 generations back. We used GEDmatch.com to compare our DNA files and there was 0% match. I am certain of my lineage as I have original marriage certificates going back 4 of those generations; there’s either has some illegitimacy involved or he got his family tree wrong.
This is so interesting.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Normally our trains go into London Bridge or Charing Cross station and I am able to get postcards of Tower Bridge or the Houses of Parliament to post.

Due to maintenance work, we are going to Victoria station today so I am not sure how photogenic our route will be.

First, we will be crossing London to get to the British Library in Euston to see the Harry Potter: A history of magic exhibition :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Normally our trains go into London Bridge or Charing Cross station and I am able to get postcards of Tower Bridge or the Houses of Parliament to post.

Due to maintenance work, we are going to Victoria station today so I am not sure how photogenic our route will be.

First, we will be crossing London to get to the British Library in Euston to see the Harry Potter: A history of magic exhibition :)
Oh my youngest son will be quite jealous. He loves Harry Potter. If you could post some pics of the exhibition (that is if you are allowed to take pics) I would love to show him and it would be really appreciated.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 226122

And here’s JoesDad’s
View attachment 226123

These really are interesting.
From what I’ve read, these ancestry DNA tests may be accurate but they’re very NARROW. There are 3 types of DNA. The mitochondrial DNA comes strictly from your mom. She got it from HER mom, who got it from HER mom etc very far back. But we get NO mitochondrial DNA from any women on the FATHER’S side. So our DAD’S mother and all her DNA is NOT AVAILABLE to be tested- we don’t get mitochondrial DNA through ANYof our father’s side. So and ancestry of the FEMALE relatives on our father’s side remains UNKNOWN.

Another type of DNA they can test for is on the Y chromosome. This only works for men (the mitochondrial DNA works for everyone). But that is also narrow. Guys get their Y chromosome from their father, who gets it from HIS father, who got it from HIS father, etc. So any ancestors from his mother’s side are left out.
Although these tests are interesting, and valid, they’re not complete. They can only assess a small fraction of the large number of people that any one of us is descended from. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!!!! ROOMIES!!!!!!!
When I got up this morning I found Jacques with a hitch-hiker!!!!!!!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

fullsizeoutput_807.jpeg

At first, she was :eek: WATCHING THE SHRIMP ON HER BACK!!!!!! :D:D:D But as soon as she noticed me (which you can see in this photo) she turned her head to look at me.:D:D:D:D:D:D

The Mighty Huntress Strikes Fear in the Hearts of Shrimp Everywhere...NOT!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
OMG!!!!! ROOMIES!!!!!!!
When I got up this morning I found Jacques with a hitch-hiker!!!!!!!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

View attachment 226133

At first, she was :eek: WATCHING THE SHRIMP ON HER BACK!!!!!! :D:D:D But as soon as she noticed me (which you can see in this photo) she turned her head to look at me.:D:D:D:D:D:D

The Mighty Huntress Strikes Fear in the Hearts of Shrimp Everywhere...NOT!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

:D Atta girl Jacques [emoji23]

Bee62

Germany
Sabine. You speak no English at all?
You translate your posts?
Noooooooooooooooooooo !
I learned English in school and I like the language. I have had a good English teacher. I listen and sing English songs. I only have to translate a few words that are missing, but the longer I write on TFO the less words miss ! It makes me proud and I love to write and speak English but I am no native English speaking person.
@ZEROPILOT