Coil bulbs????

Status
Not open for further replies.

expo tort

5 Year Member
I don't know what I missed but what is so bad about coil bulbs. I just can't figure it out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There was reportedly some manufacturing problem early on that caused eye damage and blindness. The companies were made aware of the issue and supposedly fixed the problem. However, many of us have seen them cause problems, and continue to see it pretty regularly when new people join the forum. So in my opinion, the problem is not fixed and there is just no reason to risk it since there are other alternatives that are safe and more effective anyway.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Tom said:
There was reportedly some manufacturing problem early on that caused eye damage and blindness. The companies were made aware of the issue and supposedly fixed the problem. However, many of us have seen them cause problems, and continue to see it pretty regularly when new people join the forum. So in my opinion, the problem is not fixed and there is just no reason to risk it since there are other alternatives that are safe and more effective anyway.

What is an alternative. Besides giving them natural sunlight because my neighbor has a dog which can jump the porch and get to him.

factura5

5 Year Member
Woah boy! I bought myself the coil bulbs from zilla for my red foot. I'm glad I researched about it before I used it. I returned. I instead just sticked with mvb.

They say either mvb or use the long bulbs. Never use the compact one, which is the coil bulbs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best is a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) gives heat and the most UVB/UVA of any bulb. The UVB last longer then any other bulb. About a year, although I have been told longer, but also told about a year. The cost is more expensive though, around 40 and up. Searching the net can get you some cheaper ones some times. You can also get a 5.0 or 10.0 tube type, like a repti sun. The UVB isn't as good, but still good enough if you can get them outside, but these need to be replaced in about 6 months.

expo tort

5 Year Member
While now I have a serious problem. I can't replace his current bulbs because it's to expensive to replace. Does anyone have suggestions to lessen the effect on him. I know this isn't the optimal condition for my tort but I can't afford to buy him another bulb for at least two months. Please I need something to help him out.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you NEED to use a coil bulb for light, just hang it high. If for UVB, hang it so it points kind of high
towards a side rather than pointing it to the ground.

MVB vs. long tubes is partly a philisophical debate, partly a management debate. Tom has not had good luck with long tubes and is a firm believer in MVB.

There are some really interesting reports dealing with other species, however, that suggest that a low-output UVB is the overall better option for health (such as http://www.megaray.co.uk/downloads/artificial-ultraviolet-exposure-chameleon.pdf ). It makes a big difference which bulb you use, however, as some brands put out a lot less than others. (http://www.russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm ). Long tubes also lose effectiveness more rapidly.

MVBs combine light, heat, and UVA/B in one unit. Depending on your set-up, it may be a bit of a challenge to find that magic spot where it is not too hot or bright but you are still getting a good UVB exposure.

But, without natural sun, you really should offer some form of UVB lighting.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
wellington said:
The best is a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) gives heat and the most UVB/UVA of any bulb. The UVB last longer then any other bulb. About a year, although I have been told longer, but also told about a year. The cost is more expensive though, around 40 and up. Searching the net can get you some cheaper ones some times. You can also get a 5.0 or 10.0 tube type, like a repti sun. The UVB isn't as good, but still good enough if you can get them outside, but these need to be replaced in about 6 months.
For someone like me who only uses UVB at the end and beginning of the year... Joe's out in the garden full time in between and hibernates through the winter usually... a UVB tube is the economic one.

If your tort is indoors 24/7 then MVB is probably the way to go.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Wow thanks for all the replies and ideas. I should be able to get him outside with tom's dog proof cage since its summer in so cal. I should have all the money I need for his new bulb by winter so thanks again.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Like Mark said, coil bulbs are designed to be mounted horizontally. They are NOT meant to be pointed directly down into the enclosure.

The MVB versus long tube bulbs debate largely depends on your tortoise species, your enclosure, and the amount of exposure to natural sunlight the tortoise gets. Honestly, now that my juvenile is large enough to spend the majority of his time outdoors, I don't feel there is any need for an artificial UVB source with his indoor enclosure. I'm just using the MVBs as heat bulbs until they burn out, and I unplug them completely on days he is outside.

jennyBA

5 Year Member
Derbyshire UK
I am using a Komodo coil bulb and it is fixed horizontally, iv been using it for 3 months now without any problems.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.