UV Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
Hi, not sure whether this belongs here or in the "enlcosure" section. My question is about UV lighting. I know the coil is definitely frowned upon, but I was wondering what type people recommend. I found this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...ed-combo-heat-lamp-reptisun-5-0-uvb-lamp.html

Is it okay to double up like that? Is that considered a "coil" because it's not one straight tube? What is everyone's favorite UV bulb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one I believe is fine. The other, coil is not. Most use either a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) give heat, light and UVB/UVA or a flourescent (straight tube) type, light and uvb, no heat. CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat. It has heat, not light.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The one I believe is fine. The other, coil is not. Most use either a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) give heat, light and UVB/UVA or a flourescent (straight tube) type, light and uvb, no heat. CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat. It has heat, not light.

I have a CHE already. I have the fixtures for straight bulbs and normal/coil lights. I'll check into the MVP.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
If I understand it correctly, the issue lies not exclusively with "coil" or "spiral"-shaped bulbs; it is with ALL compact florescent bulbs. Not all compact florescents are spiral or coil-shaped.

The product linked in the OP is a compact florescent.
---------------
Barb is correct: using a MVB or a traditional tube florescent bulb for UV light is your best bet.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
If I understand it correctly, the issue lies not exclusively with "coil" or "spiral"-shaped bulbs; it is with ALL compact florescent bulbs. Not all compact florescents are spiral or coil-shaped.

The product linked in the OP is a compact florescent.
---------------
Barb is correct: using a MVB or a traditional tube florescent bulb for UV light is your best bet.

Thanks! I should have forewarned everyone that I am the type of person who asks 100 times and buys once. I'm not a big, "I think this will work and if it doesn't I'll fix it later". Why make an avoidable mistake? I'm going to make enough unavoidable mistakes as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.