are energy saver coil bulbs bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have read a lot of information in regards to the coil UVB bulbs being a "no-no" with tortoises.

Does the eye damage and problems that can occur stem from the UV that is emitted from a coil bulb, or is the coil shape itself?

If someone wanted to use an energy saver coil type bulb in an enclosure to supplement light without adding additional heat, would that bulb also have a negative effect on the tort's eyes?

This is something I have been wondering...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
This is what ive been hearing. The coiled type bulbs are the bad bulbs. Just like the ones we would use. In our homes, lamps, etc.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mainey34 said:
This is what ive been hearing. The coiled type bulbs are the bad bulbs. Just like the ones we would use. In our homes, lamps, etc.

can you clarify?

you are saying all coil bulbs are bad for the torts eyes? not JUST a coil UV bulb??
have you heard this through other turtle keepers? read it here on the forums? personal experiences with them?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Laura said:
lots of problems posted here....

but aren't all the problems people post here related to the coil UV bulbs?

i specifically want to know if a coil energy saver household light bulb would also affect a torts eyes.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've heard this here, about eye problems with coil bulbs, and that's why I switched to a tube.

But I did use a coil UBV bulb during the first month I had my leopard, and its eyesight did not fail in the least. It grew like crazy during that month and it had no negative side effects that I could see. It's always had eagle eyes and could spot me coming form a mile away.

I now use my old coil UBV bulbs in my grow tank with the catcti and clovers. But I'm still skeptical about the damage caused by coil style bulbs. If it was really that bad, would they still be on the market?

I dunno. It makes me wonder if coil bulbs are a part of evolution. If the animal is dumb enough to stare at it for hours and go blind, it shouldn't breed. :p

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
The coil bulbs are very bright. And they have been known to cause blindness in some tortoise when used for long periods of time to even short periods of time. They emit some very bright lumens and it just burns the eyes, I have heard.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
chase thorn said:
The coil bulbs are very bright. And they have been known to cause blindness in some tortoise when used for long periods of time to even short periods of time. They emit some very bright lumens and it just burns the eyes, I have heard.

I've heard this too, but what about the sun? Isn't that much brighter for torts living outside? Even most basking bulbs are extremely bright.

I'm just curious as to why the coil UBV bulbs are considered dangerous when there are may other much brighter light sources out there.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tortus said:
chase thorn said:

I've heard this too, but what about the sun? Isn't that much brighter for torts living outside? Even most basking bulbs are extremely bright.

I'm just curious as to why the coil UBV bulbs are considered dangerous when there are may other much brighter light sources out there.
Read the thread. Then you will understand...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Personally, I would not risk it. If the bulb were far away or had some sort of barrier like plastic between it and the tortoise, then I would worry less. I don't know if the UV coil bulbs cause problems because of the UV or because of the way the light is concentrated by the shape. Whatever the reason they cause problems, I just feel better using other alternatives that are known to be safer.

There is very little to compare here between the sun and a small man made bulb. That's like comparing the Pacific Ocean to my water dish. Just totally different things.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Please keep this topic about regular chill build, not UV coil bulbs...Terr are enough threads on that already.. I really wanna read that coil bulbs in the house thread.
What type of bulb can be used to add light in an enclosure that won't add more heat??

Oops i meant regular coil bulbs...lol...its my phones auto type..

And i want a light that can go onto a clamp lamp but won't add more heat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To fit your requirements of more light, but not heat, form a screw in type bulb look to the new LED bulbs. These should fit your bill perfectly. They ate a little more expensive, but they use even less electricity than the florescent bulbs and they last for a very long time. I have not seen a lot of these used over reptiles, but as far as I know they are safe.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There is a lot of different types of LED bulbs available now and they don't put off heat, Not sure about the regular coil bulbs, have read that there are studies going on about the effects on human eyes, but never saw the outcome of the studies,the results will probably depend on who does the study, the bulb manufactures or an independent group. Also there are so many different colors used in the process of creating light for the different types of LED bulbs not sure if they ALL are safe to use. I have been and probably always will be confused about lighting for reptiles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The UVB coils are not recommended for most reptiles. The house hold coils, like you are asking about has studies showing they aren't good for humans. So, i would stay away from any of them. I would also stay away from the LED's just for the fact that they are too bright to even look at, cant be good, just my opinion. A regular cheap fluorescent bulb from the hardware store or the like will work for regular light and not give off much heat.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Last week i added a 25 watt light bulb thinking it wouldn't as too much extra heat, but it has raised my temps more than i thought it would.

Studies about coil bulbs being bad for people too is interesting. this has definitely answered my original question .so thanks.

Maybe i will look at some LED lights..if i bought a frosted type bulb maybe the brightness of the LED wouldn't be so strong?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They have LEDs that work with a dimmer, or you could use something like this, I wasn't sure how to describe them so I took a pic of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.