Coffee Table Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ok so I've been bouncing this idea around in my brain since I got Franklin. I really want to build him a coffee table enclosure and I think I've finally found the perfect table. He's only 7 months old, so it would be a while before he outgrew this. Obviously I'd only keep him in it for the winter months and when it's too cold to go outside, but I think this would be so freaking awesome!!

What do all ya'll think??

http://pullman.craigslist.org/fuo/3517807995.html

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I could see that working very well! Go for it!

abclements

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I could see that working very well! Go for it!

The one thing im worried about is waterproofing it... but i think it wont be that hard...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would go for it also. You could always line it with a clear plastic for water proofing.

abclements

5 Year Member
Im doing it! I'll pick it up on Saturday and hopefully have it all put together by Sunday and then I'll post a bunch of pictures to get ideas and such!! Thanks for your support!

Thalatte

5 Year Member
To water proof you just need to lightly sand the wood then cover in 3-4 layers of polyurethane and it will work fine.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Go for it.....just don't forget to post when your done!!!!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad you snagged that! Look at the seams; you might need to use Silicone caulking too.

It is really nice looking and a great find.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Good ole Pullman and cheap craigslist finds. I miss it, haha. And being a poor student and dumpster diving. But I did once find a 29 gallon tank, a 20 gallon long, a 2.5 gallon tank, and the proper lights and stands by the dumpster. As well as working lamps and book shelves still in their original boxes never assembled...

Looking forward to seeing it! :D

abclements

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Good ole Pullman and cheap craigslist finds. I miss it, haha. And being a poor student and dumpster diving. But I did once find a 29 gallon tank, a 20 gallon long, a 2.5 gallon tank, and the proper lights and stands by the dumpster. As well as working lamps and book shelves still in their original boxes never assembled...

Looking forward to seeing it! :D

Isn't it amazing what people just randomly throw away!? It amazes me to this day what I can find by my Apartments' dumpster at the end of the semester!

I was just thinking this through. The wood on the coffee table is already sealed. If I put a liner on the bottom holding my 6 inches of substrate, would the wood swell due to the high humidity? Should I reseal it with something before I put substrate and everything in it? What would you guys suggest?

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I LOVEE this!!! This is exactly the type of thing I have been looking for to move Sami into while I am constructing outdoor enclosure for the Spring. I just have NOT been able to find anything that seems will work. Just gotta keepcheckin.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
You should reseal the wood. Poly becomes porous over time and things need to be resealed. Since you don't know the last time it was sealed its better to be safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.