Cleaning enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Ok so I have my baby sulcata in a small tank for now. I am using cypress mulch as the substrate and I keep it pretty wet. Well I have noticed that the enclosure and my tort start to stink pretty quickly after I change and clean everything. I am having to dump out and clean the tank at least once a week. I might even start having to do it more. The only thing I can think of is that all the moisture makes it smell worse. Not really sure. Does anyone else have this problem? I am assuming it is the poop and pee but I try to pick up the poop if I see it. Any suggestions or ideas? How often do you clean your torts enclosure? Could something be wrong if it smells so bad? I assume it is just the poop and pee cause my son says it smells like a barnyard. Anyway TIA :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir. However my enclosure is bigger. Small enclosure will smell faster. The coconut coir I like the best. I only have to change it out maybe once a year. I spot clean poop, although he, my leopard always goes in he soak, not his enclosure, he's such a good tort. Try a larger enclosure and the coconut coir, it might help a lot.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use plain, clean dirt from my yard in a 40 gallon tank. I don't deal with bad smells at all. It is kept moist and humid. I can't imagine it smelling bad enough to need weekly changes! Try a different substrate....

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I use coconut coir as well and I have only changed it out a few times in the last year. Mine poop in the bath or right on their food tile. I just stir it up every few days when I add warm water to it. Sometimes if the poop smells really bad it could be a sign for parasites. That's what happened with me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I use cypress mulch and it doesn't stink at all. Maybe you're keeping it too wet. I let mine dry out then I pour a pitcher of water over it and mix it all up with my hand. The mixing fluffs it up and adds oxygen to the substrate...plus it makes it easier for the babies to dig in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm wondering if your cypress mulch is contaminated. I had a batch once that was pretty smelly. Smelled kinda swampy, which is where is comes from, so... On your next batch try rinsing the mulch in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water really well before you put it in the enclosure. Or just try a different substrate. Eco-Earth is a pretty good one. I like orchid bark.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I use coconut coir. However my enclosure is bigger. Small enclosure will smell faster. The coconut coir I like the best. I only have to change it out maybe once a year. I spot clean poop, although he, my leopard always goes in he soak, not his enclosure, he's such a good tort. Try a larger enclosure and the coconut coir, it might help a lot.

I have seen that a lot of people use that. Do I get it from a pet store or from a place like Lowes? We don't have a pet store where I am so going to Lowes and getting the cypress is easy. I had him in a larger enclosure but it didn't stay warm enough and I thought he might be getting sick. So for now I am keeping him in the smaller home. My little guy poops when he takes a bath too but he also poops in his dish and in his home. Guess he is getting enough fiber, lol. Thanks for advice :)

wellington said:

I might have to try it since everyone seems to like it so much. Thanks :)

Momof4 said:
I use coconut coir as well and I have only changed it out a few times in the last year. Mine poop in the bath or right on their food tile. I just stir it up every few days when I add warm water to it. Sometimes if the poop smells really bad it could be a sign for parasites. That's what happened with me.

He poops in his bath and his food dish too. So there really shouldn't be to much poop in the actual substrate. That is why I am so confused as to why it smells so bad so fast. Might have to try different substrate. Thanks :)

Momof4 said:

Great, I hope its not parasites :(

emysemys said:
Well, I use cypress mulch and it doesn't stink at all. Maybe you're keeping it too wet. I let mine dry out then I pour a pitcher of water over it and mix it all up with my hand. The mixing fluffs it up and adds oxygen to the substrate...plus it makes it easier for the babies to dig in.

Even when it isn't that damp it still smells so I am clueless. Might change to a different substrate and check for parasites. Thanks :)

Tom said:
I'm wondering if your cypress mulch is contaminated. I had a batch once that was pretty smelly. Smelled kinda swampy, which is where is comes from, so... On your next batch try rinsing the mulch in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water really well before you put it in the enclosure. Or just try a different substrate. Eco-Earth is a pretty good one. I like orchid bark.

Hhmmm never even thought of that. I think I might try something else. Thanks :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I use cypress mulch, i keep my humidity @ 80% an i have no issues with smell...i spray it down. I also have a 60 gal. Enclosure. But you shouldn't be having that problem. Try what tom suggested. Put it in a bucket with water. Also do you have a gauge? For humidity?

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I use cypress mulch, i keep my humidity @ 80% an i have no issues with smell...i spray it down. I also have a 60 gal. Enclosure. But you shouldn't be having that problem. Try what tom suggested. Put it in a bucket with water. Also do you have a gauge? For humidity?

Yes I have a gauge for humidity and it is between 70-90%. I didn't think there should be a problem. I might try what Tom said or maybe just try something different for substrate. Maybe the coco coir stuff everyone talks about. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.