Chevy thread comments/age appropiate etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I am one of those who has to bring a big tortoise back inside for the winter. I don't see that he is stressed at all. He's happy and active and still has the option to go outside most days. Here again is someone making a judgment about a situation they are not close enough to understand. I dare anyone to come and meet Bob and tell me he is stressed and unhappy. Come and see him play outside in the snow...

Then we have those who say that Chevy is stressed out and tired from being handled too much, but then they say they haven't had much experience with hatchlings.

Well, I have. I have raised many hatchlings, over one hundred I think maybe two hundred and I held and handled all of them. I rubbed their heads and pulled on their legs and if or when that hatchling had to go to the vet he didn't suck himself all in his shell like one who was never handled. He was easy to treat as he kept his legs and head out from his shell. So if you haven't raised numerous hatchlings you aren't in a position to give an educated opinion. So don't.
Those pictures of Chevy with his eyes closed are because she was just picking him up from being asleep and like I said back in the very beginning Chevy is too cold and in that situation it takes a while for the animal to get his eyes opened. Chevy is too cold.
Katerina, how is Chevy today? Why are you not giving us an update?

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
maggie3fan said:
I am one of those who has to bring a big tortoise back inside for the winter. I don't see that he is stressed at all. He's happy and active and still has the option to go outside most days. Here again is someone making a judgment about a situation they are not close enough to understand. I dare anyone to come and meet Bob and tell me he is stressed and unhappy. Come and see him play outside in the snow...

Then we have those who say that Chevy is stressed out and tired from being handled too much, but then they say they haven't had much experience with hatchlings.

Well, I have. I have raised many hatchlings, over one hundred I think maybe two hundred and I held and handled all of them. I rubbed their heads and pulled on their legs and if or when that hatchling had to go to the vet he didn't suck himself all in his shell like one who was never handled. He was easy to treat as he kept his legs and head out from his shell. So if you haven't raised numerous hatchlings you aren't in a position to give an educated opinion. So don't.
Those pictures of Chevy with his eyes closed are because she was just picking him up from being asleep and like I said back in the very beginning Chevy is too cold and in that situation it takes a while for the animal to get his eyes opened. Chevy is too cold.
Katerina, how is Chevy today? Why are you not giving us an update?

Maggie if your referring to one of my posts then you did read all of my posts. If not, my apologies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Maggie makes several excellent points...AS USUAL:p

It got into the 20s last night and I don't mind saying that Aladar spends the night in the guest bathroom...in an Extra Large VariKennel floating with Timothy Hay and an oil heater not 2 feet from the gate! The room stays about 75-80 at night and he's quite content. I'm one of those who worries about theft more than anything else so I have no problem carrying him in at night...winter, spring, summer or fall! Truth is...he's usually waiting at the side door so I only have to carry him about 20 feet:p I will continue this practice until he is over 100 pounds and has a harem...then I will build him a shed of some kind! But I like the idea of him being in the house! I don't care how hearty they are!

Now! I don't know what's happened to FL over the past 10 years, but when I lived in West Palm Beach, there were two seasons...December and the REST OF THE YEAR! December would chill a about 75 and that's it! Then it would go anywhere from 90 - 120...with monstrous humidity! Is Orlando cooler...what is going on ...MARKAT...weather report please! Ignore the negative criticism and embrace the constructive criticism. Your love for Chevy is already legendary! Now turn up the heat and soaks (Vitasol is a GREAT cure-all) and turn this thing around! I plan to hear about Chevy for years to come!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Marty333 said:
Heres what it is right now http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Winter+Springs+FL+32708 Hopefully this winter won't be as cold as the 2008 winter!!!! got to 20 degrees here!! No snow though :(

Now Marty, be careful your posting updates about chevy on a debate thread. You and I know both threads are interconnected, but others do not and I dont want you to catch scoldings or sarcastic comments pertaining to you not knowing how and where to properly post your info. Yay...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
onarock said:
Marty333 said:
Heres what it is right now http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Winter+Springs+FL+32708 Hopefully this winter won't be as cold as the 2008 winter!!!! got to 20 degrees here!! No snow though :(

Now Marty, be careful your posting updates about chevy on a debate thread. You and I know both threads are interconnected, but others do not and I dont want you to catch scoldings or sarcastic comments pertaining to you not knowing how and where to properly post your info. Yay...

I asked in the post right before hers about the weather in FL...I lived there for a few years and NEVER experienced one cold day...unless you consider 75 cold:p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Onarock~I understood what you were saying. I think you have been very helpful.
Maggie~ I have seen your picture and you don't look like an old lady.
Marty~You and Chevy have become reality stars:) Also as I have said before I got my CDTs by accident and knew nothing (I have learned a lot) they were hatchlings and I felt like I was neglecting them if I didn't play with them and I swear they enjoyed it. I would let them walk around on the floor or in the bathtub (always supervised), I would rub thier heads and my son would let them walk around his desk while he did home work. And I am NOT young. They are a year old now and doing very well, thanks to what I have learned here. I swear they still like to be held and come towards me if they see me or hear my voice. I agree that NOBODY should get an animal without putting a lot of thought into it( I didn't take my babies to keep they needed a home and I took them and fell in love with them ) I think you put more thought into getting Chevy and caring for him than most adults I know that have gotten a pet. You also take better care of him than most adults I know. I am not talking about TFO people, but people I know in my real life not online . I plan to turn my back yard into a tortoise yard when they get bigger, but this is a scary time and I could have to move someday:( I hope not because like a tortoise I need a warm climate and lots of land:) BTW~ What are Greys?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Finally someone spells grey "GREY"! It's not "gray".The way I see it at least. Anyway, this thread has seen it's day. I see a new debatable topic from this - "Pit Bulls vs Greyhounds". Which is the more abused?

M

Maggie Cummings

harris said:
Finally someone spells grey "GREY"! It's not "gray".The way I see it at least. Anyway, this thread has seen it's day. I see a new debatable topic from this - "Pit Bulls vs Greyhounds". Which is the more abused?

I went to Catholic school until I got expelled in the 8th grade and I was taught it's "gray"...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
taste great? or less filling? you decide

S

stells

The English way of spelling it is Grey... as the American language is English... it should also be spelt Grey there too :p You also shouldn't miss U's out in words such as favourite :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kenny said:
Ok, I'm obviously wrong in all you're eyes, and thats fine. I did however state from the very begining that this is MY OPINION.

Hey, I think you have brought up some great points and are not all wrong. I do want to commend you for being brave enough to take a stand that goes against the mainstream thoughts, instead of quietly thinking them only to yourself.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I thought the color was gray and the hound was grey.
Marty~ Can you start a new thread telling us about the Greys?

Status
Not open for further replies.