How to attach clamp to basking lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi I am setting up a new enclosure for Chevy but I am stumped on how to attach the clamp that came with the basking lamp of his. The box that probably had the directions is long gone( my dad threw it away) so does anyone have a picture walkthrough or something that can help me?

Thank You,
Marta+Chevy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you mean that you've taken the clamp off the fixture? In my opinion, that was a good thing. I remove the clamps and hang the lamps. Its hard to get the light shining directly straight down when you clamp the fixture onto the side of the habitat, but hanging it directs the light correctly.

moswen

5 Year Member
ok sorry crappy pics but this is how it goes:

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

if you can see through the fuzziness in the second picture: first the screw goes through the top hole, and secure it as loosely as you can. then the big arch goes over the ceramic part at the end of the lamp. you have to do this first, and the last part is hard, i had to have my husband help me! 4 hands are definately better than 2. then once you get that done, just squeeze and work till you get the small round part of the top of the clamp into the smaller arch, and once you get it in, then you tighten the screw as hard as you can, bc it's really wobbly and won't stay where you put it unless it's extra tight.... i'm sorry i suck with directions, hopefully this helps, if not... then hopefully a good teacher can help you out!!

moswen

5 Year Member
Marty333 said:
Yes I did it!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!! Why do they have to make it so hard??? :p

ugh i have no idea...!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Marta, those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually. Yvonne is right. Don't us the clamp. Hang the fixture by the cord from straight over the tub somehow. I buy little "cup holder" hooks from OSH and screw them into something directly above my enclosure. You could go all the way to the ceiling if need be. Sometimes I build a little "apparatus" over the top of the enclosure to hang the light from too. The point is, you need to hang it, not clamp it. Many of us have started fires, broken expensive lamps and injured our tortoises when those clamps fail and the fixture with a hot, burning bulb falls right into the enclosure. Learn from our mistakes.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Tom said:
Marta, those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually. Yvonne is right. Don't us the clamp. Hang the fixture by the cord from straight over the tub somehow. I buy little "cup holder" hooks from OSH and screw them into something directly above my enclosure. You could go all the way to the ceiling if need be. Sometimes I build a little "apparatus" over the top of the enclosure to hang the light from too. The point is, you need to hang it, not clamp it. Many of us have started fires, broken expensive lamps and injured our tortoises when those clamps fail and the fixture with a hot, burning bulb falls right into the enclosure. Learn from our mistakes.

It is very temporary until I get the supplies I need can you show me a pic of what you are talking about?

moswen

5 Year Member
haha, on the post you just put up about his enclosure, if i remember right the shelf you clamped the lamp on had a little bracket under it, i like to clamp and hang, so i would clamp the lamp on the mounting bracket under your shelf AND wrap the cord around it a few times, that should do the trick, and it should be easy too! i'm impressed with your diligence to your little chevy, and i love that you ask questions, keep them coming!

moswen

5 Year Member
well, i didn't know it had your medals on it. if you want to move them, i would just hang your clamp lamp straight down, clamp it to the bottom of that mounting bracket, and wrap the cord around the same partof the wood that it's clamped to. (i know my paint skills are awesome, don't be jealous) like this:

030a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Rebekah!! You are truly an awesome artist! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.