check out this sulcata, dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
rehomed this guy and finally got him last week after a long quarentine. He had worms so it took a while to clear them.
He's very dark and has a pale head. Bold as brass. His tail isn't that big but it's on it's way, very pronounced gulars and rear spurs.

image_1356122352149475_zpsa7e6ffd4.jpg

image_1356122371166406_zps62f2c2ba.jpg

just look at the colour difference between him and one of our females.

image_1356122401149486_zps74526c2a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice. It's probably from being kept indoors without any real sunshine or UVB.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Yeah that could be it.
There is a dark variation though, not sure exactly where it comes from in it's range but they look very like this one. Known as chocolate sulcatas. I have only seen one other this dark and it was also here in Ireland so it's quite possible the two are from the same origin. Unfortunatley we know very little about this ones history as it was left at a zoo here.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes I agree with Yvonne. When I kept my sulcata indoors, he was very dark, but once he went outside full time, he really lighted up.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Cheers guys, your probably right. We have UVB lights and it'll be out as much as possible in the summer so it'll be interesting to watch how it turns out.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Very good looking colors, post pictures after he is out in the sun. I'd like to see the color change...

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I really like the dark sulcatas too. I've always thought it would be interesting to see someone breed a darker variation of sulcatas, its gotta be possible.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I like chocolate. What a unique tort. If his color is a result of lack of uvb pr sunshine, it should be very interesting to see the change in color.

thelub

5 Year Member
Is that what pyramiding looks like? or is that a natural texture of a sulcata?

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
thelub said:
Is that what pyramiding looks like? or is that a natural texture of a sulcata?

Yeah that's pyramiding alright, with sulcatas, as they receive the proper care, as they grow the pyramiding will reduce as the tortoise widens and gets longer. It'll never fully go away but reduce considerably.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have some very dark tortoises too, and 24/7 outside time has not lightened them with age. Sometimes they are so filthy they look 'sand' colored but they are very dark like the one you show here. I would be interested to see if this tortoise lightens up once outside, my guess is not though. Very beautiful regardless!

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Yeah it's amazing alright, and it's head is a lot paler than the usual.
would love to see pictures of yours.
Here's another dark one that is in Ireland and I'm pretty sure was kept in good UV conditions.

sullyno2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.