sulcata dark soft belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
so i posted a thread about my baby sulcata before and now i think the problem is getting worst and i needed to start a new one.

so i got my baby sulcata (around 6 months old now) in february at a reptile expo. he has these dark outlines on his belly and thats where it is soft. clearly I know that isn't good. so i started giving him extra calcium and now its summer out so i have him outside usually every day not. inside (20 gallon long fish tank) i keep him on cypress mulch now (used to be bermuda grass hay) with a 10.0 uvb bulb and a 75 watt heat lamp (my room gets really around 90+ in the summer so its gonna be bumped down to a 50 or less soon) his diet is spring mix salad mostly, green and red leaf lettuce, romaine hearts, collard greens sometimes, and some tortoise bites sometimes. (squash and banana like one a month and very very little of it) he eats very well to, maybe a little less then used to but idk if thats cause my dad is over feeding him when I'm not home( my dad thinks the more something eats, the bigger and healthier it will be -_-) his walking around activity seems to have slowed down a little to (maybe a little, might just be me over reacting) he seems to sleep a lot to i have noticed, more then he used to. also the humidity in the tank is between 40 and 50, with the temps at an average of 86.

if i forgot to mention anything let me know, pretty sure i answered it all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
maybe a little less then used to but idk if thats cause my dad is over feeding him when I'm not home

his walking around activity seems to have slowed down a little

he seems to sleep a lot

the humidity in the tank is between 40 and 50, with the temps at an average of 86.

I have to say that the things you outline here would concern me...sometimes what we think are subtle changes are exactly the things we need to pay attention to before things progress any further...tortoise are creatures of habit/routine...when you see the subtle changes those are actually much more important to pay attention to....

May we please see a pic of the affected area? I am concerned that you may be trying to achieve the humid enclosure method and if so then your temps are likely not correct----when you run constant humidity (50-60) and those readings are during the day/warmest enclosure hours then those readings jump significantly during the evening hours....what type of heat source are you running in the evening?

What substrate are you using at present...I read your other thread and am unclear on what you are currently using....

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
ascott said:
maybe a little less then used to but idk if thats cause my dad is over feeding him when I'm not home

his walking around activity seems to have slowed down a little

he seems to sleep a lot

the humidity in the tank is between 40 and 50, with the temps at an average of 86.

I have to say that the things you outline here would concern me...sometimes what we think are subtle changes are exactly the things we need to pay attention to before things progress any further...tortoise are creatures of habit/routine...when you see the subtle changes those are actually much more important to pay attention to....

May we please see a pic of the affected area? I am concerned that you may be trying to achieve the humid enclosure method and if so then your temps are likely not correct----when you run constant humidity (50-60) and those readings are during the day/warmest enclosure hours then those readings jump significantly during the evening hours....what type of heat source are you running in the evening?

What substrate are you using at present...I read your other thread and am unclear on what you are currently using....
cypress mulch at the at present. and i will have a picture up in a little bit, he's in the middle of soaking, and at night i don't usually have any light source cause its 80 in his enclosure as it is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with ascott. More detail on the four temps. Basking, ambient (all over), cool side, night time. The substrate you are using. A picture of the area would help a lot also.

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
here is a picture of the dark areas that are soft

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 199

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i don't usually have any light source cause its 80 in his enclosure as it is.

This is what I find some folks do and in doing so...the humidity climbs in the evening (more than you would think) and mix in with that the cold glass tank and high sides that don't allow air to flow---now, I am a believer that some humidity is good and necessary---however, if you are not able to be sure that you are able to maintain 80-85 ish temps during the night hours I would suggest that you either rethink the humidity method and/or use a humid hide versus entire enclosure humidity...you can also use a under tank heating pad or the heating cable under the humid hide to assure that it remains 80-85 temp and that combined with the humid hide will offer a place that is humid and also safely warm enough for your little one to retreat to if he desire humidity...a tort needs a way to heat up and allow its shell to dry out ---a healthy shell is one that can gain humidity when needed as well as allowed to dry out when needed....(this is my take and others have their own beliefs and practice)

If you are going to use the high humidity method---please please please pay absolute attention to your heat and humidity numbers...otherwise you can end up with a baby sick with RI or shell issues ....min temps should always be 80-85 (always) and a basking spot of 100+ and then the higher humidity levels are manageable and safe....again, this is my opinion...

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I agree with ascott. More detail on the four temps. Basking, ambient (all over), cool side, night time. The substrate you are using. A picture of the area would help a lot also.

basking- 95ish
ambient- 86
cool side- 82
nitetime- 79-80

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would bump your basking spot to allow for 100 and I would bump your night temps to 80-85 IF YOU ARE MAINTAINING A CONSTANT HIGH HUMIDITY.....:D

When I look at the pics are you referring to the shadowing of gray colors on either side of the seam up the middle? And is that the area that is soft? And when you say soft, do you mean like squishy ish or do you mean a little pliable?

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would bump your basking spot to allow for 100 and I would bump your night temps to 80-85 IF YOU ARE MAINTAINING A CONSTANT HIGH HUMIDITY.....:D

When I look at the pics are you referring to the shadowing of gray colors on either side of the seam up the middle? And is that the area that is soft? And when you say soft, do you mean like squishy ish or do you mean a little pliable?

yea, the gray on the side and up the middle, it isn't squishy,its like ill press on it and it kinda goes into him, i guess pliable?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
it isn't squishy,its like ill press on it and it kinda goes into him, i guess pliable?

Okay, fantasic :D So, I would say to consider setting up a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) and I would also plan on leaving it on, to begin with for about 6 hours and I would every two or three days begin to increase that time by an hour until you reach a full 8 hour run time...then see how he is doing....I would also plan on getting him out in the natural sun for at least one hour each day so he can get natural sun exposure (also provide a shady spot for him to regulate) and I would do this if your temps are at least 65 degrees (no rain, no high winds).....This is what I would do if I were you at this point....also, perhaps pick up a cuttle bone to leave in his enclosure with him....I would also be certain to soak him for no less than 30 minutes per day, especially if you are able to switch up to the MVB....just to be certain to keep him hydrated during that change....:D

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
ascott said:
it isn't squishy,its like ill press on it and it kinda goes into him, i guess pliable?

Okay, fantasic :D So, I would say to consider setting up a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) and I would also plan on leaving it on, to begin with for about 6 hours and I would every two or three days begin to increase that time by an hour until you reach a full 8 hour run time...then see how he is doing....I would also plan on getting him out in the natural sun for at least one hour each day so he can get natural sun exposure (also provide a shady spot for him to regulate) and I would do this if your temps are at least 65 degrees (no rain, no high winds).....This is what I would do if I were you at this point....also, perhaps pick up a cuttle bone to leave in his enclosure with him....I would also be certain to soak him for no less than 30 minutes per day, especially if you are able to switch up to the MVB....just to be certain to keep him hydrated during that change....:D
so it isn't as bad as i thought. i have him outside for about 8 hours anyway so that isn't hard. i used a power sun 100 watt but the thing broke after 2 weeks.
as for the cuttlebone idk what that is -_-

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of 10.0? Spiral or long tube? The cfl can damage their eyes.

This sounds lik a case of him being kept too dry before you even got him. What you are doing is all I know how to do. Your temps sound great. I hope he pulls through.

How much does he weigh now?

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What type of 10.0? Spiral or long tube? The cfl can damage their eyes.

This sounds lik a case of him being kept too dry before you even got him. What you are doing is all I know how to do. Your temps sound great. I hope he pulls through.

How much does he weigh now?

it was the zoo med power sun. and he went from 56 grams to 54 grams( just weighed him today)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The power sun is a mercury vapor bulb. Heat light and UV all in one. The 10.0 is a fluorescent bulb.

What wattage power sun are you using?

Andrewa78

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The power sun is a mercury vapor bulb. Heat light and UV all in one. The 10.0 is a fluorescent bulb.

What wattage power sun are you using?

its a exo terra repti-glow long tube I'm using.

i don't use a power sun anymore since it broke, I'm using the zoo med basking spot lamp 100 watt (just switched too a higher wattage)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
now its summer out so i have him outside usually every day not. inside

i have him outside for about 8 hours anyway

Oh hell, if you have him out in the natural sun (with shade :D) for this length of time then I would not be too concerned with upgrading to an MVB...(perhaps plan for that when winter months roll back around)....then keep doing what you are doing with the outside time/sun exposure....keep up the soaking....keep up food offerings along with him grazing (when he is outside grazing he is not able to access anything treated with pesticides/fertilizers right? :D

A cuttle bone is a calcium bar...they are usually in the bird stuff isle or there about....just make sure to peel off any backing from the cuttle bone and any metal hooks some of them have and simply lay it in his yard or enclosure---this will allow him to eat at the calcium as his body needs it and it also allows him to wear down his beak while doing so....

But while you have him inside I would make sure to keep your temps bang on to make sure he does not get a wet chill.....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds to me like you've got every thing right. If he does not recover and start thriving, it does not seem like it will be your fault in any way. You are giving him everything that you ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.