Coloured Pee Question

Arshi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi everyone!
Is coloured pee a concern?
My little buddy was peeing very light green/pale yellow for about a week then it went back to clear. But today I checked again and it was very yellow but not neon yellow .. more like dark yellow maybe even on the verge of being a light brown colour. It was very pigmented. I have a photos of both the lighter and darker pees on tissue so let me know if it would help if I posted them. What are your thoughts? Should I take him to the vet?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What species of tortoise is your little buddy? Is he a baby, or older?

As long as he is in no distress when he pees, like being in pain, and you don't see anything that looks or smells like blood, he is probably OK.

Dandelion will make pee orange. The color is probably related to what he's eating.

But if the pee smells really strong, or smells foul, or like blood, then he needs a vet.

I would just keep an eye on it, and try some different greens next time you shop. The color will probably disappear.

This is what I would do. We'll see if other members chime in with opinions.

Arshi

Canada
What species of tortoise is your little buddy? Is he a baby, or older?

As long as he is in no distress when he pees, like being in pain, and you don't see anything that looks or smells like blood, he is probably OK.

Dandelion will make pee orange. The color is probably related to what he's eating.

But if the pee smells really strong, or smells foul, or like blood, then he needs a vet.

I would just keep an eye on it, and try some different greens next time you shop. The color will probably disappear.

This is what I would do. We'll see if other members chime in with opinions.

My little buddy is a nine month old redfoot cherryhead tortoise. I am not sure if he is in destress when he pees because sometimes it sort of looks like he's pushing out pee and his head will go into his shell a bit. I don't know if this is normal or painful?
The pee usually does not smell like anything at all. I did not smell the strong yellow pee but next time I'm going to smell it again to check. I will buy him some new greens and see what happens from there ..
thank you for the advice :) i'll keep an eye on him

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Occasionally my tort looks like he's thinking about it when he pees. Like it takes concentration. And he pulls his head in, and right back out again.

There's nothing wrong with him...it's just something he does. It sounds the same as yours. Normal? Who knows. But it's normal behavior for mine.

Arshi

Canada
Has he been peeing any urates? And is he pooping OK?

He does get occasional urates. He barely drinks his water so I soak him for longer and try to hydrate him through foods or sprinkle some water on his food. He seems to be pooping alright but there are 1 or 2 days of the week where he won't poop - this has been a recent thing (not sure if maybe he is getting older and his metabolism is slowing down?).

Arshi

Canada
Occasionally my tort looks like he's thinking about it when he pees. Like it takes concentration. And he pulls his head in, and right back out again.

There's nothing wrong with him...it's just something he does. It sounds the same as yours. Normal? Who knows. But it's normal behavior for mine.

haha, ya my tortoise does the same thing. Maybe it is normal

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He does get occasional urates. He barely drinks his water so I soak him for longer and try to hydrate him through foods or sprinkle some water on his food. He seems to be pooping alright but there are 1 or 2 days of the week where he won't poop - this has been a recent thing (not sure if maybe he is getting older and his metabolism is slowing down?).

Keep getting as much water in him as you can. It sounds like you're doing a good job!

My tort, Sulafat, doesn't poop every single day. Or he goes in his hide and I don't find it. Either way, I don't think there's a problem there.

Arshi

Canada
Keep getting as much water in him as you can. It sounds like you're doing a good job!

My tort, Sulafat, doesn't poop every single day. Or he goes in his hide and I don't find it. Either way, I don't think there's a problem there.

Alrighty! Thank you so much for the advice :)