Cheap bulb to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
Currently I keep my 2 tortoises outside for around 5-6 hours a day so I dont have any UV bulbs in my indoor habitat, I only have two heating bulbs. I know this isnt the best thing to do, especially when fall/winter hits and I need to keep them inside all day. What is the cheapest bulb to get to help keep my tortoises healthy.

Thanks

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...None of them are cheap...however, the least expensive ones I have found were on www.petmountain.com for about $20. I use ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent (NOT ReptiGlo 10) tube bulbs for my Russians. You can get the fixture cheaper in Walmart or Home Depot. They need to be about 6"- 8" from your torts and need to be replaced about every 6 - 7 months. Even tho they still emit light, the required UVB rays wear out by then. Never use any coils or compacts as they have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems.
For heat, all you need is a regular household bulb in a clamp lamp from Walmart. This needs to be right beside the UVB bulb on one end of the enclosure. Just make sure your temps are correct. Walmart carries a digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire...Accurite brand...for $12. Set the probe under the basking bulb for about 45 minutes to get a correct reading. Adjust the watts of the bulb accordingly.
Hope this helps
Patsy

tortguy521

5 Year Member
there are not really any cheap bulbs that are actually good ones but i would reccomend the zoomed powersun bulb it emmits uva,uvb and heat all in one bulb i like it alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.