Winter heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well winter is almost upon us... after fall of course and I've been debating how to keep my impending tortoise warm and cozy. CHE's, Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs, or one of those red infrared heat emitter bulbs. Both for night-time and during the day on a thermostat to keep the right temp. They all have the pros and cons, CHE's I don't know much about but I've heard only good things and they don't produce any light only heat. The blue +red bulbs cheap and make heat. Which would you choose and why?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I use CHE for spot heat and keep room in mid to upper 70's. The CHE is more expensive but lasts a long time while bulbs burn-out in short time for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I first set up all my outdoor winter houses, I installed CHE (ceramic heat emitters) in each of them. I have many, many tortoises, and many, many outdoor winter houses. My electric bill was huge! I finally realized that a 60 watt black bulb emits the same amount of heat as the CHE and costs much less to run. So I've switched over from CHE's to black bulbs. Way cheaper!!

Yvonne

SleepyWilly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I see, how long does your bulbs usually last, and what size area can it heat up effectively?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One bulb usually lasts one season. My outdoor houses are on average about 4'x8' or maybe a slight bit smaller. I have one black light fixture in the middle of each house, and depending upon how many tortoises inhabit the house, one pig blanket in each corner of the house. The thermometer, which is off to one side, shows a steady temp of about 78 degrees, going down to around 65 degrees on the coldest nights.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.