BlueMaxâ„¢ 50w Umbrella CFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice.S

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Has anyone used this type of bulb?

In the debate between artificial and natural sources for tortoises to metabolise/use D3 and calcium, I have no specific point of view.

I see a Deer Fern Farms <http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Supplies.htm> (go to the explanation of UV bulbs versus Standard bulbs) relies on nutrients via food for this process and so focus their attention on light that offers heat and 'illumination'.

I found this bulb "BlueMaxâ„¢ 50w Umbrella CFL" at
<http://www.bluemaxlighting.com/50w_umbrella_345_prd1.htm> which has a high CRI as well as Kelvin and Lux. So, aside from the UV issue it hits the bells and whistles of light real well.

At $25 it's somewhat pricy, but so are so many bulbs that do less in terms of the 'illumination'.

Aside from how you get the nutrients in your animal, what experience with this bulb, if any, are out there?

Alice S.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The compact flourescent has been proven to be bad for not only humans but not really recommended by most of us as they could possibly cause eye damage/problems in torts too. I would not use in type of cfl. Stick with either mvb or regular tube type flourescent for UVB.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Like Wellington said, most of us stick with long tube florescent lights or mercury vapor bulbs (MVB). The Bluemax bulb is probably pretty decent UVA-wise, but a standard incandescent or halogen bulb is also very good. I use Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 tubes for UVB and add some low-wattage halogen lighting to provide more UVA.

Depending on how you go here for D3, this website is excellent for examining tube lighting and MVB ultra violet output:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubes.htm

Obviously, I like to provide artificial UVB during winter when my tortoises cannot go outside.

Alice.S

5 Year Member
Hi,

Statements like "The compact flourescent has been proven to be bad for not only humans but not really recommended by most of us as they could possibly cause eye damage/problems in torts too." Have little to no meaning if you don't reference what is your source, was it your brother, a Swedish Health Official conducting research on these bulbs, or Madge who cuts your hair?

What I found by following up on this claim are two 'health' related points, but several more about how they are not really 'efficient' at all. They create "dirty Electricity" which is a reference to 'background' electromagnetic energy (radiation) in your local environment, and when manufactured the phosphor coating inside the tub will fracture (not the glass tube itself) so more UVA and UVB escape the bulb. Apparently the real strong issue is the ballast is thrown away with each bulb, so they are made as inexpensively as possible, hence the dirty electricity that straight tubes do not have as much of, their ballast are made better, and sealed. Also the Phosphor coating inside the straight tube is not subjected to changing the tube shape, so that too, is less an issue, but not eliminated. All these things can be defined with a google search and the word "wiki".

So, I looked further at the manufacture of the CFL, and they make a T5 tube with a CRI of 93 and a K of 5900, the lumen per watt is slightly less than ten, so they give a great deal of high quality illumination. T5 (the diameter 5 = 5/8 inch) is only 46.5 inches long and will fit inside a four foot cattle trough, so it works for me, which is why I had interest in the CFL in the first place. I noticed not all cattle trough are exactly the same, so I see I have to measure them at the store.

Thanks for the thought provoking replies.

Alice S.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just for your information. I don't state things that I didn't see or read from a reputable source. Your sarcastic remarks are not really needed. Did really want to right a book about it either. They aren't safe. You want to risk it go ahead.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Many members on this forum have had issues with CFLs.

To the OP, you may find the following thread interesting and useful: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-53345.html#axzz247lDFeBq

In a nutshell, it is still a little inconclusive whether the problems people have had are due to mounting errors, or design flaws of the bulbs themselves...perhaps a combination a both.

However, in contrast, NO ONE has ever had an issue with traditional florescent tube bulbs (the only exception being T-5s which are not exactly "standard" anyway) and NO ONE has ever had a issue with MVBs (depending on the species - most people know not to use these on forest species like redfoots). So, the general consensus for CFLs is: why take the chance? Better safe than sorry, and think about what is better for your animals than what is more convenient for you.

Alice.S said:
So, I looked further at the manufacture of the CFL, and they make a T5 tube with a CRI of 93 and a K of 5900, the lumen per watt is slightly less than ten, so they give a great deal of high quality illumination. T5 (the diameter 5 = 5/8 inch) is only 46.5 inches long and will fit inside a four foot cattle trough, so it works for me, which is why I had interest in the CFL in the first place. I noticed not all cattle trough are exactly the same, so I see I have to measure them at the store.

Just FYI, the only T-5 bulbs made specifically for reptiles (that I have found) are the Desert Series made by Zilla. As a temporary lighting arrangement until I could revise it (I happened to have the bulb on hand) , I put one of these on some hatchling redfoots. It caused blindness within a couple days. Mind you, these were with forest species. I don't know how this bulb would fare with say, a sulcata, leopard, or Russian, but personally, I wouldn't suggest it. Go with ZooMed ReptiSun T-8s instead.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Alice.S said:
Hi,

Statements like "The compact flourescent has been proven to be bad for not only humans but not really recommended by most of us as they could possibly cause eye damage/problems in torts too." Have little to no meaning if you don't reference what is your source, was it your brother, a Swedish Health Official conducting research on these bulbs, or Madge who cuts your hair?

Alice S.

Hi Alice, this is not about your original question, but rather just about your quote above. I can't speak for Barb, just for myself, but here goes. First, I read so many threads on so many forums, so many caresheets, tortoise books, and that is even before going to nontortoise places to learn more (plus I have been doing all of this for many years), with my poor memory it is lucky if my mind can grasp and hold the basic information and details I learn, believe me it is rare I can have even the foggiest of ideas as to WHERE I picked the information up.

Second in places like this forum, most of the general public want the generally acepted overviews of something not detailed exact specs. This is what folks in here give, OUR OPINIONS, OUR EXPERIENCE, and what we have figured out from what we have read. If you want specifics with supporting evidence of why we say what we say, then you should ask for it in your original post. Then folks like Barb, will either not waste their precious and perhaps better used time answering your thread, but instead use it helping somebody seeking her help or doing something fun in the real world. When somebody takes the time and trouble to answer a posted question, it is very upsetting to see them treated this way. It is also one reason so many folks stop giving out advise, which does a disservice to all of us and to these special animals we are trying to learn to care for. This is not just directed at you, but at many posters in here, who especially lately seem to be very unthankful and rude to those who have taken the time to reply.

*steps off the soapbox*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Alice.S said:
Have little to no meaning if you don't reference what is your source, was it your brother, a Swedish Health Official conducting research on these bulbs, or Madge who cuts your hair?

Personal experience (that was shared here on the forum with pictures). Baby sulcatas with swollen shut, weepy eyes, and one that was eventually blinded.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Jacqui said:
Alice.S said:
Hi,

Alice S.

Hi Alice, this is not about your original question, but rather just about your quote above. I can't speak for Barb, just for myself, but here goes. First, I read so many threads on so many forums, so many caresheets, tortoise books, and that is even before going to nontortoise places to learn more (plus I have been doing all of this for many years), with my poor memory it is lucky if my mind can grasp and hold the basic information and details I learn, believe me it is rare I can have even the foggiest of ideas as to WHERE I picked the information up.

Second in places like this forum, most of the general public want the generally acepted overviews of something not detailed exact specs. This is what folks in here give, OUR OPINIONS, OUR EXPERIENCE, and what we have figured out from what we have read. If you want specifics with supporting evidence of why we say what we say, then you should ask for it in your original post. Then folks like Barb, will either not waste their precious and perhaps better used time answering your thread, but instead use it helping somebody seeking her help or doing something fun in the real world. When somebody takes the time and trouble to answer a posted question, it is very upsetting to see them treated this way. It is also one reason so many folks stop giving out advise, which does a disservice to all of us and to these special animals we are trying to learn to care for. This is not just directed at you, but at many posters in here, who especially lately seem to be very unthankful and rude to those who have taken the time to reply.

*steps off the soapbox*

emysemys said:
Alice.S said:
Have little to no meaning if you don't reference what is your source, was it your brother, a Swedish Health Official conducting research on these bulbs, or Madge who cuts your hair?

Personal experience (that was shared here on the forum with pictures). Baby sulcatas with swollen shut, weepy eyes, and one that was eventually blinded.

The thread provided by Studentofthereptile should sum up Jacqui's point very well. We're all trying to help each other out here and learn proper husbandry for our tortoises. This forum is not a scientific journal and I think you'll find few of us citing while responding to questions - and some of us are scientists! If that's what you'd like, be sure to notify the forum members that you'd prefer responses with citations only. Does this mean all the information provided on here is bunk? I vote no! There's keepers on here with decades of experience providing excellent insight and information.

I hope you find this resource as helpful as I and many others do and goodluck with your bulb decision. Please don't misread any tone in this response.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
StudentoftheReptile said:
However, in contrast, NO ONE has ever had an issue with traditional florescent tube bulbs (the only exception being T-5s which are not exactly "standard" anyway)Just FYI, the only T-5 bulbs made specifically for reptiles (that I have found) are the Desert Series made by Zilla. As a temporary lighting arrangement until I could revise it (I happened to have the bulb on hand) , I put one of these on some hatchling redfoots. It caused blindness within a couple days. Mind you, these were with forest species. I don't know how this bulb would fare with say, a sulcata, leopard, or Russian, but personally, I wouldn't suggest it. Go with ZooMed ReptiSun T-8s instead.

I use Arcadia T-5 with no problems whatsoever.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
yagyujubei said:
I use Arcadia T-5 with no problems whatsoever.

What species do you use them on, and is it a "desert series" or tropical series?" Sorry, I'm not familiar with the brand since its not commonly available over in the U.S. Give us as much details as possible. Thanks for the response.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I tried these out after reading a great deal. I put some T5 bluemax bulbs over plants and pancakes. Seems to be working out fine. The pancakes sprawl out to bask, and the plants are growing well. What I read on the page that was recommended in this thread, and which has many sub-pages down, but the one about blindness with some bulbs, not just CFL's talked about some sort of temporary situation, that the animals recuperated from. I don't like CFL's at all, but the T5 is a nice tube, lots of light, and some warming as well, from about 12 inches away, not much but maybe a 3 to 4 degree F uptick on the substrate immediately below the tube. I did not find Zilla T5 but see the Arcadia, and they are very pricy, almost exploitive over having a monopoly on that tube size.

Anyways, no blind pancakes, lots of light, healthy plants, and cost per lumen acceptable.

What are you actually doing with these tubes Alice?

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.