Changing substrate

Jodilee

My Russian tortoise is approx 8 years ols and has always lived on sand with NO access to water to either drink or bathe. Having joined this forum I have realised that she should be on coco coir with water access.

My 1st question is shall i leave her in the environment she is used to because changing to coco coir would upset her or shall I switch right over. She buries herself whenever she gets chance in our garden but she can only go out on warm days as I live in the Netherlands inNorthern Europe..

I've had her for three weeks and am tring to adjust her living conditions but don't want to do it too quickly incase it upsets her.

My 2nd Question
...She only eats green lettuce and apple at the moment and wont touch tomato or aný of the plants in out garden. I am currently reading the russian advice sheet provided on this forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Keep reading that sheet. It has all your answers about diet, substrate and temperatures.

Stop feeding any fruit. Its not good for them. Tortoises are creatures of habit and it will take a while to get your tortoise eating better foods that it might not be used to. Mixing in the new foods in small amounts with the lettuces that she already likes will help. They should be eating certain weeds and leaves. You'll have to learn to ID what you have around you.

Due to the sand, lack of water and poor diet, it is likely that your tortoise is carrying around a lot of sand in its intestines. Daily soaks for a wile will help to rehydrate your tortoise and hopefully pass and sand hanging out in there before you get a blockage.

Good luck and feel free to ask lots of questions.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jodilee welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . Have a great tort day

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jodilee

Ok will stop the fruit she won't be happy :( I'll tell her she can have our vine leaves and dandelions instead.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Great because candy ( fruit ) isn't good for torts unless it's from catus .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try switching from the fruit to dandelions (leaves and flowers), Belgian endive, and radicchio. These seem to be my Russians favorites.

Please remember the key to a healthy diet is good food choices and lots of variety.

Good luck!