Change of substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bextort

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I've had my Russian tort for 4 weeks now. When I first got her she was on sand and I kept her on sand for the first few weeks to try and help her settle.

Yesterday I swapped my substrate to coco coir which I didn't really know too much about before being advised on here to try it.

I bought it in a brick form and soaked in water for 30 minutes.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378901970.052643.jpg

My tort is out most of the day and when I came to put her in last night she didn't seem too fussed and just fell asleep in a different spot to where she normally does but no fuss.

I've just come home from work now and she was asleep with her head right out resting on the floor but woke as I began to nosy. Within 5 minutes she has completely buried herself
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378902112.199823.jpg

I know I probably sound like a worry guts but I am new to this and we'll worry lol the coco coir is still quite noisy - will this affect her shell? Can she breath whilst buried? If she doesn't come up what do I do? I ask this because it may sound daft but she has her own little routine and I know she's gone off exploring right now but if she doesn't come up to eat/drink what should I do?

These may seem really daft questions but I am so scared of doing something wrong and just want what's best for her :)

Thanks, bex

The coco coir is quite moist, not noisy. That would be worrying wouldn't it lol

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your questions are just fine, not daft at all. We all have been in your shoes at one point or another about different things. She will be fine buried, that's what Russians do and she can breath. If she doesn't come out on her own to eat or drink, I would get her out if she were mine. However, also check your temps and lighting to be sure it's right on, incase that may be keeping her from not coming out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That tort must feel like she won the lottery....these guys can burrow deep into the earth (well below a foot deep would not be unusual) so she is likely enjoying your remodel for her....and I would continue our routine as usual--if that means pulling her out of hiding then so be it...if the tort will not be brumating then a daily routine is very important to maintain..and after all, if you pull her out as part of routine then she will simply rebury and it will give her a bit of exercise...:D

bextort

5 Year Member
She's still hidden away now, hope she's ok under there.

What about the moisture in the coco coir?

Temp is between 70-80. Is that right? Any advice? I'm such a worried newbie lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ideally, taking into account at present that the coco is wet due to the soak and initial add that you will want to make sure that the overall temp stays no less than 80 until that substrate mostly dries up...then you can let the temp drop again at night and at the cool dry end....if you want to you can offer up a WARM humid area/hide in the enclosure so that if your tort wants to juicy up a bit it has that option...

bextort

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice.

I'm really missing her, she's been buried all day now - miss watching her mooching about.

Back to the routine thing ... Normally I would take her out but I've left her buried and she also hasn't eaten today. Do I leave her be?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Change of substrate

bextort said:
Back to the routine thing ... Normally I would take her out but I've left her buried and she also hasn't eaten today. Do I leave her be?

I like what ascott said, keep your routine. Take her out when you normally would. Feed her and put her by the dish when you normally would, etc
Let her bury herself when she wants but you can feel free to grab her if it means going outside :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.