Change of taste??

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My Franklin used to go crazy for dandelions, I'd pick them outside and buy them at the store and he'd love them, then I started mixing in romaine along with occasional kale and clover while I can still pick them. Lately since I started feeding romaine with dandelion more often he seems to have developed a preference to romaine and will dig through eat the romaine and leave the dandelion. I tried feeding him just dandelion one day and he just stared at it. I know romaine isn't as dietarally good as dandelion so I can't just keep feeding him only romaine. I'm nit sure what to do though. Is it possible with the change of season dandelion tastes.different now? I don't remember this happening last year. I have the zoomed grassland pellets that I occasionally mush up into his food when I feel he may need an extra dietary boost, he won't eat it on its own but snuck into food it works. But this is still only a temporary solution. Is there a way to make him eat dandelion again? Is he turning his nose to it for a reason? Would it be wrong to try to make him eat it again? And I know there are a huge variety they can eat but are there any as good to feed as the base to his mix other than dandelion?

Sent from my LGMS769 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop feeding the romaine. When he's hungry he will eat what's there. You should also make it a bigger variety then just the things listed

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I have 1 romaine heart left so I'll use that up tearing it and hiding it. I know he needs more variety but I keep hearing so many different things on what's good and bad. I know dandelions are good kale is ok sometimes, same with collards but I try not to get those since I remember being told those weren't good? I used to get spring mix every once in a while is that still good I've heard mixed things. Tomatoes are a once in a blue moon cherry tomato treat because it was his diet at the pet store and he gets terribly excited when he sees one again, even months apart he still knows what that red ball is and comes running. I fed hibiscus flowers and leaves when they were blooming as well but now those are out of season here. I remember reading a very helpful thread with a list of good Russian tortoise foods with the often and sometimes type foods separated but I can't seem to find it again because I've been trying to find it to use it to shop, anyone know where I may be? I just want the best but don't want to start feeding variety when guessing and possibly start feeding something quite wrong. :huh:

Sent from my LGMS769 using TortForum mobile app