Echo the picky eater

Brittani Paquin

Echo is a red-footed tortoise and is roughly 6 years old. He is an extremely picky eater. He was fed a main diet of romaine lettuce and tortoise pellets his whole life until we got him about a month ago. We're trying to steer away from the romaine lettuce and get some better greens into his diet such as kale, collard, or dandelion. He isn't a fan of any of them. We have resorted to putting kale or dandelion greens into a food processor and chopping them so small that he can't pick through them and they will stick to whatever fruit is in his bowl so he at least gets it into his system. His main diet consists of kale (barely), dandelion (barely), bananas, prickly pear, tortoise pellets, and tomatoes. He isn't a fan of mango or kiwi. Any ideas for getting him to love his greens? It's like having a toddler in the house. echo21.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome.
Have you found the caresheet for redfoots yet?
Probably under Species Specific.
I'll have a look and see if I can post a link.
I'm sure some RF keepers will be along soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you hit the nail on the head it's like having a child. it will take time for him to change, have you tried radicchio escarole and things like that?you have to be the adult and be patient the tortoise can throw all the tantrums he wants to. :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm right there with you shredding the greens and hiding them in his mush. Right now Vern will gladly take shredded grape leaves and red lettuce and he spits out pretty much anything else, especially kale and chard.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Keep trying, do not get frustrated. They are such stubborn creatures...... but they will come around eventually.

Luckily, our redfoot has not been very picky at all, ever. But we have had him since hatchling, and tried to always keep him on a varied diet.

Try mashing the banana up with the processed greens..... then he wont have a choice! haha

Try adding some grated squash/pumpkin to the mix as well....

Best of luck and try to be as stubborn as the tortoise!!!