Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My grandson bought a baby chameleon sometime last year. It was only the size of his little finger...very tiny and cute. He set it up in a nice habitat and gives it a lot of attention. He always referred to the cham as he and Devil Dog.

A few weeks ago Devil Dog started acting aggressive. Then he started spending a lot of time at the bottom of the habitat and digging under the wood. I posted this picture in another thread:

chameleon-1.jpg

He's down in the lower right of the habitat.

Then last week "he" deposited 4 eggs down in his spot.

This morning my grandson brought me a baggie:

100_0035.jpg

The glasses are there for size comparison. They're a little smaller than jelly beans and there are over 50 of them. Can you imagine watching a nest of baby chameleons hatching. How cute would that be? 50 or more little bug-eyed lizards crawling out of the ground!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what kind she is. But she's awful darned cute! (I'm not "into" lizards)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Very cool - You're not going to try and incubate them though are you? Seems to be a little late for that now.

Any pictures of the chameleon?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's never been with a male in her life, so no, I'm not about to try to incubate the eggs. I'll get a good picture of her next time I go to their house.

M

Maggie Cummings

Really interesting, he didn't notice she/he looked kinda ...FAT???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Funny you should mention that. She had been growing and eating well, but now that all those eggs are out, she looks very thin!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh wouldn't that have been cool to wake up and see all those babies!! (Yeah I know it ain't quite that easy) Kudos for your grandson, I thought those lizards were not so easy to keep happy and healthy. (and alive?)
We once saw a batch of Praying Mantis hatch out (Right terminology?) There were thousands, and all looked like Mom. Cool!!!
NAy

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm sure it was a veiled chameleon (almost no other species can lay that many eggs). Digging at the bottom is a sign they're looking for a nesting site, and if a nesting site isn't available, they'll drop them like that. They do sometimes retain eggs when that happens, though, so you may want to have him keep an eye on her. They will lay infertile eggs even without a male around. Often, even if there is a male around, eggs that are dropped randomly instead of put in a proper nest have pretty low hatch rates (somehow the nesting process makes them more fertile). I've hatched more of these guys out than tortoises. This brings me back to 2003 LOL.

BOXTURTLELOVER

5 Year Member
:tort: hi i wa wondering if you wanted to trade me a chameleon for a eastern box turtle???? contact me

Status
Not open for further replies.