Need some help and advice with chameleon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hi everyone x)
Im planning to buy a chameleon in a couple of months...
Right now Im looking for all kind of information and advice, because I want to be really prepared.
Does anyone has experience with veiled chameleons?
I live in a desert area, and I heard that they are used to high temperatures, So I was thinking about having it outside in a shaded place in a tall reptarium....
The only thing that really worries me, is that couple of friends have had chameleons but They couldnt ever keep them for long, since they died...
Im 100% sure that it is because they didnt do the correct research before buying it.... (You know how people thinks reptiles are easy thing)...
So ....I dont want that to happen to me :S
Any advice? :D
Thank you all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chameleons are easy, IF (big IF) you set them up right. Miss one detail and they won't live for very long. Veiled chams are a nice, hardy species. I really like them. Outside is fine with the right temps, but I'd set up and indoor house for it too. The main thing is hydration. They won't drink from a dish, so you need a drip system or some sort of automatic misting system. They lap water off of the plants or the glass. Everyone has gone to screen cages for them, but I can't maintain any humidity in a screen cage (Its too dry where I live). I used 2x2x4' tall glass cages and had great results with them. I used these indoors only. Glass is no good outside.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
if you want one to hold and mess with, a veiled is probably not the right choice. a panther would be better suited for that. however, if you are just wanting something to look at, veiled's are awesome. i had a female once and she was very cool.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
thanks for your advice :D
Enclosure its almost settled up!
its a big, tall reptibreeze!, its great
this week I will be filling it up with natural plants, and it will be divided into 2 sections, (as I will be getting a pair of chams).
they are both babies, and as soon as they grow up a little more, another XL reptibreeze will be buyed xD
I think veileds are the best option because, are one of the easiest chams around, and just like you mention it, I wont be playing around with them.
Well.. actually I will :p but one or two times a week wont be a bother for them xD
Im getting as much information I can get before I get them... you know how picky reptiles get to be.
Im also going to get and breed roaches, crickets and superworms!
Cant wait to get them in here !

Status
Not open for further replies.