Ceramic heat emitters

Katielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington NC
I have always had bad anxiety about fires since my sister apartment caught fire so of course I get a cherry head redfoot that requires high temps. My questions is, is it safe to use the ceramic heat emitters in regular dome lamps like pictures? Or do I need the wire ones? I won’t be leaving the same one on 24/7 which is why I got 2 each so I can use one at night and during the day. Mini dome is for the 60 watt and the bigger one is for the 100 watt

Attachments

• 525075A8-4BCF-4A2B-98D3-362101B2262A.jpeg
    525075A8-4BCF-4A2B-98D3-362101B2262A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • EE06C891-BDA4-40C4-B19E-C21ED62DE2EE.jpeg
    EE06C891-BDA4-40C4-B19E-C21ED62DE2EE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The metal one aims the heat down where you want it. The main thing is to get one suitable for the wattage you are using. I would not use it in a combo light. Be careful also of not burning yourself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have always had bad anxiety about fires since my sister apartment caught fire so of course I get a cherry head redfoot that requires high temps. My questions is, is it safe to use the ceramic heat emitters in regular dome lamps like pictures? Or do I need the wire ones? I won’t be leaving the same one on 24/7 which is why I got 2 each so I can use one at night and during the day. Mini dome is for the 60 watt and the bigger one is for the 100 watt
Looks like the dome is rated to 150 watts, so it should be safe. Check each dome you use for what the wattage rating is. Make sure the fixture is rated for more wattage than the bulb you intend to use.

Here are some tips:
-Hang the fixtures so they can't accidentally be put somewhere or get knocked over by a pet or by accident.
-Use a thermostat to control them. No need to switch them out and use them at different times. Use them both on either end of the enclosure and let the thermostat control them.
-Radiant heat panels work much better for heating a RF enclosure and they are much safer. You mount them to the ceiling inside the enclosure. They don't get hot enough to start a fire.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Sorry to hear about the fire AND it is important to be aware of what you install, it’s limitations, uses etc.

Although i hate linking to a Pet Store product, you want to make sure you use a CERAMIC base with any CHE and a thermostat. You can check Lowes or HD too, but many have plastic bases…

➡️➡️ 5. Diameter, 6' cord. Bathe your reptile in soothing warmth and light. Metal reflector features a ceramic socket and spring-loaded, swivel-head clamp. Dimmer adjusts heat and light! For incandescent bulbs 75 watt maximum. UL listed.

If you use these, don’t rely on the spring tension to hold the lamp. There are many ways, just don’t rely on the spring which can fail.

Use a thermostat to regulate temps.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
The metal one aims the heat down where you want it. The main thing is to get one suitable for the wattage you are using. I would not use it in a combo light. Be careful also of not burning yourself.
May I ask why not to use the combo light? I don’t rub them at the same time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
May I ask why not to use the combo light? I don’t rub them at the same time.
1. The deep domes can over heat your bulbs and shorten their life span.

2. You want ambient heat separate from the basking heat. Ambient usually goes over the middle to evenly heat the whole enclosure, and basking heat goes to one side. You don't need basking heat for a RF.

3. Most people get these at a pet store and the pet store sells them with a spot bulb or a red bulb (Both are all wrong for tortoises...) and a cfl UV bulb, which should also never be used for tortoises.

4. There are no two bulbs that should be in the same fixture over a tortoise enclosure. I can't think of one scenario where I would do that.

5. These double domes are not rated for very high wattage. Using two bulbs in it can exceed the wattage rating, which is a fire hazard.

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
1. The deep domes can over heat your bulbs and shorten their life span.

2. You want ambient heat separate from the basking heat. Ambient usually goes over the middle to evenly heat the whole enclosure, and basking heat goes to one side. You don't need basking heat for a RF.

3. Most people get these at a pet store and the pet store sells them with a spot bulb or a red bulb (Both are all wrong for tortoises...) and a cfl UV bulb, which should also never be used for tortoises.

4. There are no two bulbs that should be in the same fixture over a tortoise enclosure. I can't think of one scenario where I would do that.

5. These double domes are not rated for very high wattage. Using two bulbs in it can exceed the wattage rating, which is a fire hazard.
Okay this is what I got at tractor supply today. Please tell me I did right?! They take 250 watt I have a 100 watt Che in it and the other side a 60 but boy the lamp itself gets got! I feel like the ones from the pet store didn’t get this hot.

Attachments

• C731CC15-340A-4C8D-9457-55EEE1A45B1B.jpeg
    C731CC15-340A-4C8D-9457-55EEE1A45B1B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 78B41904-3939-4E85-BF32-D9C42D3BB1F0.png
    78B41904-3939-4E85-BF32-D9C42D3BB1F0.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay this is what I got at tractor supply today. Please tell me I did right?! They take 250 watt I have a 100 watt Che in it and the other side a 60 but boy the lamp itself gets got! I feel like the ones from the pet store didn’t get this hot.
That one is great. You can remove the cage thingy, as it is not needed.

One very important thing to know is: Do NOT use the clamp to hold this in place. Those clamps always fail and it can literally start a fire in your house. Hang the bulb from over head so that it can't ever be placed in the wrong area, and mistakes can't happen. ZooMed makes a lamp stand that you can use, or you can make your own stand out of wood or pvc pipe, or you can use something nearby like an over head shelf or something.

They sell a similar one at Home Depot that is rated for 300 watts. I get those, but the one you got should work just as well.

Have you found a thermostat you like? Should we make a suggestion?

Katielynn

Wilmington NC
That one is great. You can remove the cage thingy, as it is not needed.

One very important thing to know is: Do NOT use the clamp to hold this in place. Those clamps always fail and it can literally start a fire in your house. Hang the bulb from over head so that it can't ever be placed in the wrong area, and mistakes can't happen. ZooMed makes a lamp stand that you can use, or you can make your own stand out of wood or pvc pipe, or you can use something nearby like an over head shelf or something.

They sell a similar one at Home Depot that is rated for 300 watts. I get those, but the one you got should work just as well.

Have you found a thermostat you like? Should we make a suggestion?
I have the stands for both and this is the thermostat/humidity meter I use. You have a suggestion for the ones that turn on and off as needed? I think I need to up to 150 watt CHE as well as 77-78 is about as high as it gets. Also for humidity how do you feel about a Fogger/humidifier? My mister doesn’t seem to be doing the best and I’m worried it will make the bedding too wet/moist if I up the amount it comes on. Right now it’s every 2 hours for about 20 seconds.

Attachments

• 5D3D2217-B3E6-4508-9A25-73A18F5FD8C1.jpeg
    5D3D2217-B3E6-4508-9A25-73A18F5FD8C1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 90A6EF2B-96CF-4877-B241-86A457FC30B9.jpeg
    90A6EF2B-96CF-4877-B241-86A457FC30B9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6