Still confused about light fixture

cortneysigman

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone, I have done A LOT of searches and research on here and have changed my tortoises life tremendously so i appreciate all the advice! I have been doing a lot of searching on heat emitters and heat fixtures and so forth and I find myself very confused. I am wanting to use a 100W ceramic heat emitter (pictured below) and I currently have a double dome light fixture (pictured below). Are these safe to use together? When I put this ceramic bulb in the light fixture, it got hotter than normal. I was reading a lot about clamp lamps or wire cage clamps but I am just so confused. I have my fixture over my now enclosed enclosure with a hole cut out for my heat fixture. If anyone can help me that is much appreciated.

Attachments

• AD5BB3BD-07E9-4B47-A5AF-86A2744B9E55_1_105_c.jpeg
    AD5BB3BD-07E9-4B47-A5AF-86A2744B9E55_1_105_c.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8
  • C8B2CB2E-79E4-4584-83A2-81EB3B22CDF0_1_105_c.jpeg
    C8B2CB2E-79E4-4584-83A2-81EB3B22CDF0_1_105_c.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With that CHE you'll need a fixture compatible with a 100 watt or greater bulb.
These are usually ceramic and white or gray in color.
Hardware stores sell them.
Do not use a fixture rated for less than the bulb. And do not trust the clamps on those clamp lights.
Always double secure them with metal wires or zip ties or screws. Those clamps always fail and a 100 watt CHE can start a fire.

cortneysigman

Southern California
With that CHE you'll need a fixture compatible with a 100 watt or greater bulb.
These are usually ceramic and white or gray in color.
Hardware stores sell them.
Do not use a fixture rated for less than the bulb. And do not trust the clamps on those clamp lights.
Always double secure them with metal wires or zip ties or screws. Those clamps always fail and a 100 watt CHE can start a fire.

Hi, thank you for the response, I just don't think that answers my question. I understand wattage and not being able to put a bulb in a fixture that doesn't allow for that wattage. The double dome says it is safe for 150W on each side but I am only using a 100W bulb on one side and nothing on the other. What I am concerned about is the fixture material itself. Is the double dome safe for that bulb if the wattage is correct or do I need a different material fixture?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, thank you for the response, I just don't think that answers my question. I understand wattage and not being able to put a bulb in a fixture that doesn't allow for that wattage. The double dome says it is safe for 150W on each side but I am only using a 100W bulb on one side and nothing on the other. What I am concerned about is the fixture material itself. Is the double dome safe for that bulb if the wattage is correct or do I need a different material fixture?
If it says that 150 watts per side is safe, than your single 100 watt should work.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The purpose of the dome lamps is to concentrate-and-focus light-and-heat. So you will find that there is greater intensity with a dome than without one. Are you finding heat in the fixture and cord itself?

Though the cord-and-fixture may be rated for 100W, the hood may be holding too much heat. You are asking a product safety question that is best directed to the producer(s) of these products...do contact them about your concern. (Then report back, we're all ears! Well, it's the internet. So: we're all eyes!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I am not sure how those two dome fixtures work, if each of the two dome has their own cord/switch. I would caution that any heating device be run through a thermostat. If each side can be run on its own, then no worries, operate the CHE through a thermostat. If the two side have one plug, you might consider having the CHE in its own fixture which can be run through a thermostat.

Simple thermostats are will work well, you don't need some complicated device. If you seek a feature, then two set temps are the better feature to include. then you can have a day time, and night time "high" of heat. Here is one example, there are others. https://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc306t.html

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hello everyone, I have done A LOT of searches and research on here and have changed my tortoises life tremendously so i appreciate all the advice! I have been doing a lot of searching on heat emitters and heat fixtures and so forth and I find myself very confused. I am wanting to use a 100W ceramic heat emitter (pictured below) and I currently have a double dome light fixture (pictured below). Are these safe to use together? When I put this ceramic bulb in the light fixture, it got hotter than normal. I was reading a lot about clamp lamps or wire cage clamps but I am just so confused. I have my fixture over my now enclosed enclosure with a hole cut out for my heat fixture. If anyone can help me that is much appreciated.

The ceramic heat emitters are supposed to be used with the 'cages' instead of domes since the CHE get much hotter than a bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The double dome is rated for a 150 watt light bulb. CHEs run hotter than lightbulbs of the same wattage, so I would not run your 100 watt CHE in that. I've been using the 10.5 aluminum domed, ceramic based brooder lamp from Home Depot for decades with no issues with a dozen CHEs. They are rated to 300 watts. This one:
Remove the clamp and the guard wires and securely hang it from overhead. Also run it on a thermostat. I prefer this one: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Get two of those fixtures and you can run your heat lamp on a timer in the other one.

cortneysigman

Southern California
The double dome is rated for a 150 watt light bulb. CHEs run hotter than lightbulbs of the same wattage, so I would not run your 100 watt CHE in that. I've been using the 10.5 aluminum domed, ceramic based brooder lamp from Home Depot for decades with no issues with a dozen CHEs. They are rated to 300 watts. This one:
Remove the clamp and the guard wires and securely hang it from overhead. Also run it on a thermostat. I prefer this one: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Get two of those fixtures and you can run your heat lamp on a timer in the other one.
Thank you! This helps a lot!