OK to max out a light fixture?

Yar33

Location (City and/or State)
NH
I have a Flukers mini dome light that is rated for 100 watts max. Is it OK to run a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter in this? Concerned about maxing out the light fixture with a ceramic heat emitter as they get upwards of 500 degrees on the surface of the emitter.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Pictures please and is the fixture in the flukers dome ceramic? THe photos on the inner web appear so. It should be fine The CHE's have an intense surface temp but only pull the wattage listed. THe bigger question is the enclosure-where is your heat, is this for bask or overall heat, where is thermometer probe, and how do you have the dome light secured?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a Flukers mini dome light that is rated for 100 watts max. Is it OK to run a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter in this? Concerned about maxing out the light fixture with a ceramic heat emitter as they get upwards of 500 degrees on the surface of the emitter.
I'm going to say no. That 100watt rating is for an incandescent light bulb. These generate 80% heat and 20% light. Your CHE will run much hotter, and generate 100% heat, with no light.

In theory, you should be able to run a 100 watt bulb in a fixture rated for 100 watts, but I would not cut it that close. I use the fixtures from Home Depot that are rated for 300 watts, and only run 25-65 watt bulbs in them, with an occasional 100-150 CHE used in one.

Yar33

NH
Pictures please and is the fixture in the flukers dome ceramic? THe photos on the inner web appear so. It should be fine The CHE's have an intense surface temp but only pull the wattage listed. THe bigger question is the enclosure-where is your heat, is this for bask or overall heat, where is thermometer probe, and how do you have the dome light secured?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003I5QNGY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 Yes the fixture is ceramic, it is sitting on top of the wire mesh cover went with the 5.5" primarily for space, trying to keep as much of the wire mesh covered with plexiglass as I can to keep heat in and humidity up. This is primarily for heat at night on a thermostat, currently running a 50 watt emitter that barely does the job but I am setting up a new larger enclosure that will be more closed in. I am guess with the larger size I will probably will have to run two CHE for at night and a higher wattage flood for basking. I also have a 24" T5 10.0 UVB fluorescent fixture. Temps in NH are getting cold early. For the basking I am using the Flukers 8.5" 150 watt rated, using a 65 watt flood light, the hot spot gets around 100-110. Oh and my tortoise is a Jordanian Greek couple of months old.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, personally, I wouldn't have the CHE sitting right on top of the wire mesh. There are all kinds of ways to hang these things, but right on the screen top just doesn't seem good.

Good luck.

Yar33

NH
Greetings, personally, I wouldn't have the CHE sitting right on top of the wire mesh. There are all kinds of ways to hang these things, but right on the screen top just doesn't seem good.

Good luck.
Appreciate your feed back and agree should not be directly on the wire mesh, however, my question was about concerns for maxing out a reptile dome light fixture that was rated for 100 watts max with a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter, safe or not? I know the CHE's have a much higher surface temp the bulbs, hence my concerns. The light is temporarily on the wire mesh while I am getting the new enclosure setup. Did not need anything for heat at night until recently since the temperatures got unseasonably cold at night in NH.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A maz is only good for short term and think in matters of lights. a 100 watt bulb is way differnet from a 100 watt CHE. Get a dome rated to 300 watts and it will handle anysize CHE easily with no risk of overheating.

Yar33

NH
A maz is only good for short term and think in matters of lights. a 100 watt bulb is way differnet from a 100 watt CHE. Get a dome rated to 300 watts and it will handle anysize CHE easily with no risk of overheating.
Any recommendation for a 300 watt dome? I have not seen any that highly rated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Woods 300-Watt 6 ft. 18/2 SJTW Brooder lamp at Home Depot 14.95

Attachments

• BE511675-873B-4772-B8BC-C9EBA9B520B7.png
    BE511675-873B-4772-B8BC-C9EBA9B520B7.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 11