Castor oil for constipation?

Rocki

Location (City and/or State)
Chico CA
The inconsistency is that one says only feed mineral oil with food, another says that's dangerous. Thats what's inconsistent. The X-rays dont show any blades stones, but he released two of them, that's also inconsistent.
Also find it so off putting that some folks speak with this "please" attitude, is anyone here a vet? it seems the vets are clueless too though, so that's pretty irritating. I posted pictures of the stones he released and they are identical to all bladder stones Ive seen in pictures so far. The vet said they would call me back but they didnt, I called yesterday and today and they are irritated with me and Im the one watching him struggle. I sent a form to get copies of the X-rays, they say it could take 5 days, wtf can take 5 days sending a copy of an X-ray? Im about to get hostile.
Right now what makes sense to me is that he has something in his intestines bc that's what the 'Doc' says and because he is pushing so much he pushed out some small bladder stones he happened to have too that didnt show up in the x Rays. I gave him some mineral oil on a few strawberries he was down to eat ( and yes Im aware strawberries are not ideal but in this moment it makes sense to me that its better with the oil than with not, and the 'doc' seemed to agree). I put some mineral oil in his bottom not too far in and I think its ok as it wasnt far enough to reach a urethra . When I forced those ...people.. to talk to me on the phone earlier we came to that a feeding tube for water and some food would be good and an enema by them, and a calcium supplement are all on the menu. Question is prices and they would "get back to me" Im pretty sure it will be me getting back to them. If its too expensive I will call the Davis school.
Thanks for the help everyone I think Ill take it from here.

Last edited:

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
There is just a lot of inconsistent advise here, its making it hard.
Im not going to sit and do nothing so Ill just have to do what makes sense to me, along with the Vets advice, even though they drive me crazy.
Inconsistent advice...? Where? Everything explained here has been pretty clear...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello, is it ok to use castor oil instead of mineral oil for constipation? Rectally inserted. He is dangerously constipated, I believe he got in to some perlite. The vet is too damn slow and I’m not going to sit here and roll my thumbs watching Tobias suffer and potentially die.
thanks!!
I learned the following by accident because I went off and forgot about a tortoise I was soaking. A few hours later I came back to find a tub full of poop!

Clean your bath tub real good so there's no soap residue. Add enough warm water so it comes up to the middle of his sides - where the top shell meets the bottom shell. Then go away and leave him there. Don't worry about the water getting too cold. It won't get any colder than the temperature of the room. Just peek in at him every so often to make sure he's ok. Scrambling around in the tub, trying to get out, is the best way to get things moving. This has never failed for me.

Rocki

Chico CA
Got his x-ray! no bladder stones visible, but he release two quail egg sized stones for sure.
The intestines are not supposed to be so white, it indicates they are full of something dense. The vet say its looks like something mineral dense.

Attachments

• tempImageK6MQty.png
    tempImageK6MQty.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 19
  • tempImagef48SZ0.png
    tempImagef48SZ0.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • tempImageFyrqmI.png
    tempImageFyrqmI.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 17

howardb

CA
I am an MD, not a vet. There is dense material throughout the intestinal tract, as you already know. The vet school at UC Davis is great, and my guess is that they’ll be able to make a diagnosis if you can email the photos of what’s been passed, along with the X-rays, to a reptile vet there (you could send them to a reptile vet anywhere, actually). You should send much smaller files than the huge ones you’re posting! They might be willing to use this as a “teaching case” for vet students and charge a minimal amount (that’s just speculation).

Rocki

Chico CA
I am an MD, not a vet. There is dense material throughout the intestinal tract, as you already know. The vet school at UC Davis is great, and my guess is that they’ll be able to make a diagnosis if you can email the photos of what’s been passed, along with the X-rays, to a reptile vet there (you could send them to a reptile vet anywhere, actually). You should send much smaller files than the huge ones you’re posting! They might be willing to use this as a “teaching case” for vet students and charge a minimal amount (that’s just speculation).
Thank you much.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
He is getting better! yayayayyaayayay eating a little, pooped a few hard turds. His xrays are posted above.
<3
Great news.

His intestines are packed full of food. Nothing mineral-like showing there. Watch him to make sure he is not eating or accidentally swallowing ordinary dirt.

He is too dry and needs daily soaks if he does not drink. Hopefully you can get him to learn to soak and drink water on his own while he is still small enough to lift. Make sure there are shallow pools around the yard so he can get used to water as a Thing in his environment.

Rocki

Chico CA
Great news.

His intestines are packed full of food. Nothing mineral-like showing there. Watch him to make sure he is not eating or accidentally swallowing ordinary dirt.

He is too dry and needs daily soaks if he does not drink. Hopefully you can get him to learn to soak and drink water on his own while he is still small enough to lift. Make sure there are shallow pools around the yard so he can get used to water as a Thing in his environment.
Thanks, as he was munching on the lawn yesterday I did notice that a lot of dirt and moss was making its way into him also. How does one prevent that? just longer grass? Maybe it gets cut a little too low.

Also Ill be researching how to teach him to drink more in detail, any tips are welcome.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thanks, as he was munching on the lawn yesterday I did notice that a lot of dirt and moss was making its way into him also. How does one prevent that? just longer grass? Maybe it gets cut a little too low.

Also Ill be researching how to teach him to drink more in detail, any tips are welcome.
Most people use a rotating grass patch system so that animals are grazing long stems and weeds, and are trimming - not destroying - the lawn. As he grows, there will be less need to mow grass he has access to.

The swallowed dirt and woody moss stems will block him up, but will also keep him from digesting and absorbing nutrients. He may also swallow eggs of intestinal parasites when he eats dirt.

As for water. Soaking him every day gives him exposure to water, and will hydrate him. A hydrated body feels better, so in time he should associate the water with how he feels. A few large, shallow pans around the yard will keep "water" in mind. We have members with Sulcata that swim in deeper puddles and ponds, but any soaking/drinking he will do for himself is a Win. It's really a matter of exposure, access, and time.

Rocki

Chico CA
Most people use a rotating grass patch system so that animals are grazing long stems and weeds, and are trimming - not destroying - the lawn. As he grows, there will be less need to mow grass he has access to.

The swallowed dirt and woody moss stems will block him up, but will also keep him from digesting and absorbing nutrients. He may also swallow eggs of intestinal parasites when he eats dirt.

As for water. Soaking him every day gives him exposure to water, and will hydrate him. A hydrated body feels better, so in time he should associate the water with how he feels. A few large, shallow pans around the yard will keep "water" in mind. We have members with Sulcata that swim in deeper puddles and ponds, but any soaking/drinking he will do for himself is a Win. It's really a matter of exposure, access, and time.
Ok, much thanks!