Carl was DROPPED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I will never be letting anyone touch my baby again. Lesson learned.

A friend wanted to hold Carl, my 3 month old Hermann's tortoise, so I apprehensively let them. We were sitting on the floor, thank GOD, but she dropped Carl.

It was between 6 inches and a whole foot that he fell, and landed on the laminate flooring.

He seems fine, no cuts or cracks, but he was a little dazed and confused right after. Within five minutes, he seemed to be back to his normal self, even ate a bit and then burrowed for the afternoon once I felt comfortable enough to put him back into his outdoor enclosure.

If he looks and acts normal, should I still be concerned?

I feel like such an idiot for even letting someone else touch my baby :'(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's probably ok. It takes an awful lot to hurt a tortoise.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
He's small, and it wasn't very far at all, so I'm sure he's fine. I have to lug my large leopard up from the basement daily, and I think a drop for her would be disastrous.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Your friend probably learned more from holding Carl (and dropping him) than if you hadn't let her hold him. I'm glad Carl's OK. I hope your friend is OK, too:)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
Your friend probably learned more from holding Carl (and dropping him) than if you hadn't let her hold him. I'm glad Carl's OK. I hope your friend is OK, too:)

She didn't even care! I audibly gasped and was too shocked to say anything, but she picked him back up right away again and said "oops, well at least he has a shell, right?"I'm HOPING she said this because she felt so bad she didn't know what else to say, but knowing her, she probably wasn't concerned at all.

I'm glad that he should be okay, though. I knew I didn't need to take immediate action when he seemed to completely forget about his traumatic fall as soon as he saw a fresh dandelion in his food dish.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That is my biggest fear with my kids trying to help me carry them in or out of the house. I did it once and I just can't do it. I actually really never let them pick them up. I'm very protective. They don't really ask anymore because they are mine and they scratch!

So glad your little guy is ok!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nature did a pretty awesome job making this guys pretty well able to survive a lot and still keep ticking, believe me the energizer bunny doesn't come close to them, he just has better PR. ;) This whole thing was probally harder on you then it was on him.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
emysemys said:
He's probably ok. It takes an awful lot to hurt a tortoise.

Very accurate.

They are rugged.

He was probably a bite confused on what happened and shrugged it off. :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I am sure that he is fine. I am glad that you were on the floor when you let the child handle the tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While I doubt he enjoyed it, he more than likely had no harm done to him, they are built to withstand predator attacks with their shells, so a less than a foot drop is no big deal.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Jacqui said:
Nature did a pretty awesome job making this guys pretty well able to survive a lot and still keep ticking, believe me the energizer bunny doesn't come close to them, he just has better PR. ;) This whole thing was probally harder on you then it was on him.

:D oopppssss! guess that was a timex wasn't it that could take a beating and still keep on ticking. Or was it a licking? :rolleyes: :D

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
I'm such a protected mummy. I like to do everything for my torts. Won't let ppl hold them, I was the same with my daughter only I could cross the road with her in a push chair while I was around!!! Not that I was over protective just in places that I felt unsafe !!! Sure your tort was okay they are quite tough but do get easily stressed I have found :) x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
Jacqui said:

:D oopppssss! guess that was a timex wasn't it that could take a beating and still keep on ticking. Or was it a licking? :rolleyes: :D

Ha ha yes, timex, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Well if my memory serves me right.:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D It's one of those commercials that sort is there in my memory, but not really after all these years. Licking sounds more correct and rhymes too.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Glad Carl seems fine now. I'm sure he is just fine and no harm done. I am always worried about that when people want to buy a hatchling from me and hold them.

Glad Carl seems fine now. I'm sure he is just fine and no harm done. I am always worried about that when people want to buy a hatchling from me and hold them.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
if only my beardies would eat veggies like that period :D if it doesn't move they aren't interested :D

Status
Not open for further replies.